NSU students meet with interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be interviewing at NSU this next Monday (8/23)? I will be staying the night Sunday and was wondering if any other interviewees (or current NSUCOM students) where going to be in town and wanted to meet Sunday evening.

Members don't see this ad.

dradams said:
I am going to be interviewing at NSU this next Monday (8/23)? I will be staying the night Sunday and was wondering if any other interviewees (or current NSUCOM students) where going to be in town and wanted to meet Sunday evening.

Avoid this place if you can.

Are you joking or serious?

Members don't see this ad :)
...isn't that rude when someone decides to vent, and it confuses you more than if they had kept their useless comment to themselves?

I am an M1, we finish our second week tomorrow, and I am swimming in more information than I possibly know what to do with. (believe the hype)

Since I'm still new here, I can't really give an accurate critique on how good this school really is. All I know is that NSU was always my first choice, thousands of people have somehow made it through here, and SOMEHOW I will too. I don't regret deciding to go here, and I don't think anyone else in my class does (but heck, it's too early to really know).

Definitely come check us out. There's no place that I'd rather be. Good luck with your decision-making process.

-NS

NotShorty said:
...isn't that rude when someone decides to vent, and it confuses you more than if they had kept their useless comment to themselves?

I am an M1, we finish our second week tomorrow, and I am swimming in more information than I possibly know what to do with. (believe the hype)

Since I'm still new here, I can't really give an accurate critique on how good this school really is. All I know is that NSU was always my first choice, thousands of people have somehow made it through here, and SOMEHOW I will too. I don't regret deciding to go here, and I don't think anyone else in my class does (but heck, it's too early to really know).

Definitely come check us out. There's no place that I'd rather be. Good luck with your decision-making process.

-NS

dradams, I'm very serious. If you have any other options, I'd go elsewhere. If you don't hear about a bunch of b.s. that is going on when you come to visit, you're not getting accurate information about this school. But make up you're own mind. With all of NotShorty's experience at this school, I'd be sure to believe what he said: "Since I'm still new here, I can't really give an accurate critique on how good this school really is." How true that statement is.

Heeed, what is so bad?

dradams said:
Heeed, what is so bad?

The short answer is the relationship between the students and the administration is adversarial. That is an understatement. That animosity permeates everything that occurs here at the school.

Heeed! said:
The short answer is the relationship between the students and the administration is adversarial. That is an understatement. That animosity permeates everything that occurs here at the school.
a little bitter are we??? What exactly is the problem? the dress code? the attendance?? If that's the reason, you knew exactly what you were diving into. If it's other things, it's probably not important enough to warrant staying away from this place.

anyway, to dradams. My class, anyway, has tons of cool people and south florida is a great place to be, even though you have to study all the time. The facilities are great, and the education is great....so take Heeed's words with a grain of salt.

dradams said:
Heeed, what is so bad?
I am curious as to what you are referring to?? why do you hate it here? are you sure everyone has a problem or is it just you and your group of friends? or maybe it is just you. What else do you need besides a great location, great facilities, beautiful campus, good professors, miami dolphins, hot girls everywhere, and a great mix of culture?? Obviously you didn't see the Dolphins cheerleaders practicing the other day.

Obviously you didn't see the Dolphins cheerleaders practicing the other day.

No fair, all we have is a bunch of overrated overpaid basketball players (76ers). How do I know their overrated? Because the supposed best of the best, the Dream Team, got their asses handed to them by Puerto Rico, Italy, and narrowly beat Greece. C'mon Greece, didn't the original dream team beat them like 257-8 (8 due to those damn fouls).

wow, that is pretty sad raptor... :p

Heeed, please fill me in on what you are referring to. Give me a few specifics.

HoodyHoo said:
I am curious as to what you are referring to?? why do you hate it here? are you sure everyone has a problem or is it just you and your group of friends? or maybe it is just you. What else do you need besides a great location, great facilities, beautiful campus, good professors, miami dolphins, hot girls everywhere, and a great mix of culture?? Obviously you didn't see the Dolphins cheerleaders practicing the other day.

First of all, I've been going to this school MUCH LONGER than you. So should my opinion be taken with a grain of salt or should yours...you've been in school for almost 3 weeks now, right? Second, I admit my bias. But how many people have you, or anyone else, met who told you about the bad things associated with NSU? I would be willing to live in a terrible location, with terrible facilities, ugly campus, no dolphin cheerleaders, and ugly girls everywhere in exchange for a good medical education. HoodyHoo, wait longer than a month and interact with more than 5 instructors before you make sweeping generalities about the quality of instruction you're receiving. I'd rather pay $30,000 for a education and $1.69 for the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated.

The attendance policy makes no allowance for those who learn by other means than lectures. The following are 3 actual events for which being absent was unexcused: car accident, delivering a baby, and family member having an MI. Other current issues include instructors not showing up for their assigned lectures multiple times, instructors refusing to hand out lecture notes in defiance of administration policy, punitive exams (which you'll experience in your second semester HoodyHoo) which cause a majority of students to fail and requires the administration to step in and curve all the grades, etc.

Every school has b.s. to deal with but this school seems to severe GI disturbances. I thought everything was great during my third week of med school, too. Knowing what I know now, however, I would have done things differently. All I'm saying to the OP is ask questions and if you want to know what's actually going on, talk to those who have been around more than a month. Just get the info and make your own decision. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the specifics Heeed. That is exactly why I posted this thread; to see if I could meet up with some current students while I am in town to get some info that I would not otherwise get during my regular interview. I haven't gotten any takers yet.

