NRMP mailing lists-A listserv query

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. NRMP Staff - 2010 Match Week Schedule (louvie) date = 3/8
2. NRMP Staff - For Profit Scramble Services (lychee) date = 3/3
3. NRMP Staff - Ranking deadline approaching (lychee) date = 2/17

I dont think it matters! Rank list was due 2/24 and I have received emails from both lychee and louvie after the match has been decided. I am an AMG applying to a medium competitive specialty with 20+ programs including TYs on my list.

some scary stuff...almost there...good luck everyone!:smack:

Members don't see this ad.

Okay. Hopefully this will ease some concerns. Like I said in a previous post, I got louvi and I ranked 11 FM programs (not a historically hard specialty to get in to). I would be more than shocked if I didn't match. I'm a DO. Top 10% of class. 230s on USMLE 1. Better scores on COMLEX 1&2. Lots of extracurricular activities. Had some great interviews. Had a few PDs email me directly telling me they would love to have me in their program.
I think we should all relax and assume it doesn't mean a thing whatever one you got.:)

last name W, got it from lychee

Damn, I was too slow with the edit. I checked again and it her e-mail was actually from the other one. I really was trying to be helpful... but in the end I'm an idiot. Sorry again folks.

which other one do you mean?

Ok, stop freaking out.
Last year I matched, and my last year email is from LOUVI.
This year I'm re-applying cause I'm switching specialties. Recent email is LEACHY.
It's all random!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

so who wants to call nrmp and ask them for an official reason for the 2 different servers?

so who wants to call nrmp and ask them for an official reason for the 2 different servers?

The person who answers the phone is going to ask, "what the **** is a server? I just send emails."

I'm an AMG applying for IM and have AOA, top 10% of my class, 250+ on Step I/II and am ranking 16 programs. So by all objective standings I should be a competitive applicant. I have Louvi as my server, thank you all for making me panic!

one day we will all discover all the secrets of nrmp

Louvi. Received 4 definite "ranked to match" communications and other semi-definite.

I cannot believe the lengths that people will go to on this board to make other people freak out. Please stop with the crazy

I am really sad that you people will actually be doctors in a few short months.

please take a deep breath, and remember how stupid you are acting at this moment when you all match

I don't know if this will help or feed your neurosis, but I have received emails from both lychee and louvi both before and after ROL were due and I am a competitive AMG who ranked ten programs in a non-competitive specialty, I feel very confident that I will match. So I think you guys need to chill out. For realz.

Don't go all Twilight on us. That's all we need.

It was so close.

I almost posted a thread yesterday asking when someone was going to suggest some crazy way to tell in advance whether you've matched or not. Last year, it was something to do with logging into the NRMP site and clicking on a certain link and seeing what happened.

A similar thread occurs every year. This two server thing means nothing.

Of note, if I want to have two different mailing lists (or listservs or whatever you want to call them) there is absolutely no reason to have them on two different servers. One server can manage two lists without much problem.

Given the volume of emails they need to send out in a short burst of time, they simply have 2 (or more) servers to process all the mail. It means nothing more than that.

A similar thread occurs every year. This two server thing means nothing.
Yeah man... listen to this dude... don't freak out :scared::scared::scared:there is no conspiracy :idea:, there is no trend to find, things will be fine if you worked hard:thumbup:, didn't act like a complete A hole in your interviews, were totally honest, and weren't overzealous:smuggrin: in trying to match to Derm or Radio with a subpar USMLE score. Things will work out :thumbup::D:thumbup::D

I get this strong feeling that the "NRMP: Charting Outcomes for the Match" document this year contains an additional parameter under an appendix titled either "Booya" or "Bazinga".

Finally..the jury is split on this.i guess...

1. Most of the applicants got their mails from lychee (74%)
2. Alphabetical order does not seem to play a role in it.
3. People with mails from louvi are as competent and as likely to match as lychee.
4. There is a reason that this forum is called student doctor network forum--no one seems to have an idea on how mailing systems work.:p
5. And NRMP needs to be told to stop sending emails (with no helpful content) a week before match..either to check their mailing systems or whatever the hell they are doing..
6. This is why we need the chinese (they have hacked into 6000 companies last year).;)

I guess all we can say is that this theory is a bust.:thumbdown:

Quixoticus

overwhelmingly "lychee" - shld we be worrried?

