NRI's Continuing Internship In America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dggopal

Fluffy McFlufferson
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey does anyone know about how NRI's can complete the 1 year internship after completing 4th year MBBS in their own country? A lot of people I know have done so in the past but I'm unsure of how the process works out. I've heard that you can complete 3 months in india and most like get the community medicine posting out of the way and then go home and do the rest. Anybody who's actually done it out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I know quite a few people who've tried but most of the time the only people who managed the whole year were people who had contacts like family who're physicians or know hospital directors. Like say you hook up a 3 month rotation of internal medicine, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get surgery or OBG or whatever. But still it's totally worth it to try so when you're applying for residency you have that US clinical experience and also the American letters of recommendation. If you know doctors back home start talking to them now - if your parents have friends get them to hit them up for info, don't be shy abt using the Indian connection - just "auntie, uncle" everyone - it's what I did!

so like you did your commed in india and then did the rest back home? Sweet so it can be done.... yeah my family friends are like all docs so I guess I shouldn't have a prob... I hope...
Btw like how did that stuff work out with the administration of ur college and stuff... like did you just tell ur college u are gonna do the rest of the internship at home and then when you were finished you brought back letters of completion from the hospitals you interned at to get ur certificate or what? and when you came back to india did like the admin at ur college give you a hard time about giving you credit for the postings you did in america?
Sorry i got a lot of questions...lol... i really wanna do my internship at home... thanx for the help pos...:)

so like you did your commed in india and then did the rest back home? Sweet so it can be done.... yeah my family friends are like all docs so I guess I shouldn't have a prob... I hope...
Btw like how did that stuff work out with the administration of ur college and stuff... like did you just tell ur college u are gonna do the rest of the internship at home and then when you were finished you brought back letters of completion from the hospitals you interned at to get ur certificate or what? and when you came back to india did like the admin at ur college give you a hard time about giving you credit for the postings you did in america?
Sorry i got a lot of questions...lol... i really wanna do my internship at home... thanx for the help pos...:)

:laugh: you use the word "like" ALOT!!
I did comm med at my school but some people did that at home as well - I don't know if there is some IMC ruling about that, find out from your school's admin office. Once you finish final year exams and pass, you get a No Objection Certificate from ur school - ie to say they don't mind you completeing your internship elsewhere. Find out what the exact requirements are for each posting eg do you need to do 6 weeks of surgery, 2 weeks of ortho, 2 weeks ENT, 2 weeks ophtho or can you just do 12 weeks surgery. After you've done everything at home and you have all the correct documentation i don't think you even need to come back to India to get your degree. At our school we just send all the paperwork in by mail, they process it and then send you your degree - no hassles.
Start making contacts now, do an elective at home if you can, every little bit of US experience helps.