Heeed! said:
First of all, I've been going to this school MUCH LONGER than you. So should my opinion be taken with a grain of salt or should yours...you've been in school for almost 3 weeks now, right? Second, I admit my bias. But how many people have you, or anyone else, met who told you about the bad things associated with NSU? I would be willing to live in a terrible location, with terrible facilities, ugly campus, no dolphin cheerleaders, and ugly girls everywhere in exchange for a good medical education. HoodyHoo, wait longer than a month and interact with more than 5 instructors before you make sweeping generalities about the quality of instruction you're receiving. I'd rather pay $30,000 for a education and $1.69 for the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated.

The attendance policy makes no allowance for those who learn by other means than lectures. The following are 3 actual events for which being absent was unexcused: car accident, delivering a baby, and family member having an MI. Other current issues include instructors not showing up for their assigned lectures multiple times, instructors refusing to hand out lecture notes in defiance of administration policy, punitive exams (which you'll experience in your second semester HoodyHoo) which cause a majority of students to fail and requires the administration to step in and curve all the grades, etc.

Every school has b.s. to deal with but this school seems to severe GI disturbances. I thought everything was great during my third week of med school, too. Knowing what I know now, however, I would have done things differently. All I'm saying to the OP is ask questions and if you want to know what's actually going on, talk to those who have been around more than a month. Just get the info and make your own decision. Good luck!

I am a GRADUATE of NSUCOM, so I think I have even more experience than YOU.

Every school has its problems. Feel free to do a search on any DO program here on SDN and you'll find threads about each school. C'est la vie.

My education at NSUCOM was great, I got into my #1 allopathic EM residency, I have always scored near the top in any of my in-service exams (against MDs from all over the US), and am a strong EM resident. NSUCOM helped me achieve that goal.

I have little criticism of NSUCOM, and would go there again in retrospect. If anyone has any questions, let me know.
Q

QuinnNSU said:
I am a GRADUATE of NSUCOM, so I think I have even more experience than YOU.

Every school has its problems. Feel free to do a search on any DO program here on SDN and you'll find threads about each school. C'est la vie.

My education at NSUCOM was great, I got into my #1 allopathic EM residency, I have always scored near the top in any of my in-service exams (against MDs from all over the US), and am a strong EM resident. NSUCOM helped me achieve that goal.

I have little criticism of NSUCOM, and would go there again in retrospect. If anyone has any questions, let me know.
Q

Quinn, I've read your posts and respect your opinion. Things here, however, have changed dramatically. I hope I can look back on my experience here the same way you do. Unfortunately, that appears to be a remote possibility at this point.

Heeed! said:
Quinn, I've read your posts and respect your opinion. Things here, however, have changed dramatically. I hope I can look back on my experience here the same way you do. Unfortunately, that appears to be a remote possibility at this point.

I've read that the administration is more stringent upon its attendance policies. Sure, we had lecturerers who didn't show up or didnt' give extra-handouts or whatever... those things are nuisances but not reason enough to tell people succinctly to "not come here."

I remember ~10% of my class absolutely hated the administration and thought they were dictators akin to Hitler. There were 10% who loved them. And a whole spectrum in-between.

I respect your opinion but the way you post your opinion needs a little fine tuning! :) Good luck in your education.
Q

QuinnNSU said:
I've read that the administration is more stringent upon its attendance policies. Sure, we had lecturerers who didn't show up or didnt' give extra-handouts or whatever... those things are nuisances but not reason enough to tell people succinctly to "not come here."

I remember ~10% of my class absolutely hated the administration and thought they were dictators akin to Hitler. There were 10% who loved them. And a whole spectrum in-between.

I respect your opinion but the way you post your opinion needs a little fine tuning! :) Good luck in your education.
Q

Quinn, I started off my medical education under the same attendance policy you did, which we both know was non-existent. Now we're swiping our ID cards on scanners and get a deduction in our final grade for non-comliance. And I'm not talking about "extra" handouts. The administration has told instructors that their argument of "the students won't attend if I give them my notes" is null and void. Yet, instructors fail to comply.

If I were speaking to "nuisances" I wouldn't have this opinion. The problems with this school are affecting our education. I can deal with b.s. I know every school has that. A recent instructor told me (and I am quoting), "The administration does not care about you whatsoever." When instructors willfully refuse to impart knowledge and provide information that would help me be a great physician such as yourself, I think that attitude is an absolute contraindication for anyone in education.

Thanks Quinn, it's nice to see the positive side of things as well.

QuinnNSU said:
I've read that the administration is more stringent upon its attendance policies.
Q

Quinn, if memory serves correctly, I've read your past posts and you indicated you weren't a big lecture attendee and used each day to study. Imagine not being able to start studying until 5pm after having to work all day. AND THEN, have the adminstration tell you (I'm quoting an instructor from yesterday), "Your class doesn't study enough." I think the instructor based that opinion on the fact that only 12 people failed a certain test the year prior but over 70 failed it this year. The administation's viewpoint is clearly illustrated in the instructor's comments: we don't study. Our standpoint is we need to be freed from lectures so we can study.

If it all works out in the end for me like it has for you, then it'll be water under the bridge. Meanwhile, I guess I'll be wasting 9 valuable hours qd sitting in lectures.

