NSU: OPP fellowship competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carl Weathers

I voted for Arnold
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is it to be selected for the OPP fellowship between second and third year? Does anyone know, roughly how many people apply vs how many get in? Is the application process a pain, or is it relatively simple? Any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a pulse, if so, you'll get it. This year they opened it up to current 3rd years to fill the spots.

to not waste this thread:

what are the benefits of doing the OPP fellowship (I mean professionally, not the tuition cut?) What type of person may consider this? Maybe JP can chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
It usually varies year to year but Doc is right, this year they didn't have many applicants. If you aren't an idiot you will get it. Most of the people are those sho wish to do OMM in practice, and a few PM&R guys. People who are really going to use the stuff is typically who apply for it. It really is not much benefit as far as the tuition cut. If you think that you have an extra year in practice you will make more than the tuition cost.

My 2 cents

On AVERAGE, i've been told there is generally 20-30 applicants for the 6 or 7 spots. This year, it was just like they said... record low applicants for the fellowship. However, in my 2010 class its going to be a different story. I was talking to one of the current fellows and they said there's more than 10 people from my class who are already gunning 1st year and regularly shadowing at the OPP clinic and a lot of others have interest in applying for it. He said from the looks of our class it is going to be fairly competetive when applying next year. It is purely class dependant since every class has a different personality.

thanks guys. I am definitely going to be competing for that research fellowship they just started. Only 4 spots, right? Will having a publication(or 2) under my belt from undergrad help?

Only if it's published in a loosley scientific journal like, say the JAOA. Make sure you have plenty of holes in your publication too.

thanks guys. I am definitely going to be competing for that research fellowship they just started. Only 4 spots, right? Will having a publication(or 2) under my belt from undergrad help?

Hi, I'm one of the current research fellows at Nova. There are only 2 spots available actually, and its becoming pretty popular. Its a great experience , especially for your residency application...I've presented at 3 national conferences so far, been published in 2 journals and am PI on a small funded project. All this will really set you apart from others when applying for competitive residnencies.

Though its counterintuitive, previous publications don't really help with getting accepted to this fellowship. Several applicants for the coming year were turned down even though they had an enourmous number of pubs/research experience mainly because they 1) didn't write good essays/their essay was irrelevant to what was being asked, and 2) didn't have some sort of research agreement set up with an NSU faculty whom they were planning on working with.

So, my advice is, write a really good, to the point, on-topic essay and make SURE that, before you apply, talk to someone you're interested in doing research with and have that agreement already established. The fellowship is not designed to give you research projects, its designed to give you a year to pursue a project that you want to set-up. PM if you have any questions!

IMO I think the OMM fellowship is for anyone who really likes doing osteopathic manipulation and wouldn't mind taking a year off to actually understand how to do it. Maybe a lot of the ppl who do this fellowship go into primary care BUT at KCUMB...a fellow who helped out during my first year matched surgery...so don't think it's just for ppl who want FP or IM.