NSU COM Residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fusefanjay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping someone could explain the required transitional-osteopathic year residency thing to me.

1. I have been accepted to NSU COM, but what is the thing with Florida requiring an extra residency year?

2. Does this year count towards your residency (i.e., would you do 1 "transitional year" and 2 years in an IM residency, instead of 3 years in an IM residency)?

I'm really clueless on this, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice in FL, MI, PA, etc you have to get your internship year approved by the AOA or do an AOA approved internship. Many IM residencies in FL that are AOA residencies already have it incorporate to where you only have to do 3 years total, not four. It all depends on where you go and what you choose to do. Some residencies, whether you do allopathic or osteopathic, require an internship year. Just do an osteopathic one and you do not have to worry about it. It is not that big of a deal. The AOA often approves of most internships.

I wouldn't even worry about this as it will likely not even be a factor when you graduate. The AOA in the past year has changed the recomendation that all DO graduates participate in a rotating internship. This is therefore going to reduce the spots available for the said interships. This will lead to the Osteopathic Boards having to remove this mandation. Follow me. The board follows the AOA, since they changed the board will as well. It will take a few years however. We were told this past year that for the 2009 maybe 08 classes this would likely not be a factor by the time we were to apply for a license. Hope that helps.