Heeed! said:
Quinn, if memory serves correctly, I've read your past posts and you indicated you weren't a big lecture attendee and used each day to study. Imagine not being able to start studying until 5pm after having to work all day. AND THEN, have the adminstration tell you (I'm quoting an instructor from yesterday), "Your class doesn't study enough." I think the instructor based that opinion on the fact that only 12 people failed a certain test the year prior but over 70 failed it this year. The administation's viewpoint is clearly illustrated in the instructor's comments: we don't study. Our standpoint is we need to be freed from lectures so we can study.

If it all works out in the end for me like it has for you, then it'll be water under the bridge. Meanwhile, I guess I'll be wasting 9 valuable hours qd sitting in lectures.
Why can't you study during lecture if you are so worried about it?? If you wouldn't go to lecture anyway and study, then what's the difference? I've seen plenty of people sitting in lecture doing or studying something completely off topic. Anyway, when you applied did they have the attendance policy?? in other words did you know what you were getting into before choosing NSUCOM??
Dr. Adams, I've met plenty of M2's that STILL love the school, just realize that there are people along all regions of the spectrum, as Quinn said.

HoodyHoo said:
Why can't you study during lecture if you are so worried about it?? If you wouldn't go to lecture anyway and study, then what's the difference? I've seen plenty of people sitting in lecture doing or studying something completely off topic. Anyway, when you applied did they have the attendance policy?? in other words did you know what you were getting into before choosing NSUCOM??
Dr. Adams, I've met plenty of M2's that STILL love the school, just realize that there are people along all regions of the spectrum, as Quinn said.

HoodyHoo, I refuse to get into a battle of the wits with an unarmed person. Your vast experience at this school simply disqualifies you from speaking to the issues I have raised.

DrAdams, how many bad things do you know about ANY school? All you hear are the positives. Look at the interview feedback. I'm not trying to disuade you from coming here. I reitereate my original statement: make your own decision because I have no idea what is important to you. Currently, however, this school is suffering from internal turmoil and my recommendation is if you have another option for med school, I would take it.

Heeed! said:
Currently, however, this school is suffering from internal turmoil and my recommendation is if you have another option for med school, I would take it.

My recommendation is NSUCOM is a fine school to get your post-graduate education in osteopathic medicine. While I was there, there were always the "sky is falling" thoughts of "internal turmoil" against the administration. You take your boards, you're out on rotations, you get the residency you want, and life is grand.

I suppose I could complain about how i have to read ~300 pages a month during residency (where I'm working between 60-80 hours a week), or how I'm the only resident working in the ED at night and I have to see WAY too many patients... but, things are good. I don't complain. Some residents feel the administration at their programs are not keepign resident education in their best interests. Others feel the administration could not be better.

"Internal Turmoil" is a powerful word. SDN is a powerful anonymous voice on the internet. Be careful of how your message comes across. Also, the "poorer" reputation NSUCOM "has" in the general population, the weaker your degree will seem.

As a DO in an MD EM residency, I get a LOT of students from DO schools (esp NSUCOM) who are interested in acquiring the same post graduate education that I am getting. I often inquire about the status of NSUCOM and how they are doing. Nary a one ever complains about internal turmoil... their biggest complaint is trying to do well on boards!

I'm sorry the administration may have left a sour taste in your or your colleague's mouth as they were not excused for missing classes due to unfortunate occurrences.... But do you remember hwen you were a pre-med and swore up and down that you would do WHATEVER it took to get into medical school, that you would study 8 hours a night, go to every class, and sacrifice a LOT in life just to be a doctor? Now that you're in medical school, it seems a lot, well, ALL, those people backed out of that internal contract.

Heeed! said:
HoodyHoo, I refuse to get into a battle of the wits with an unarmed person. Your vast experience at this school simply disqualifies you from speaking to the issues I have raised.

DrAdams, how many bad things do you know about ANY school? All you hear are the positives. Look at the interview feedback. I'm not trying to disuade you from coming here. I reitereate my original statement: make your own decision because I have no idea what is important to you. Currently, however, this school is suffering from internal turmoil and my recommendation is if you have another option for med school, I would take it.
how do you interpret simple questions I ask you as trying to get into a "battle of wits"?? Obviously I don't have as much experience as you......but I have spoken with a few of your classmates that have very positive things to say....and they have just as much experience as you. I have every right to talk about issues such as attendance policy which I am currently experiencing so who are you to say I am "disqualified" from speaking about these issues.

so settle down, I'm not trying to "battle" you or whatever, I'm trying to speak out from the positive perspective and attract people to our school.

QuinnNSU said:
"Internal Turmoil" is a powerful word.

That's actually 2 words...but I digress. :laugh: I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who has the pulse of NSUCOM that wouldn't agree there is, in fact, internal turmoil between the faculty, the administration, and the students. DocShar, DocInSpace, BGib, Lieutenant (you know who you are!), feel free to chime in and correct me. I may be way off base, but I don't think so. That internal trauma is causing our education to suffer. And Quinn, I don't want to just study 8 hours qd, I want to study 16-19. I want to learn medicine and wish the administration would just get out of my way and turn me loose.

