Nsf reu

leavingprov

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2007
  1. Psychology Student
    Has anyone heard of this grant, or done it before? http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/list_result.cfm?unitid=5054

You go to a school in the US and they hook you up with a mentor (for undergrads only :)), you work on research and such. I am thinking of applying to it, just wondering if any of you grad students have done it before

I did an REU in the boonies of Oklahoma at Northeastern State U (I'm a lifelong New Englander, so it was a bit of a fun culture shock). I think each school is different, so your experience will probably depend on the faculty, level of organization of the program, etc. I had a really fun time at mine but it was almost more like 'camp' than research. I think this was because it was the first year of the program, so it was quite disorganized. I recall taking some ethics workshops (interesting) and a really basic stats class (horrible) in addition to my haphazard research project, where we spent a large portion of the time dealing with IRB. In the end, though, I definitely learned quite a bit and managed to put together a poster.

I think that many of the programs have been around longer and you would be even more likely to get more out of it. I definitely enjoyed mine and I'm even talking about it in my personal statement as a 'formative experience'. So, yeah, go for it! :)

About the Ads
    This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    7. This thread is locked.