NSU students meet with interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HOW DARE YOU CHASTISE THE ALMIGHTY QUINN!!

J/k :laugh:

Remember how you took tons of practice tests when studying for the MCAT, they didn't reeeally tell you (without any error) how well prepared you were?

And if the numbers DID indicate that you were prepared, did you slack off on your study habits? No, I doubt it.

In the next two years before you actually take Step 1, you will likely have forgotten almost everything you learned before each of your exams, so how COULD your grades be a direct correlation of Board performance?

It'll be ok.

-NS

Members don't see this ad.

This post is very comical!! I am a 4th year student at Nova and will give you my perspective. Every year each class has a select few that love to complain about every aspect of our curriculum, administration, and the institution in general. My class had them, the thrid year class had them, and it is quite obvious that they are in full force in the second year class. The administration is not out to get you, they are not trying to put you into residency unprepared. Trust me, the almighty Quinn, and everyone else including the first years who you discredit, you will be fine. A physician is not made during two years of medical school. You guys have a long way to go as do I. Don't discredit any class ahead of you because we had twice the hours of lecture that you currently have. They cut the lecture hours almost in half after my year for the current third years. And I am sure they cut them even more for your class. We had attendance taken everyday etc.etc. You are not the experimental rats of a new attendance policy. So that being said, as a fourth year I can assure anyone applying, and all the first and second years, including the complainers, that NSU will prepare you for you clinical rotations during third year and elective rotations during fourth year. According to Quinn, you will be prepared for residency. I just finished some rotations at some very prestigous MD programs and trust me, compared to thier students we shine. As far as boards, you are going to be given about 8 weeks ( unless you screw around on spring break) to study for boards. You have more time to study for boards that any other Osteopathic school. You can thank the administration for this. Eight weeks is PLENTY of time to do extremely well if you work hard. Quinn is absolutely correct in stating that grades do not predict how well you will do. By the time April comes around you will not remeber much about Heme/Onc, Respiratory etc. You will be scratching your head trying to figure out what a MCV is. You will be relearning 90% of the material. It is up to you to do well on the boards not the administration. They will have presented everything during your first and second year that will be on boards. Come April, it will be up to you to study. If you study hard you will do very well, if your lazy, well that is your own fault. COMLEX scores equate to how hard you worked during the two months before boards, period. Heed, quit qorrying about boards right now. Concentrate on your grades.
Trust the faculty and administration they know what they are doing. They have much more experience than you. Don't be the monday morning quarterback. When I was accepted to NSU I received a letter stating their attendance policy and dress code. I signed the document, as did you I am sure, stating that I understood the rules of attendance. What part of attendance is MANDATORY did you not understand?? To me it means attendance is mandatory. Every year a select few act as if they have never heard of this policy before. So to wrap this up, NSU is doing an excellent job training future physicians. I am completely happy that NSU gave me the opportunity to become a physician and would definately recommend this school to anyone interested. You guys will realize that by the time you get to third year all this energy you put into the anti-establishment movement was a waste of time. Not for the fact that you think they don't understand your needs, but rather, in the end the administration knows what they are doing. You'll see.....

bailey-b said:
You have more time to study for boards that any other Osteopathic school....... What part of attendance is MANDATORY did you not understand??

You can flame me all you want but please don't state your opinions as facts. I did a cursory search on the internet and found 2 DO schools that end prior to what's currently being discussed by NSU. And if you had read my posts you'd realize I'm NOT talking about the attendance policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heeed! said:
The attendance policy makes no allowance for those who learn by other means than lectures.....Imagine not being able to start studying until 5pm after having to work all day. AND THEN, have the adminstration tell you (I'm quoting an instructor from yesterday), "Your class doesn't study enough." I think the instructor based that opinion on the fact that only 12 people failed a certain test the year prior but over 70 failed it this year. The administation's viewpoint is clearly illustrated in the instructor's comments: we don't study. Our standpoint is we need to be freed from lectures so we can study.

You said it.
I am glad to see that other schools are giving their students more time to study for boards. When I took mine last year NSU had allotted the most amount of time for board prep.

NotShorty said:
HOW DARE YOU CHASTISE THE ALMIGHTY QUINN!!