To all: In order to understand what I'm talking about you need to determine what is most important to you in getting your medical education.....and then take that away. If you learn from lectures, now you show up to the first class, get a book list and a finals schedule. No teachers, no handouts, nothing. Teach yourself medicine. For those who are visual learners, now you're blind. For those who like to sleep in late, now your classes are from 2am-11am. Imagine being in a padded room with a snuggly-fitting white jacket for 9 hours a day when you have got things to do. Whatever is essential to your education, mentally take it away and then evaluate how much medical prowess you'll end up with prior to Step I. And what would you do if that bastion of higher learning was responsible for taking away that which you need? Would you quietly accept the board score awaiting those who get a sub-standard education? (Don't just remember this, commit it to memory: You can only take Step I once, as long as you pass. Your medical career might be taking a jink previously unanticipated if you don't bring your A game.) Would you scream "foul" and try to change things? All I want is the freedom to study without penalty. You'd never hear a disparaging word fall from my lips if I walked into lecture and found Dr. "EDV is the volume at the end of diastole"'s bound lecture notes just waiting for me to tear through with my brand new highlighters, and then being told to show up in 2 weeks for the exam. I'd cheerfully study all day, get my same mediocre grades, and feel like I was getting a great education because I would have that which is most important to me personally: study time. And then the administration wouldn't have a leg to stand on when they tell us, "Your class doesn't study enough."

But don't worry...I'm not going to let the dean's policies stand in the way of my medical education. I'm going to suck it up and do my best despite the obstacles placed in my way by those who are supposedly "teaching" me. However, the administration firmly believes I can learn medicine by attending lectures 8 hours qd and I don't need to put in any time outside of class. If they want me to study outside of class, how about a handout from which to study? or a reading assignment? Here's an idea: how about giving me the lecture notes PRIOR to class so I can read, ponder, and formulate thoughtful questions instead of *****ic ones? If you as a teacher want me to study more, give me the time to do so. As a diligent student, I want to put in 2 hours of study for each hour of lecture. Let me do the math: 8 hrs lecture X 2 study hrs/lecture = 16 hrs study time. 8 + 16 = 24 hours/day. Hmmm....That seems impossible. Let's rearrange the numbers a bit: 5 hrs lecture X 2 study hrs/day = 10 hrs study time. 5 + 10 = 15 hrs/day. I can do that.

To conclude this diatribe, everyone has different reasons for coming to NSU. I had mine and although that one reason is currently in jeapardy, that hasn't factored into the issues about which I've spoken. So, for the 1.4 millionth time, and to all the newcomers, get the fair and balanced info and make your own decision based on the factor's most important to you. :thumbup:

Heeed! said:
As a diligent student, I want to put in 2 hours of study for each hour of lecture. Let me do the math: 8 hrs lecture X 2 study hrs/lecture = 16 hrs study time. 8 + 16 = 24 hours/day. Hmmm....That seems impossible. Let's rearrange the numbers a bit: 5 hrs lecture X 2 study hrs/day = 10 hrs study time. 5 + 10 = 15 hrs/day. I can do that.

no wonder you don't care about your location and surrounding scenery. being as sincere as possible, do you have a life outside of school??

HoodyHoo said:
no wonder you don't care about your location and surrounding scenery. being as sincere as possible, do you have a life outside of school??

I do care about those things, too, but not at the expense of my education. Yes, I do have a life. My wife and 3 kids are my life. Me and the bros tee it up occasionally, too. But I'm willing to put in the time to learn. All I want is time. Here's the LT's most recent suggestion: Fridays off. :idea: :idea: That would give me time to make up for the educational gap I'm experiencing. Even the MILITARY MEDICAL SCHOOL doesn't have an attendance policy.
As of today, there are only 290 days left before Step I. I've got a lot of learning and reviewing to do in between now and then. Since I have to balance a lot in my life, my time is extremely limited...and expensive. But what happens when one of my instructors doesn't show up for his lectures 2 weeks in a row? #1) I'm punished because I was ready to hear the lecture and had that time wasted instead. #2) The powers that be have told us we'll just have to make up those missed lectures on Friday afternoons since there's nowhere else in the schedule to put them. That's punishing me again because now the time that's normally mine to study, is being taken away. The dean has pontificated ad nauseum that everyone, including him, has an attendance policy. And when we fail to attend those things which we ought, there is a punishment. So in the administration's most recent bumbling which I've just explained, who is actually being punished? ME. And what punishment is the instructor going to receive? According to the dean, there should be a consequence but we all know there isn't one. I guess when I'm a doctor I can shirk my responsibilities with impunity and adopt the "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude, too. I remember hearing someone say once, "We do our duty, son, or people die. It's that simple." and something about not being able to handle the truth (Did I get the quote right?) Don't people actually die if I don't know things??? Am I not supposed to be taking my responsibilities as a student seriously...as seriously as life and death? Isn't that what we're dealing with here? Should not the administration allow me to accept the responsibility of preparing myself to be a physician and then allow me the opportunity to use all my energy to fulfill those duties? Since I'm the sponge trying to soak up every golden nugget offered me (and I assure you there's no lack of effort on my part as is evidenced by HoodyHoo's question) wouldn't an instructor be remiss if he didn't hand out any nuggets, and even be accountable if I didn't know anything about.......hmmmm.....let's see...oh, I don't know....hematology? I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but my study-time-to-grade ratio puts me where LT? As we so often joke, my study-time-to-grade-ratio puts me up there with the gunners.

