OPP Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

builderstorch

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are y’all thoughts on doing a school’s OPP teaching fellowship in addition to field specific research to help match into a competitive specialty? I was not able to secure a research year in my specialty of choice and now I am scrambling with ideas.

The fellowship will give me the year to build my research CV in addition to other EC.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think it will hurt as long as you are okay with prolonging your training by a year and they allow for time for you to find and execute research.

And actually have productive research during that year. Too many people go in with that intent and come up with nothing. I would have something lined up before I accepted the fellowship. Something impactful

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And actually have productive research during that year. Too many people go in with that intent and come up with nothing. I would have something lined up before I accepted the fellowship. Something impactful
This is a solid piece of advice. I know someone who did the OPP fellowship at my school and didnt get any research done.

This is a solid piece of advice. I know someone who did the OPP fellowship at my school and didnt get any research done.
Ya I believe you go to the school I graduated from. That’s common there because there was no realistic research being done within a few hours. That may have changed though.

Ya I believe you go to the school I graduated from. That’s common there because there was no realistic research being done within a few hours. That may have changed though.
I do.

The only research around is remote style however you're lucky if you get that due to guidelines changing at larger universities starting to not allow outsiders to participate.

thank you for the input. I just talked with the research director at a nearby program that put me on a project right now and I mentioned the opportunity to take this year and work with them and they were okay with working with me.

thank you for the input. I just talked with the research director at a nearby program that put me on a project right now and I mentioned the opportunity to take this year and work with them and they were okay with working with me.
I think they're referring to do research where u get pubs/posters and abstracts.

I think they're referring to do research where u get pubs/posters and abstracts.
Yes if it’s not productive to get at least 1-2 papers, a few abstrActs, and a couple posters then it’s not worth an entire year

Reactions: 3 users
I think they're referring to do research where u get pubs/posters and abstrac
He was willing to let me have the first author on a project he started with a resident and was willing to work with me if I decided to take the year with my school. I'm still debating on taking the year but he seems proliferative. I would be okay if I could get two pubs before September.

He was willing to let me have the first author on a project he started with a resident and was willing to work with me if I decided to take the year with my school. I'm still debating on taking the year but he seems proliferative. I would be okay if I could get two pubs before September.
I'm not 100% familiar with medical research outside of, "it's really easy to get a pub". But would 2 papers not be enough for ur specialty? I would weight getting 2 papers and saving a year if it were enough.

What’s their timeline for submission of the paper? It’s only helpful if you have it submitted by the time you are applying to residency. If it’s clinical retrospective research then it probably will be. But if it’s bench or a prospective study that’s not wrapping up then think about the timeline for the project to be analyzed, written, and submitted in time for ERAS.

If you will get a first author for sure then you can very likely put together abstracts and posters as well making this endeavor worth it if you are wanting a competitive speciality. Is the research in your specialty of interest?

I agree with what has already been said. If you are going to take this time to do research, in addition to your OPP fellowship, you want it to be adding to your curriculum vitae / ERAS application. Any research you do can count as a "research experience" on ERAS; however, research that produces publications, oral presentations, poster presentations, and abstracts will be far more valuable from an application standpoint. Research such as case reports, case series, narrative / scoping reviews, potentially systematic reviews, and retrospective reviews will be the highest yield for your experience as a medical student, because the timeline will fit nicely into that 1-year fellowship and allow you to produce something tangible. Prospective studies, benchwork, and RCT typically will not finish in that time. It is great to have experience with both, but if you want something tangible for your application, go with the first list. Of note as well, I would emphasize submitting abstracts to recognizable conferences in your desired specialty and preferably those where the accepted abstracts are not only a poster presentation, but are published as a peer-reviewed abstract within the journal associated with the sponsoring organization of the conference. Creating an abstract for a case report for a conference does not take super long, as long as you have guidance on what things may get accepted to that conference. Best of luck!

What’s their timeline for submission of the paper? It’s only helpful if you have it submitted by the time you are applying to residency. If it’s clinical retrospective research then it probably will be. But if it’s bench or a prospective study that’s not wrapping up then think about the timeline for the project to be analyzed, written, and submitted in time for ERAS.

If you will get a first author for sure then you can very likely put together abstracts and posters as well making this endeavor worth it if you are wanting a competitive speciality. Is the research in your specialty of interest?
He wants to turn around in 2 months and offered me first author. Yeah, it is in my specialty of interest.