J/k :laugh:

Remember how you took tons of practice tests when studying for the MCAT, they didn't reeeally tell you (without any error) how well prepared you were?

And if the numbers DID indicate that you were prepared, did you slack off on your study habits? No, I doubt it.

In the next two years before you actually take Step 1, you will likely have forgotten almost everything you learned before each of your exams, so how COULD your grades be a direct correlation of Board performance?

It'll be ok.

-NS

Hi NOTSHORTY- ha ha. But seriously, I scored exactly on the MCAT what I scored on the actual MCAT practice exams-and I mean exactly. Thats why his comment scared me-or maybe it shouldn't-maybe it would mean I'd be a genius on the COMLEX, actually.

Of course, I wouldn't slack off in my studies- but maybe some people would. It was an awfully powerful voice, you know. :oops:

bailey-b said:
This post is very comical!! I am a 4th year student at Nova and will give you my perspective. Every year each class has a select few that love to complain about every aspect of our curriculum, administration, and the institution in general. My class had them, the thrid year class had them, and it is quite obvious that they are in full force in the second year class. The administration is not out to get you, they are not trying to put you into residency unprepared. Trust me, the almighty Quinn, and everyone else including the first years who you discredit, you will be fine. A physician is not made during two years of medical school. You guys have a long way to go as do I. Don't discredit any class ahead of you because we had twice the hours of lecture that you currently have. They cut the lecture hours almost in half after my year for the current third years. And I am sure they cut them even more for your class. We had attendance taken everyday etc.etc. You are not the experimental rats of a new attendance policy. So that being said, as a fourth year I can assure anyone applying, and all the first and second years, including the complainers, that NSU will prepare you for you clinical rotations during third year and elective rotations during fourth year. According to Quinn, you will be prepared for residency. I just finished some rotations at some very prestigous MD programs and trust me, compared to thier students we shine. As far as boards, you are going to be given about 8 weeks ( unless you screw around on spring break) to study for boards. You have more time to study for boards that any other Osteopathic school. You can thank the administration for this. Eight weeks is PLENTY of time to do extremely well if you work hard. Quinn is absolutely correct in stating that grades do not predict how well you will do. By the time April comes around you will not remeber much about Heme/Onc, Respiratory etc. You will be scratching your head trying to figure out what a MCV is. You will be relearning 90% of the material. It is up to you to do well on the boards not the administration. They will have presented everything during your first and second year that will be on boards. Come April, it will be up to you to study. If you study hard you will do very well, if your lazy, well that is your own fault. COMLEX scores equate to how hard you worked during the two months before boards, period. Heed, quit qorrying about boards right now. Concentrate on your grades.
Trust the faculty and administration they know what they are doing. They have much more experience than you. Don't be the monday morning quarterback. When I was accepted to NSU I received a letter stating their attendance policy and dress code. I signed the document, as did you I am sure, stating that I understood the rules of attendance. What part of attendance is MANDATORY did you not understand?? To me it means attendance is mandatory. Every year a select few act as if they have never heard of this policy before. So to wrap this up, NSU is doing an excellent job training future physicians. I am completely happy that NSU gave me the opportunity to become a physician and would definately recommend this school to anyone interested. You guys will realize that by the time you get to third year all this energy you put into the anti-establishment movement was a waste of time. Not for the fact that you think they don't understand your needs, but rather, in the end the administration knows what they are doing. You'll see.....

Interesting...they do have a dress code! My rebellious inner nature balks at that. Do you guys have to wear school uniforms? Or is it only that you can't come dressed in a thong-as it would distract all the students who were trying really hard to pay attention in all their forced-attendance classes?

bailey-b said:
You said it.

"We need to be free from lectures" = LESS LECTURE HOURS, although I do concede my statement could be interpreted in the way you viewed it. We all know the attendance policy isn't going to change. :thumbdown: No use in trying to fight that battle.

yposhelley said:
Interesting...they do have a dress code! My rebellious inner nature balks at that. Do you guys have to wear school uniforms? Or is it only that you can't come dressed in a thong-as it would distract all the students who were trying really hard to pay attention in all their forced-attendance classes?

Dress up or wear scrubs each day. It's really no big deal at all.

Heeed! said:
Dress up or wear scrubs each day. It's really no big deal at all.

"How" dress up?