Heeed! said:
I do care about those things, too, but not at the expense of my education. Yes, I do have a life. My wife and 3 kids are my life. Me and the bros tee it up occasionally, too. But I'm willing to put in the time to learn. All I want is time. Here's the LT's most recent suggestion: Fridays off. :idea: :idea: That would give me time to make up for the educational gap I'm experiencing. Even the MILITARY MEDICAL SCHOOL doesn't have an attendance policy.
As of today, there are only 290 days left before Step I. I've got a lot of learning and reviewing to do in between now and then. Since I have to balance a lot in my life, my time is extremely limited...and expensive. But what happens when one of my instructors doesn't show up for his lectures 2 weeks in a row? #1) I'm punished because I was ready to hear the lecture and had that time wasted instead. #2) The powers that be have told us we'll just have to make up those missed lectures on Friday afternoons since there's nowhere else in the schedule to put them. That's punishing me again because now the time that's normally mine to study, is being taken away. The dean has pontificated ad nauseum that everyone, including him, has an attendance policy. And when we fail to attend those things which we ought, there is a punishment. So in the administration's most recent bumbling which I've just explained, who is actually being punished? ME. And what punishment is the instructor going to receive? According to the dean, there should be a consequence but we all know there isn't one. I guess when I'm a doctor I can shirk my responsibilities with impunity and adopt the "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude, too. I remember hearing someone say once, "We do our duty, son, or people die. It's that simple." and something about not being able to handle the truth (Did I get the quote right?) Don't people actually die if I don't know things??? Am I not supposed to be taking my responsibilities as a student seriously...as seriously as life and death? Isn't that what we're dealing with here? Should not the administration allow me to accept the responsibility of preparing myself to be a physician and then allow me the opportunity to use all my energy to fulfill those duties? Since I'm the sponge trying to soak up every golden nugget offered me (and I assure you there's no lack of effort on my part as is evidenced by HoodyHoo's question) wouldn't an instructor be remiss if he didn't hand out any nuggets, and even be accountable if I didn't know anything about.......hmmmm.....let's see...oh, I don't know....hematology? I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but my study-time-to-grade ratio puts me where LT? As we so often joke, my study-time-to-grade-ratio puts me up there with the gunners.

Do you know if Dana or or student government in general is working to change these things?? I've just heard from a lot of people that administration will not bend with the attendance or cutting down the lecture time unless THEY want to, perhaps creating an image of not caring about us, the students.

anyway, i do agree with a lot of what you are saying...i guess my main point was that you knew about the policy before you came here. Granted, it is crazy and there are many medical schools out there that get out at roughly noon-1pm and have all day and night to study. I also wish we had a similar scenario.

HoodyHoo said:
Do you know if Dana or or student government in general is working to change these things?? I've just heard from a lot of people that administration will not bend with the attendance or cutting down the lecture time unless THEY want to, perhaps creating an image of not caring about us, the students.

anyway, i do agree with a lot of what you are saying...i guess my main point was that you knew about the policy before you came here. Granted, it is crazy and there are many medical schools out there that get out at roughly noon-1pm and have all day and night to study. I also wish we had a similar scenario.

HoodyHoo, the attendance policy changed mid-year last year. So when I was making my decision about which school to attend, the attendance policy was the same as Quinn's = there's an attendance policy but it's not enforced. There might be 1-2 sign in sheets passed around during the semester but that was it. Now, the policy is swiping the ID cards with punishments for non-compliance. Those are 2 vastly different attendance systems. My class has seen it both ways. We know what we're missing by having to swipe in. You knew the attendance policy included swiping in and you still chose to go to NSU. But they changed the contract on us in the middle of the year... :smuggrin: Now the administration compares us and our test scores to those that have gone before us. And of course they're going to be lower. The other classes didn't have an enforced attendance policy. Those that wanted to skip did so without retribution. We have less study time now than any other class that has gone before us. I have a hypothesis. I'll bet your class's test scores will end up lower than ours because we were under the "old" policy when we started. It's unfortunate but maybe test scores just need to keep going down the toilet bowl so the administration will finally concede the lectures are :thumbdown: . The M3's COMLEX scores have been reported as being slightly below the national average this year. Is that troubling to anyone? It is to me. The premise of all of this, however, is the administration cares about my doing well on the boards. When your own instructors tell you the administration doesn't care about you whatsoever, is it any wonder they're apathetic when it comes to implementing much needed changes? Maybe one of the reasons things are this way is because they know all I have to do is barely pass my boards and have a pulse to go into family practice. Nothing against FP or those that want to go into it. I want everyone to match to their dream career field. But I don't want to do FP and is it too much to ask of the administration to give me the tools to be a competitive applicant for residency?

And to finally answer your question, YES we tell the administration this stuff all the time. They say they care, but don't do anything noticeable for us. We have a dean's hour tomorrow so I'm sure that handle-bar stached, hog-ridin' dean of ours will give me some more to talk about.

Heeed! said:
HoodyHoo, the attendance policy changed mid-year last year. So when I was making my decision about which school to attend, the attendance policy was the same as Quinn's = there's an attendance policy but it's not enforced. There might be 1-2 sign in sheets passed around during the semester but that was it. Now, the policy is swiping the ID cards with punishments for non-compliance. Those are 2 vastly different attendance systems. My class has seen it both ways. We know what we're missing by having to swipe in. You knew the attendance policy included swiping in and you still chose to go to NSU. But they changed the contract on us in the middle of the year... :smuggrin: Now the administration compares us and our test scores to those that have gone before us. And of course they're going to be lower. The other classes didn't have an enforced attendance policy. Those that wanted to skip did so without retribution. We have less study time now than any other class that has gone before us. I have a hypothesis. I'll bet your class's test scores will end up lower than ours because we were under the "old" policy when we started. It's unfortunate but maybe test scores just need to keep going down the toilet bowl so the administration will finally concede the lectures are :thumbdown: . The M3's COMLEX scores have been reported as being slightly below the national average this year. Is that troubling to anyone? It is to me. The premise of all of this, however, is the administration cares about my doing well on the boards. When your own instructors tell you the administration doesn't care about you whatsoever, is it any wonder they're apathetic when it comes to implementing much needed changes? Maybe one of the reasons things are this way is because they know all I have to do is barely pass my boards and have a pulse to go into family practice. Nothing against FP or those that want to go into it. I want everyone to match to their dream career field. But I don't want to do FP and is it too much to ask of the administration to give me the tools to be a competitive applicant for residency?

