NSLIJ pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennifer Lop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
How is the NSLIJ pathology program? I am going there for interview on Jan. 12. didn't get much information on the internet. their surgical sample number is huge ~60,000. but it is a small program, 16 residents. How is the training there? does anyone know?
it is a university affiliated program, but it is perfect to me in terms of location.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
How is the NSLIJ pathology program? I am going there for interview on Jan. 12. didn't get much information on the internet. their surgical sample number is huge ~60,000. but it is a small program, 16 residents. How is the training there? does anyone know?
it is a university affiliated program, but it is perfect to me in terms of location.

NSLIJ??
what does that even stand for?

16 residents is not a small program. 8 residents is a small program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good choice for a chairman - he is a big resident advocate from what I have heard. I'm sure the program will benefit greatly.

people in other forum say this is a good program. let me go and see.
Thank you guys for input.

Long island is expensive. but is it that horrible?
I have been in New York city for 8 years. I don't have a car and don't drive. still i love new york and any place near New York city appeals to me. haha...

North Shore Long Island Jewish.

I'm glad some people can stand long island. I spent 48 hours there once, it felt like 3 weeks.

Umm yeah...gonna have to say pass on that one

I did not interview at NSLIJ because they were not offering positions through the match the year I applied. It appears that they are now. You will likely have to see for yourself how the program is as it seems to have had some recent changes.

I will say that Long Island is a nice place to live. Housing is expensive but most programs have a higher than average salary +/- housing stipend +/- inexpensive housing options. It says on FRIEDA ( http://www0.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/pgm/0,1238,3003521245,00.html ) that they make $56500 as PGY1s with 4 weeks vacation and 60 sick days. Sounds like you could basically spend your summers at the beach, although I'm guessing that's far from the reality.

Living on LI is not for everyone, but it's real problem it that too many people want to (and do) live there.