NSU- KPCOM 7 or 8 year BS/DO acceptance 2019?

GunningForInternalMed

Nova Southeastern University BS/DO 2027
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup guys,
I interviewed at Nova Southeastern University (NSU) around January for their 8 year BS/DO program and was accepted. I was wondering if there were any more of y'all out there! PM me if you got in as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are really limiting your options

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do the 8 year program you can apply out to other med schools, don’t do the 7 year, I wasn’t part of the program but I did graduate from NSU and last year so many people tried to switch from the 7 year to 8 year that they let almost none of them do it. I only know of 2 people, both with 4.0 GPAs after 2 years that we’re allowed to switch from 7 to 8. It’s not a bad program because as long as you can get the 502 MCAT and gpa requirement you are in, but I definitely wouldn’t limit myself to only NSU for Med school

If you do the 8 year program you can apply out to other med schools, don’t do the 7 year, I wasn’t part of the program but I did graduate from NSU and last year so many people tried to switch from the 7 year to 8 year that they let almost none of them do it. I only know of 2 people, both with 4.0 GPAs after 2 years that we’re allowed to switch from 7 to 8. It’s not a bad program because as long as you can get the 502 MCAT and gpa requirement you are in, but I definitely wouldn’t limit myself to only NSU for Med school
Thank you so much my guy! I had a long discussion with my parents about doing the 8 year over the 7 year as well and we came to the conclusion that the 8 year would give me more time to prepare for my MCAT and such. I have accepted Nova Student Employment as of now. Do you think that it is possible to work during undergrad and still maintain the requirements to enter the medical school?

Sounds like you are really limiting your options
The competition to being a doctor is so much these days it just seems like this makes sense for me. I come from a whole family of doctors and many pushed me towards this path over the trad path.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much my guy! I had a long discussion with my parents about doing the 8 year over the 7 year as well and we came to the conclusion that the 8 year would give me more time to prepare for my MCAT and such. I have accepted Nova Student Employment as of now. Do you think that it is possible to work during undergrad and still maintain the requirements to enter the medical school?
Ya, most of the people that wanted to switch wanted more time for the mcat, and yes you could work, but I would not over do it, if you get a job on campus you usually still have a lot of free time. I worked outside of the school for the first half of my underaged there and then with a school job for the second half, it wasn't bad. If you work on campus they are always understand that you have classes/tests to study for, and you can still find time to shadow/volunteer/etc during the summers and some during the school year.

edit: Also, while it might be very different in the future, since you won't matriculate into the med school for at least 4 years, I don't really recommend you go to NSU's med school, defiantly apply out to other schools, but it is always nice to have it as a backup if you need it. And feel free to ask anymore questions about the school or area if you'd like.

Last edited:
Ya, most of the people that wanted to switch wanted more time for the mcat, and yes you could work, but I would not over do it, if you get a job on campus you usually still have a lot of free time. I worked outside of the school for the first half of my underaged there and then with a school job for the second half, it wasn't bad. If you work on campus they are always understand that you have classes/tests to study for, and you can still find time to shadow/volunteer/etc during the summers and some during the school year.

edit: Also, while it might be very different in the future, since you won't matriculate into the med school for at least 4 years, I don't really recommend you go to NSU's med school, defiantly apply out to other schools, but it is always nice to have it as a backup if you need it. And feel free to ask anymore questions about the school or area if you'd like.
Thanks bro. Having a medical school backup is a good enough reason for me to continue with this program especially with the fact that you can apply out anyway. I will definitely try to keep my work to a minimum so I can focus on my gpa and mcat full time.

Reactions: 1 user
Pass rates are 85%... very poor

I've heard a lot of internal problems with the school stemming from it's undergrad up to it's grad programs.

For more

Like I said... pick this path carefully

I actually just graduated from NSU and was part of this program. In all honesty, my decision to go to NSU had a lot to do with the very attractive full-tuition scholarship that they gave me, but I don't think this program is as bad as most people make it out to be. I admit that NSUKPCOM has a pretty bad reputation on SDN due to poor board scores and match lists, which I completely agree are red flags, but to be fair, the school is on the road to improvement as discussed in a different thread. Additionally, by being in the program, you are not locked into going NSUKPCOM. Many students choose to apply out including my friends and myself. The biggest advantage of this program is knowing that you pretty much have a guaranteed spot in a medical school, which relieves a tremendous amount of stress. Yes, you need to meet the requirements for admission through the dual program. However, I think that the GPA/MCAT requirements are fair or maybe even a bit generous considering the competitiveness of medical school admission these days. While I decided to apply out of the program, I am still very grateful to have been in it.

I actually just graduated from NSU and was part of this program. In all honesty, my decision to go to NSU had a lot to do with the very attractive full-tuition scholarship that they gave me, but I don't think this program is as bad as most people make it out to be. I admit that NSUKPCOM has a pretty bad reputation on SDN due to poor board scores and match lists, which I completely agree are red flags, but to be fair, the school is on the road to improvement as discussed in a different thread. Additionally, by being in the program, you are not locked into going NSUKPCOM. Many students choose to apply out including my friends and myself. The biggest advantage of this program is knowing that you pretty much have a guaranteed spot in a medical school, which relieves a tremendous amount of stress. Yes, you need to meet the requirements for admission through the dual program. However, I think that the GPA/MCAT requirements are fair or maybe even a bit generous considering the competitiveness of medical school admission these days. While I decided to apply out of the program, I am still very grateful to have been in it.
Thank you!!!

I need some advise from NOVA BD-DO students who either in that program or finished undergrad and doing DO. My D got admitted in fall 2023 with BS-DO and selected for 3+4 program at the moment. She is not sure what is pros and cons in future.
Questions:
Should we select Honors classes with undergrad?
If we continue with 3+4 years and do not plan to apply out, is there any limitation or issue for residency match or selecting majority of specialty? She is not keen on very highly competitive radiancy selections.
If she decides to apply out, what would be good time for MCAT? Is it ok to give MVAT in summertime after finishing second year or it should be December of second year?