And to finally answer your question, YES we tell the administration this stuff all the time. They say they care, but don't do anything noticeable for us. We have a dean's hour tomorrow so I'm sure that handle-bar stached, hog-ridin' dean of ours will give me some more to talk about.

that sucks, I didn't realize your class entered under different circumstances than we did. so this swiping of our ID cards is fairly new eh?? they made it seem like it has been the norm for the past few years. I am starting to realize how much it sucks to get home at 4-5pm and start studying after a very tiring day. If we could study during the daytime, surely students would do better and maybe be a little less stressed out. well, maybe if our class does poorly they will at least consider it more for next semester.

Ok, I haven't been on this thread all weekend. Now I'm interested...

Obviously I don't have a real perspective of how hectic classes are going to get, but I'll try to ask somewhat intelligent questions.

1. How impossible is it to study during lectures and/or can we duck out to study in the library? Right now it's tough to get any work done in the gallery (stadium seating in the back of the lecture hall to y'all pre-meds) because everyone is just going back there to goof off and talk. I'd imagine that with a set of ear plugs, you could just sit in one of the seats that's got a light directly overhead and get some stuff done.

2. We have Kaplan board review classes figured in to tuition...do these help to offset the shortcomings discussed in this thread or...?

I'm not trying to come off as a wiseguy. I'm just an M1 with my best interests in mind. From my limited perspective, it seems like anyone with the desire to flood all five (six?:)) senses with medicine are able to, and for the rest of us, maybe picking up some board review books and focusing on the stuff we may actually retain is a better idea.

-NS

I studied my biochem in my clincial practicum today.....I just kind of tune everything out. I kinda thought it was funny to learn 60 genetical diseases in 20 minutes and take an hour to learn how to do a BP. (BP time = extra study time for me!)

I have no qualms about clocking in and going to the back or library...I seem to only remember that only OPP they were really really anal about missing classes.

Besides you can miss 20% and not have a damn thing happen to you and up to 30% if you can take the 1% point hit. Sucks that it is that way but I knew that when I signed on. I feel bad for those that signed on under different thought circles.

I'll tell ya this from personal experience. Your 1st and 2nd year grades won't correlate well with your COMLEX scores. I know people in my class who were top GPAs who scored poorly on the COMLEX, and those that did not so well in class did great on the COMLEX (I was top 18%ile, scored top 1%ile, had a friend top 5 in class, bottom 20%ile on COMLEX).

Your clinical grades won't matter much during your application to residency. Basically, its board scores, LORs, and audition rotations.

You only have ~280 more days to go before comlex and the beginning of third year. The pain is almost over.

Biochemistry sucks, I'd rather check BPs.
Q

Quinn, why do the grades and board scores not correlate? Do they not teach you what you need to know for the boards?

dradams said:
Quinn, why do the grades and board scores not correlate? Do they not teach you what you need to know for the boards?

I'm sure there are papers showing they do correlate and they don't. but we all know of people who are #1 in their class but are horrible clinicians, and people who are low in their class rank but make better doctors. I think the same goes for boards and grades.

I don't think the school will have much to do with your board scores. I truly feel it is about the same no matter where you go. REemember that NSUCOM has like ~200 students. Their cut-off on accepting their students will be a tad less since they'll accept so many... so I think that tends to bring down some board scores. Fear not, in the end, it doesn't matter. I have lots of friends in my class who matched into strong MD programs (myself included).

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Your clinical grades won't matter much during your application to residency. Basically, its board scores, LORs, and audition rotations.

Q

How about the first two years? If that's what you mean by clinical grades, forgive my ignorance but I'm just applying. I hear it's just board scores, LORs and rotations, and not so much GPA since some schools use pass/fail, some use grades, and some use percentages in the classroom.

Thanks for all the information from both sides.

OnMyWayThere said:
How about the first two years? If that's what you mean by clinical grades, forgive my ignorance but I'm just applying. I hear it's just board scores, LORs and rotations, and not so much GPA since some schools use pass/fail, some use grades, and some use percentages in the classroom.

Thanks for all the information from both sides.

Oops! Sorry, I was post-call. I meant first two year grades. When we were filling out our rank list for the new interns last year, it wasn't even mentioned. Board scores were, however.
Q

I don't see how a residency program director would compare transcripts though with the different grading systems.
I know COMP uses your percentage in the class on transcripts
TOURO uses A, B, C, D grading
And I am sure some other schools use Pass / Fail

Strange but I guess they know their jobs ... :rolleyes:

Pardon me for butting into your discourse but I need to voice an opinion. I am a MSIII at NSUCOM and it sounds as if you and more than a few people are upset at the way things are at the college. It seems like you have a lot of misguided energy and have taken a lot of time in preparing your thesis on what can be improved at the school - more time (I must admit) than I have the time for!