Well at least it was entertaining for the time being; and even though the thread was about a how we could get around what seems like a our life up to this point--one long waiting procedure (step 1- 4 weeks, step 2ck-3 weeks, step 2cs-2months, step 3-tbd for myself anyways) and the nrmp match. While neurotic it felt better to have some (very small) amount of control if only for a brief moment of time, and everyone working together was fun.

Well at least it was entertaining for the time being; and even though the thread was about a how we could get around what seems like a our life up to this point--one long waiting procedure (step 1- 4 weeks, step 2ck-3 weeks, step 2cs-2months, step 3-tbd for myself anyways) and the nrmp match. While neurotic it felt better to have some (very small) amount of control if only for a brief moment of time, and everyone working together was fun.
Yes it was..The most annoying aspect of the wait is that you know the whole match process takes 7 minutes only..

Newman! :sendoff:

Hello I have got four e-mails from nrmp staff like,

1. NRMP Staff - 2010 Match Week Schedule (louvie) date = 3/8 at 7.43 pm est
2. NRMP Staff - For Profit Scramble Services (lychee) date = 3/3 at 7.59 pm est
3. NRMP Staff - Ranking deadline approaching (lychee) date = 2/17 at 10.37 am est
4. NRMP Staff- Main residency ranking opening(lychee)date= 1/14 at 8.00pm est

Hope the last e-mail from louvie is not pathological. Did you guys get four e-mails from nrmp staff.

thanks

Last edited:
I did not want to write to this thread but I could not resist the urge.

Me and my friends made a whole bunch of money way back in time BEFORE the internet,
on FIDO networks. Believe me 25.000 messages is NOTHING considering the capacity of the servers we have today.

Even last month a friend of mine demonstrated a 50 MB/second data transfer between two computers which were rented for 10 dollars a month from a regular web hosting firm.

You would even not need a dedicated server for sending out 25.000 emails. a common computer connected to a fiberoptic line would simply do it in seconds, you can even buy software and a spammer list for 50$ and send 100.000 emails a day from your home.

Discrepencies in louvie and lychee poll is making me worried.

I did not want to write to this thread but I could not resist the urge.

Me and my friends made a whole bunch of money way back in time BEFORE the internet,
on FIDO networks. Believe me 25.000 messages is NOTHING considering the capacity of the servers we have today.

Even last month a friend of mine demonstrated a 50 MB/second data transfer between two computers which were rented for 10 dollars a month from a regular web hosting firm.

You would even not need a dedicated server for sending out 25.000 emails. a common computer connected to a fiberoptic line would simply do it in seconds, you can even buy software and a spammer list for 50$ and send 100.000 emails a day from your home.

Oh, so you're the a%% sending all that spam with the bad grammar.

Also to explain things further, sending an email is done by a simple unix command, if you want to send a message to thousands of people it would be a very simple thing.

to clarify things more let me explain how mass mailing works by simple steps,

1. create a message body: which in our case is around 3 kilobytes.
2. add recipients: lets assume an average address length of 25 characters; 25x30.000 recipients= 750 kilobytes. names of recipients lets assume 40 characters
per name; 40x30.000= 1200 kilobytes.
3. add 2 characters (commas) to separate each address and name: 2x30.000=60 kilobytes
4. add 255 bytes of data to each file, in our case we have two files one is the message body, the other is the comma separated text file which has the addresses and names; 255x2=510
4. the total amount of data to be transferred from the NRMP operators computer to the email server is 510+60.000+1.200.000+750.000+3.000=2.100.000 bytes (around) which is roughly 2 MB of data which my home computer would transfer in TWO SECONDS, and a corporate intranet would transfer in 0.25 SECONDS.

Now do you still think you need separate computers for mass mailing.

things are different when the data reaches the mail server,

every mail address and name are parsed and matched to the message body and than transmitted which sum up to 3070 bytesx30.000=92.100.000 bytes of data which is roughly 90 MB's. considering that an average web hosting server (which costs 10 dollars a month) can transfer up to 50 MB of data per second (the maximum I have witnessed) the mailing process would require TWO SECONDS.

so the total time required to transmit data would be 2+2 = FOUR SECONDS, lets add 10 seconds to be fair to the server to parse the data, it will be FOURTEEN SECONDS to send a message to 30.000 recipients on a decent network.

