NRMP Match List Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FatKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a couple of questions about the NRMP match list.

1. Some Anesthesiology program are Categorical and some are Advanced. With the Advanced ones, they require you to find your own Transitional Year Internship??

2. In terms of the NRMP rank list in February, are there separate rank lists? Like, how do you go about ranking categorical, advanced and transitional year programs? I do not want to rank a transitional year program, get into it, and then not match into Anesthesiology because I ranked transitional year higher than it.

Sorry for the confusion, but I don't understand how NRMP rank list works when you apply to all different kinds of programs (categorical, advanced, transitonal year etc..)

Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Some do and some dont. There are programs that have ins with internships that are local and encourage you to apply there. but for the most part you are free to find an internship anywhere you like to rank.

2. Your rank list is like this (example)

1. Vandy Categorical
2. Vandy Advanced (subset of internships)
3. JHU Advanced (subset of internships)
4. Oklahoma Categorical
5. JHU Categorical
etc.

so you can rank advanced and categorical in any order, and then with your advanced spots you can rank individual internships. this helps you not to match at an advanced program in Washington state and an internship in Florida, unless thats what you want. you could rank only baltimore or maryland intenships with your JHU rank, for instance.

1. Some do and some dont. There are programs that have ins with internships that are local and encourage you to apply there. but for the most part you are free to find an internship anywhere you like to rank.

2. Your rank list is like this (example)

1. Vandy Categorical
2. Vandy Advanced (subset of internships)
3. JHU Advanced (subset of internships)
4. Oklahoma Categorical
5. JHU Categorical
etc.

so you can rank advanced and categorical in any order, and then with your advanced spots you can rank individual internships. this helps you not to match at an advanced program in Washington state and an internship in Florida, unless thats what you want. you could rank only baltimore or maryland intenships with your JHU rank, for instance.

Hi idoiopathic,

so you have to do a separate internship rank list for every advanced program that you put on your rank list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi idoiopathic,

so you have to do a separate internship rank list for every advanced program that you put on your rank list?

You can make as many intern lists as you want. You can attach a separate list for each program, or you can make one or two and use them for different cities.

Categorical Program A
Advanced Program A - PGY1 list X
Advanced program B - PGY1 list Y
Categorical Program C
Advanced Program D - PGY1 list X
Advanced Program E - PGY1 list Z
etc
etc

ah i see. thank you.

so i guess it is not much of two lists, as you do your MAIN list for anesthesia and then attach intern lists to the advanced programs.

so should you rank all the categoricals all before the advanced programs? does it matter??

sorry for all the questions, but the rank list is kind of confusing!

thanks so much!

everybody feels differently. some people want to do internship at a certain place and therefore only rank advanced programs, others only want to do 4-year programs and rank accordingly. most people are in between. i have heard that most programs have the same rank lists for advanced and categorical so overall your chance of matching goes up if you rank both types, but it probably only matters to you what order they are in.