I strongly urge you to take all of this energy and put it somewhere where it counts. DO YOU ALL FORGET THAT YOU ARE THE CONSUMERS HERE? If you are angy I implore you to write a class letter to the administratio AND BOARD OF TRUSTEES with you problems, seek help either anonymously or not through the SGA or write a letter to the "Big Dean" himself. You seem to also forget the power of "numbers," if your class is having such a problem and enough of you as a whole are dissatified, then you need to use your ELECTED representatives of SGA to fight for your class (if it is indeed the majority that are genuinely dissatisfied).

It just seems that there is a lot of anger and hostility being dispersed and it could be applied and directed to a much better and fruitful way than on SDN alone...

Remember, you pay for the administrations' livlihood and future. They truly want to see you content, satisfied and sucessful so it is your own fault if you as a class do not let them know.

OnMyWayThere said:
I don't see how a residency program director would compare transcripts though with the different grading systems.
I know COMP uses your percentage in the class on transcripts
TOURO uses A, B, C, D grading
And I am sure some other schools use Pass / Fail

Strange but I guess they know their jobs ... :rolleyes:

Your'e right. I would read the applications and every school had a transcript that was basically impossible to read. I COULD read "class rank" but not a lot of schools had that. Basically unless you were like top 10% of class or AOA, or the other end of the spectrum, your grades didn't matter.
Q

Careofme said:
write a letter to the "Big Dean" himself. You seem to also forget the power of "numbers," if your class is having such a problem and enough of you as a whole are dissatified, then you need to use your ELECTED representatives of SGA to fight for your class (if it is indeed the majority that are genuinely dissatisfied).

Remember, you pay for the administrations' livlihood and future. They truly want to see you content, satisfied and sucessful so it is your own fault if you as a class do not let them know.

The Big Dean himself is the biggest problem. He absolutely DOES NOT CARE. You should have heard the audible moan out of 200 M2s yesterday at Dean's hour when he tried to quash the rumor the M3s did poorly on their boards. "They only scored 2% below the national average which is very good." Since I don't know what the national average is I can't comment intelligently. If it was 93% that's one thing. If it was 69% that's another. Nobody wants to score below the mean and then to hear your "fearless leader" wants us to strive for mediocrity.... :eek:

We have repeatedly brought these issues up through every means imaginable. We have yet to go to the board of directors, at least to my knowledge. The premise of my whole rant is the administration cares. That's the premise of your comment, Careofme, that "they truly want to see you content." Each day even more of us come to the conclusion that they don't. Even some instructors have told me straight up, "The administration does not care one bit about your class." I made logical, valid points to the dean yesterday and he summarily dismissed them all. I had SO MANY people come up to me afterward and say they agreed with me. But it really doesn't matter because my arguments are based on the fallacious premise that he cares. Any thoughtful reader will concede if the administration doesn't care, it's going to be nearly impossible to effect change. We all know the dean isn't going to get fired or have his wages garnished or anything like it. It's just so frustrating to want to learn medicine so badly but have my school stand in the way. So ironic and yet so true.

So, for those of you considering NSU, make sure you do your homework. I'm not saying don't come here. If you don't have someone on your tours giving you the flip side of the fantastic facilities, the great location, etc etc...you are not getting the truth. Even the people that love it here will have to concede there are problems. Everyone knows there are problems. And if they don't tell you about them when you ask, take that into consideration. Choose wisely...... :thumbup:

Heeed! said:
It's just so frustrating to want to learn medicine so badly but have my school stand in the way. So ironic and yet so true.

I can't comment on your whole post (since i am not at NSUCOM anymore) except for this sentence.

While I was at NSUCOM, there were issues with the administration. 4 years later, all of those students that were upset about the administration are now in their second year of residency, doing just fine. Some at DO programs, some at MD programs. All pursuing their life dream.

I interviewed on Monday and it went very well. The students whom we got to meet and hang out with gave us a lot of great honest info; both positive and negative. I thought it was nice that the tour was set up to allow us to get the "real" scoop from the students without anyone else around. The school is definitely honest and straight-forward it seems with the interviewees.

dradams,

did you stay at the Best Western Rolling Hills hotel and Resort.
Is that right next to the school and walking distance?

Also anyone know about airport shuttle from FLL to Best Western.
Thanks
BA
PS. I interview on the 10th of sept... I will take all of your opinions into considerations.

Not to beat at dead horse, but there was no audible moan. Heeed is miserable here and that's fine, but there are a lot of happy people here.
Medical school is hard. The Class of 2007 whines a lot about that.
There are definitely exceptions to the attendance policy here, there is no penalty for the first 20% of classes you miss, and a modest one after that. Further, a great number of the class scans their ID card and leaves to sleep or study. But no one is going to individualize a medical school curriculum for you independent learners, and no one is going to say that you can get a perfectly fine medical education by paying $1.25 in late fees at the local library.
Are we in class too much, yes. Are about half the lecturers mediocre, yes. But the other half are above average to stellar, a break down I assume you'd get about anywhere from my experience.
No one said it would be easy, but it's doable. And my money says the attendance policy will ease up, either that or the class hours will lessen, when they see our class has struggled. It's tough because they're beta testing on us, and it could be going better. But the reality is that any time that happens, people will get miserable. The other reality is that this school is one of the most considerate in terms of student change, especially the dean. The school may be more reactive than proactive, but they do act, and they do listen when something needs to be done.
For the record, the administration has only recently started enforcing ANYTHING, and it's too long in coming at that.
Heeed does not speak for his entire class. Only a small corner of the classroom.
At any school, good or bad, you'll get bad profs, poor students, bad classes, the grass is always greener. If Heeed hated it here so much he'd suck it up and leave, but he isn't, and that's a reality. If you're a miserable person you'll be miserable anywhere, so go with your gut and choose the school you think will fit you the best, with or without attendance policies, dress codes, etc. Every now and then down here, you get to the beach, hang out in the sun, don't have to trudge thru snow to get to class. It's a bonus. But it's not right for everybody.
It is right for many. The students all help each other out, there's good comeraderie amongst the class, Heed designs T-shirts to rip on admin, and we all buy them and wear them proudly: ) That's the best part of this place, the students work together, there are very few gunners, those that are are ostracized.
So visit, decide, and do your best.
Good luck.

