NRMP mailing lists-A listserv query

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quixoticus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was having this arguement with my friend yesterday about the new NRMP email that we got yesterday. According to me, this was a test mail sent to check whether everything is alrite with it.

If you look at the email headers, you can see that the mail originally was packaged by a listserv. According to me, they have two mailing lists for monday, one for matched and another for unmatched. While some of us have got our mail from louvi.ease.lsoft, others have got it from lychee.ease.lsoft. These are basically different IP addresses from where the mail has been sent..Last year, i went unmatched and i checked my mailing list and it was from louvi.ease.lsoft. This year, I got it from the same...and I am freaking out about it..:(

Anybody have any idea about this. My other theory is that it might just be alphabetical..but this is really freaking me out..

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting observation. Very Neurotic but I like when people bring up interesting details. Mine is from lychee.ease.lsoft. Considering something like 97% of people are succesful in attaining a match through the NRMP, if your theory was correct the vast majority of people would have one header and a small minority the other. I doubt it means anything personally, but who knows. When I got into med school I found out a week earlier (well suspected anyhow) because of a similar change to only some peoples status on the school admission website (we pieced it together on SDN :p).

Also, since some applicants apply to both prelim and advanced programs, wouldn't you need 4 different listservs or all possibilities (didn't match, matched prelim only, matched advanced only, matched categorical/both)?

Is it alphabetical otherwise..my last name starts with R

Is it alphabetical otherwise..my last name starts with R

This is most likely the correct answer. My wife's e-mail came from the same one as yours and she has received a "ranked to match" e-mail from a PD that she believes implicitly. Her last name is also in the second half of the alphabet.

So there's still hope :)

Thanks..Thats reassuring.. I have received emails from a program that I have been ranked to match too..But you just cant trust the Program Directors..But I think its true, its according to alphabetical order or something more technical..

How do you even find which list yours was sent from? It's not listed anywhere obvious on my email.

Oh, I figured it out. Mine is from louvi.ease.lsoft.com. My last name starts with a C though. I ranked 11 FM programs and my application is pretty good, so what a loser I am if I didn't match! I don't think it means we matched or didn't match, but I'm not so sure about the alphabetical theory either.

Last edited:
You have to go to your email header for that. Email headers are usually hidden. Uncovering it depends on the email client that you are using. In Microsoft Outlook you can get it by right clicking on the mail and going into message options.

In gmail, just next to reply button there is a drop down list and you have to click "Show Original" in that. Same sort of thing for yahoo too

this just freaked me out. how do I check mine, I have HOTMAIL.

thanks alot! but for some reason i cant find that on hotmail!

thanks alot! but for some reason i cant find that on hotmail!
I am not sure where to find it in hotmail as i dont have an hotmail account. Try right clicking on the mail in the inbox and see if you get options or properties which may take you to email headers

hey that worked! I have
louvi.ease.lsoft

My last name starts with an "N" so I guess thats the second half of the alphabet?

i'm pretty freaking neurotic but the neuroticism on this sight makes me feel sane.

I commend the OP. This is how we uncovered many tricks of the residency/USMLE trade over the course of the last few years. I think these investigations are healthy.

Allright, I couldnt resist the temptation...mine is from louvi.ease.lsoft.com and my last as well as first name falls in the second half of alphabets.

Mine is from lychee.ease.lsoft and my last name begins with K.

louvi.ease.lsoft.com

My name is is the last part of the alphabet and I am couples matching.

I'm not worried about it. :)

hey guys don't forget to do the survey on the other thread....

anyone with louvi.ease.lsoft.com. that ranked over 12 programs and is very confident that they'll match?

Are all you guys AMGs or IMGs, I think that would be important as well since 97% of AMGs match and only like 47% of IMGs match.

hey I posted on the other page as well.

Did anyone have 0 interviews and still rank to get the scramble list? Please include the list you were on as well.

anyone with louvi.ease.lsoft.com. that ranked over 12 programs and is very confident that they'll match?

Are all you guys AMGs or IMGs, I think that would be important as well since 97% of AMGs match and only like 47% of IMGs match.
Thats true..People with louvi.ease.lsoft are not completing the survey in the other thread..That is explaining some part of the discrepancy..I am an IMG by the way..

Anyone who applied last year and still has the NRMP email from the week before the match who could see if the listserv correlated with match/not match status?

Anyone who applied last year and still has the NRMP email from the week before the match who could see if the listserv correlated with match/not match status?
Last match..I had louvi all along and did not match..But it might not mean anything..

edit: dammit I checked it again it was the other listserv sorry guys, that's what I get for trying to help

Again, I don't think this is any indicator. My wife (AMG) ranked 10 programs in Psychiatry and got a "ranked to match" e-mail from a PD (at fairly uncompetitive program) and got an e-mail from this address. Not to mention she ranked her home school which would take her in a heartbeat. Basically there's a 0.00000000001% chance she'd have to scramble.

But feel free to freak out if you'd like.

thank you, for your reply. it's hard not to freak out, especially when you're an IMG going for a fairly popular specialty.

thanks again, I am sure the servers are random and are just done to prevent server strain. I know one hospital where I rotated had 7 servers and when people signed on it would put them randomly on a server and depending on the server the network would either be really fast or really slow. I am sure this is the same way.

Does anyone know of a thread that is more historic than this one on SDN? What I am seeing here is unbelievable...all the best to everyone..I hope you all match...but this is crazy.

thank you, for your reply. it's hard not to freak out, especially when you're an IMG going for a fairly popular specialty.

thanks again, I am sure the servers are random and are just done to prevent server strain. I know one hospital where I rotated had 7 servers and when people signed on it would put them randomly on a server and depending on the server the network would either be really fast or really slow. I am sure this is the same way.