WHY ON THE FACE OF EARTH WOULD YOU REQUIRE MULTIPLE MAIL SERVERS FOR SUCH A SIMPLE TASK ?

Any computer major student would write the script to run very efficiently in less than a day...(for data transfer and server side mailing, not applicant selection database)

We will see in less than a week...

@Parmax -

so you are basically saying that there is no way that listserv would require 2 different servers to send out the "are u matched" mail unless they deliberately divided the applicants into 2 grps (matched vs. Unmatched)?

Well, lychees are a delicious fruit so I would definitely choose them for my good list. Louvi is either some fake louis vuitton rip off server or some poor way to write Louisville. Sorry, louvi, bad news!

Oh, so you're the a%% sending all that spam with the bad grammar.

No, we were the ones that made sure you could communicate with the other side of the word in under 2 hours for FREE, this was BEFORE some naive a%% ever knew about emails, as you did not have internet, (neither did we) just search wikipedia for fidonet...

ps my roommate is guaranteed to match in IM and he got louvi. so I doubt it means anything

So I'm going into IM and got louvi. There are several people on the IM board who got louvi. So maybe it is specialty related.

Also someone posted that they got louvi last year and matched when someone else didn't. Regardless of whether they should need two servers it appears that they used twolast year and it didnt correlate.

@Parmax -

so you are basically saying that there is no way that listserv would require 2 different servers to send out the "are u matched" mail unless they deliberately divided the applicants into 2 grps (matched vs. Unmatched)?

what I think is, they have been sending emails in batches and every batch is assigned to some server (probably randomly), but every user in that batch gets the message from that server.

considering the distribution of the messages in this forum one might come up with a theory which can NOT be verified.

the majority of the users in SDN are AMGs (as far as I can see) 75% may represent the ones who matched to a categorical position, and will be getting one kind of message on the 15th of march.

the others may represent prelims, advanced, and couples, and finally un matched ones, but this is only a theory about why they would categorize applicants and emails to be sent in different batches.

anyway do not believe in any theories we are just having fun until the 15 th. its kind of exciting to think about this stuff, makes you relax and leave reality for some time...

Last edited:
can anyone who matched/unmatched last year share which listserv. they received?

can anyone who matched/unmatched last year share which listserv. they received?

quixoticus got louvi and did not match. diel got louvi and did match. so if last year holds true, this did not mean anything. that being said, it would be helpful to hear from more people.

quixoticus got louvi and did not match. diel got louvi and did match. so if last year holds true, this did not mean anything. that being said, it would be helpful to hear from more people.

Why would it be more helpful to hear from more people? The proof is right in front of you: if one person from each server matched, then the servers obviously do not distinguish based on matched status.

Furthermore, you all have largely ignored the issue that there are actually 4 results: matched/unmatched for PGY2 and PGY1. Actually, there are also people who don't submit a rank list at all. How do you reconcile this with only 2 servers? That's a hypothetical question, please don't come up with more conspiracies to answer that question.

Bottom line is chill out and enjoy the rest of fourth year. Monday will be here soon enough.

Last edited:
I am in the couples match and we are both matching to categorical residencies only. Our match list had possibilities for both of us to match or for me to go unmatched and not the other way around.

I most recently have been lychee.

She has been louvi.

So, either it means nothing or louvi is the matched list.

This thread is hilarious. I am posting in it just so I can be a part of SDN history. :laugh:

Interesting observation I had to check my emails. Last year I went unmatched and received an email using louvi.ease.lsoft.com. This years email was sent via lychee.ease.lsoft.com. :laugh::laugh: Could be a coincidence... but I am really looking forward to match this year:xf:. Good luck everyone:luck:

This thread is hilarious. I am posting in it just so I can be a part of SDN history. :laugh:

I echo this, this thread is both the most insane and most historic I've ever seen in my long history with SDN, and I wanted to be a part of it. God I hope I remain mellow and don't ever become this neurotic again.

So this thread is actually making me feel like I'm less neurotic than a good chunk of residency applicants. And dude, I'm neurotic. And yes, I agree that it ranks up there with some of the craziest notions that have ever been posted on SDN.