I did stay at the Best Western and there is a shuttle to the school.

DoctorHandsome said:
Not to beat at dead horse, but there was no audible moan.

Maybe you need your hearing checked. I thought it was much more than just a moan. But whatever. If you didn't moan after hearing the same thing I heard, you must not care about scoring below the national mean on step 1.

My concern is geared toward our sga representatives. Are they really pushing these issues up to the administration and finding a way to actually fix the problems heed raises? or do they just raise the issue, have it shot down, and are content with things? Dochandsome, you even admit there are probs. Since heed isn't the only one who feels we need more study time, don't you think our sga reps should make that an important issue and find a way to change things? The issues he raised were logical and the Dean seemed surprised to hear them, and was surpised at the delivery techniques, too. :smuggrin: :laugh:

DoctorHandsome said:
Are we in class too much, yes. Are about half the lecturers mediocre, yes. But the other half are above average to stellar, a break down I assume you'd get about anywhere from my experience.
No one said it would be easy, but it's doable. And my money says the attendance policy will ease up, either that or the class hours will lessen, when they see our class has struggled. It's tough because they're beta testing on us, and it could be going better. But the reality is that any time that happens, people will get miserable. The other reality is that this school is one of the most considerate in terms of student change, especially the dean. The school may be more reactive than proactive, but they do act, and they do listen when something needs to be done.
For the record, the administration has only recently started enforcing ANYTHING, and it's too long in coming at that.
Heeed does not speak for his entire class. Only a small corner of the classroom.
At any school, good or bad, you'll get bad profs, poor students, bad classes, the grass is always greener. If Heeed hated it here so much he'd suck it up and leave, but he isn't, and that's a reality. If you're a miserable person you'll be miserable anywhere, so go with your gut and choose the school you think will fit you the best, with or without attendance policies, dress codes, etc. Every now and then down here, you get to the beach, hang out in the sun, don't have to trudge thru snow to get to class. It's a bonus. But it's not right for everybody.
It is right for many. The students all help each other out, there's good comeraderie amongst the class, Heed designs T-shirts to rip on admin, and we all buy them and wear them proudly: ) That's the best part of this place, the students work together, there are very few gunners, those that are are ostracized.
So visit, decide, and do your best.
Good luck.

DocHandsome, you misrepresent my position and raise issues about which I'm not even talking. Nevertheless, I find it humorous you think my position doesn't represent the majority of the class. I have an idea. :idea: How about you stand up during a break and ask the class, "How many people feel they need more study time?" and then we'll see who is in the minority? Maybe people come up to you on a daily basis and say how much they appreciate you sticking up for the position that we actually don't need more study time. But I doubt it. But since people from all sides of the classroom, even those down in front, have come up to me and said they agree with what I'm saying, I can tell you my feeling doesn't just represent "a small corner of the classroom."
Additionally, you say I should just "suck it up and leave." Is that what you would do in my position? Would your solution to the problem be to just run away? It might be since I don't hear you standing up for what's right. You admit there's a problem but then you say it's ok if the problems persist because every now and again you get to hang out at the beach and don't have to trudge through snow to get to school. That's called a non sequitur argument. It doesn't follow. I've got and idea. :idea: How about instead of sucking it up, transferring, and running away from the problem, I dig in my heals and work to make the problem go away for our class and those that follow? I've got another idea. :idea: How about you get on board with the majority of the class and have your voice heard by the administration? You can even stand behind me...I'll take the heat. But please, STAND UP and be counted. You may not agree with my delivery, but I know how to get things done. I know how to accomplish the mission.
As I told the Dean yesterday in my hour and a half meeting with him, we want NSU to set the standard when it comes to board scores and not be below the average. I want this school to have a great reputation. I wouldn't have come here if I felt otherwise. And now that we have a great opportunity to get some changes implemented, PLEASE DocHandsome, be counted with the rest of the class and start brainstorming creative ways to get us out of school before 5pm each day. How about you demonstrate some of that quality you said is so good about our class, which is "the students work together?" Because even if the administration was listening before, they're really listening now... :thumbup:

Heeed! said:

Wow. If that is all true...
Personally, I am glad I didn't aply here because I'm not sure which learning style-attending classes or not attending classes -is going to be best for me. Many schools are flexible on this issue because they realize that people learn differently, and I'm surprised that NSU isn't.

Is there really a dress code, too, or was that just a joke?

QuinnNSU said:
Your 1st and 2nd year grades won't correlate well with your COMLEX scores.
Q
Talk about a powerful anonymous voice. How can you unilaterally say that (after chastising someone else for not being careful about the way they post their opinions) knowing that you might be providing a lot of people with false hope-when what they really need to be doing is studying harder and improving their grades? Also, you didn't state this as your opinion like Heeed clearly stated his, you stated it as a fact.
It surely confused me, and didn't reassure me in any way. It just makes me more scared because if I believe it, I'll have no way of knowing my grades are an indication of how prepared I am for the COMLEX.