Damn, I was too slow with the edit. I checked again and it her e-mail was actually from the other one. I really was trying to be helpful... but in the end I'm an idiot. Sorry again folks.

Damn, I was too slow with the edit. I checked again and it her e-mail was actually from the other one. I really was trying to be helpful... but in the end I'm an idiot. Sorry again folks.
LOL..

Just as I was about to close this thread before spreading any more panic..Anyone with more than 12 IVs and very confident of matching with mail from louvi.ease.lsoft???

This should put you all at ease and end the discussion:

I went back through my old emails from the NRMP. ALL emails directed to me from "NRMP Staff" originate from louvi.ease.lsoft.com. Even emails dating back to Jan. 14th. If they were somehow sorting us out based by ranked/unranked, they would have to have some sort of time machine (which I'm not ruling out but...).

NRMP like any other companies will create their mailing list 2 ways:

1. They will add you to their mailing list during your registration.
2. Create mailing list when you submit your LOR.

If they go with option 1. Majorty of people whom get emails from first server probably register during the same period

If they go with option 2. Majorty of people on each server submitted their LOR at the same time frame.

I bet you anything, if you change your email address and profile at NRMP. You will start to get emails from another server

Either way, you will be added to one list or another base on your registeration or submission and not your match result.
user_online.gif
progress.gif

This should put you all at ease and end the discussion:

I went back through my old emails from the NRMP. ALL emails directed to me from "NRMP Staff" originate from louvi.ease.lsoft.com. Even emails dating back to Jan. 14th. If they were somehow sorting us out based by ranked/unranked, they would have to have some sort of time machine (which I'm not ruling out but...).
I checked it out yesterday..One of the mails prior to rank submission was from lychee.ease.lsoft. After rank submission, everything has been louvi.ease.lsoft.

The best way actually to answer this is to understand whether these different domains mean anything or it is just your email client rejecting one domain and accepting another..

But at the same time its true that it is easy to create two domains for separate mailing lists.

Can't believe I am doing this but I also got louivi.ease.lsoft and last name is first half so I don't think alphabetical theory is true.

I checked it out yesterday..One of the mails prior to rank submission was from lychee.ease.lsoft. After rank submission, everything has been louvi.ease.lsoft.

The best way actually to answer this is to understand whether these different domains mean anything or it is just your email client rejecting one domain and accepting another..

But at the same time its true that it is easy to create two domains for separate mailing lists.

Maybe, something changed with your account and caused it to switch you to another listserv. The point is, i've been on the louvi.ease.lsoft.com since at least Jan14 (the earliest I looked at) and there is no way they could have lumped me into the "not ranking" group at that point.

Maybe, something changed with your account and caused it to switch you to another listserv. The point is, i've been on the louvi.ease.lsoft.com since at least Jan14 (the earliest I looked at) and there is no way they could have lumped me into the "not ranking" group at that point.
That's true..i don't have an answer to that...maybe it is an email client thing..

the email from NRMP that talked about not using the paid scarmble services which was emailed to us after the ROL was due was sent to me via the lychee.ease.lsoft server, the email we got yesterday was sent via the louvi.ease.lsoft server.... I think it's random or at least I hope it's random.

I take it everyone posting on here isn't very confident in the fact that they'll match either because of low number of interviews or because they're IMGs.

Last edited:
I had an email from 1/27/10 from Lychee. I'm assuming this is all paranoia. I have 12 places ranked & Did rather well on my boards, and I don't see how I didn't match. My concern is hoping to match in my top 4-5. I am a US-IMG, but of the 50% that matched in 2009 the average step was not that high (211) and the average rank list was about 6 programs. I think we are paranoid for no reason

Maybe IMGs get louvi and American grads get lychee? I am a US allo grad and I got lychee.

AMG, Surgery, 9 interviews, 250+ step1/2, AOA, essentially sure I matched at my number 1 (home program where I worked with PD, Chairman who wrote me an outstanding LOR)... lychee on 1/14 (Main Res Match Opening) and 3/8 (schedule) and louvi for 1/27 (NRMP Webcasts). Relax

haha thanks, that prob laid alot of concerns to rest.

AMG, Surgery, 9 interviews, 250+ step1/2, AOA, essentially sure I matched at my number 1 (home program where I worked with PD, Chairman who wrote me an outstanding LOR)... lychee on 1/14 (Main Res Match Opening) and 3/8 (schedule) and louvi for 1/27 (NRMP Webcasts). Relax

Well, coming from the lychee server for the 3/8 NRMP Schedule email would indicate that you are in the potential "matched" group, right???

yeah so far there's still no one that's pretty confident that they'll match and who got the last email from the louvi server. so i guess the theory still lives.

Labeling the listserve's matched and unmatched ignores the in betweens. Matched to advanced but not transitional year, matched to preliminary postion only, etc. Doesn't really make sense, but still it has been interesting investigating this.

Labeling the listserve's matched and unmatched ignores the in betweens. Matched to advanced but not transitional year, matched to preliminary postion only, etc. Doesn't really make sense, but still it has been interesting investigating this.

chances are these servers mean nothing, but what else do 4th year med students have to do than obsess over matching..

Alrite..one more try..what abt people who matched last year or the year before..ie if they still have their emails

some one did..

SeaBreeze12 louvi.ease.lsoft.com

I'm not worried about it.

some one did..

SeaBreeze12 louvi.ease.lsoft.com

I'm not worried about it.
This is still from this year..