NSU-COM Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Florida and am currently a teacher with a wife and son. I live about 1.5 hours north of the NSU campus and will be applying this year. I drove down yesterday to look around the area (never been to the campus before). I liked the campus and the area seems nice. I would love to hear from some current students about the housing situation (I did see some apartments across the street). Another question, where do you do your rotations during your 3rd and 4th years? Are the locations near the NSU campus or not?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

surprised you haven't gotten a response. I graduated from NSUCOM in 2003, but moved out of the S FL area almost three years ago. I lived right across from the school, in Cedar Key Apartments. VERY nice apartments, and my rent was like 960 for a two bedroom with large ceilings.

If you want to stay in S FL, there are a lot of options available for your rotations. You pretty much can rotate in Palm Beach, Broward, or Miami Dade, with several different sites in each county. Hopefully some of the current medical students can help you out with more detailed info (I did my rotations in Tampa).

Q, DO

There are a lot of different options for housing. A lot of students, myself included, live in the apartments across the road from the school. I live in Cedar Key, which is closest. SunForest and Poincinia Lakes are also close and several students walk to class from these apartments as well. They are actually closer than the oncampus dorms that some students live in - well Cedar Key is anyway.

As far as rotations, this link might help.
http://medicine.nova.edu/academics/clinical/core_rotation_sites.html

Good Luck!
AUdacious
NSUCOM M1

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. I was beginning to wonder where all of the NSU people were. I saw the Cedar Key apartments when I drove around the area. Those are in a great location - I can see how people walk from there. Do most students continue to live in the same location and just commute to the various sites for rotations? I also didn't realize that you could do your rotations in another area (like Tampa). How does that work?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by dradams
Thanks for the input. I was beginning to wonder where all of the NSU people were. I saw the Cedar Key apartments when I drove around the area. Those are in a great location - I can see how people walk from there. Do most students continue to live in the same location and just commute to the various sites for rotations? I also didn't realize that you could do your rotations in another area (like Tampa). How does that work?

Thanks again.

Halfway through your 2nd year you put a list of the places you want to do your rotations at. A month or two later you'll find out where you'll be. I wanted to head up to Tampa because I just didn't like S. FL, but there are definately good training sites in S FL.

Q, DO

For off-campus housing, check out this site, from the NSU website:

http://www.och101.com/nova/

Like the others have said, there are many places around the campus that are really nice. I already lived here, and kept my house, which is 20 minutes north of campus. I like being away from the school, though. It keeps me more focused. But it is nice being across from school, and having the library there.

I hope the link helps. Best of luck!

Thanks again for the informative replies.

Hey everyone,
what are the chances of obtaining in-state tuition if you are out-of-state. Do you know if there are any loopholes which can get you in-state tuition, or know anyone that has gone through this process? thanks much.

I wouldn't count on getting in-state tuition through any loopholes. As it is, they ask us to provide lots of documentation to prove we are in-state residents, including past taxes filed in the state of florida, voter's registration, etc. The only possibility I could think of is if one of your parents lives down here. Other than that, you are pretty much stuck w/paying for out-of-state tuition for the 4 years.

Sorry. I wish I could have given you better news. Maybe someone else knows somthing that I don't. Hang around for more responses.