NSU vs NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1max2nv

Registered ABUSER
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone has any input about these two schools in regards
1) academic
2)hospital affilations
3)boards exam/match
4)Tuition/Financial Aid
5)Housing/Environment.
6)chances of obtaining a residency in other states after the first 4 years

I've got accepted to both schools, but I'm not def sure which i wanna go to . I know the area around long island ny sux for living there. Also the facilies are a bit old at nycom. However it seems that it def has a good reputation. Nova -Nsu has awesome fascilities living environment etck, but I dont hear much people say anything about its rotations-reputations.

If i go to FL -NSU i might decide to come bak to NY metro area to do my residency in anesthesiology etc (not sure yet)--- will it be much harder for me to come back to the NYC metro area as compared to being a NyCom student?

What would your opinion be as to the prospective of a nycom student copmared to a NSU student

a lotta questions but im going crazy trying to decide between the two---tuition deposits are due for both schools soON

Members don't see this ad.

hey I'm trying to decide between VCOM and NYCOM.

First, I went to undergrad at U of F and I don't like the muggy Fl weather. But you must not since you applied to Nova.

There's a post in pre-allopathic about the Application Process by a 4th year named Mike S 78 or something like that. Anyway, it states that your 3rd and 4th year rotations are very important. You could potentially rotate through where you want to do your residency and make a name for yourself with the people there. That would definitely help! NYCOM drawbacks are the cost of living. But you have NYC for a social life which can't be beat. Also, someone told me you could live in Queens and take about a 40 min bus ride to NYCOM. I agree with you that NYCOM's facilities aren't the greatest. But in the end, what gets you a residency is your grades, board scores, and rotations. So I think you have a tough choice in that NYCOM has excellent clerkships. And, even if you are a number there, medicine is all about self-learning anyway. NYCOM has impressive match lists also in my opinion.

But I don't know what I'm gonna do either. VCOM is a great place with very cheap cost of living. But it's rotations are brand new and they are rural. I think the school will be top notch and has a great future. Plus I'm waiting to hear from in state allopathic schools that have much cheaper tuition.

Look at it this way, at least we are having to choose and not having to reapply. Congratulations!

Gotta love the school A vs. school B posts. Maybe arm wrestling between the schools or a drinking contest would be a better way to settle it. But anway, here goes...

my take: I go to nycom.

1) academic- probably a draw; you dont find much difference in the first two years between schools. They all teach the same stuff and use the same books. Schools do have different testing methods and attendance policies though. Nycom has no attendance policy for lectures and exams in blocks. I think nova has a pretty strict attendance policy, at least currently, and they have exams on mondays. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2)hospital affilations- probably a pretty objective win for nycom, as nycom has the luxury of being located in NY, which has some of the finest hospitals in the land. NYCOM students rotate shoulder to shoulder with students from NYU, Cornell, Stonybrook, etc. My roommate, a nycom third year, is dating a guy who goes to Mt Sinai. They met on a rotation. Another thing to look seriously at is not only the quality of the rotations, but the location. Will you be living out of a suitcase for years 3 and 4? I think Nova has many rotations in Florida, but I think they're all over Florida, hence you'll be moving quite a bit probably. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. About 80% of nycom's rotations are in the NY metro area, my roommate hasnt had to move once.

3)boards exam/match- As for boards, cant tell you much. I think nycom does pretty well but cant give specific numbers as the school doesnt really release them and according to our dean, any school that does is probably lying as they have no obligation to tell you anything in the first place. My roommate got a 84% on the comlex and a 91% on the USMLE. She studied hard, but plays hard too.... so she says :laugh:

4)Tuition/Financial Aid- NYCOM is about 30k a year, I dont know what Nova is, probably in the same ballpark give or take a few K.

5)Housing/Environment.- Cost of living in NY is feverishly high... hence the cost of living award probably goes to Nova, but I dont know for sure what they pay down there. The weather is certainly nicer in FL from October- April :cool: , but I love the summers in NYC:thumbup: . The nightlife of NYC probably just edges out the nightlife of fort laurderdale, but it again comes at a price and partying in southern FL is certainly nothing to complain about. Long Island is kinda a drag, but NYC is close and most upperclassmen live in or very near the city.

6)chances of obtaining a residency in other states after the first 4 years- another draw. you can go anywhere after you graduate from either school. There's nothing holding you back at either place. Can NY maybe give you a few more connections b/c of the plethora of hospitals and programs in the vicinity, possibly, but it's still up to you to pound the pavement and go out to prove yourself. Nothing is handed to you, no matter where you go.

If you're interested in anesthesiology, join the club. Pretty popular right now, and increasingly very competitive. NYCOM matched like 25+ people into anesthesia last year. I copied the anesthesia match list from another post on here... not bad. Notice there's alot of NY programs, but there's just as many from elsewhere int the country, hence proof you can go anywhere, from anywhere... good luck :clap:

nycom 2003:
Anesthesia:
Cleveland Clinic
Einstein, NY (3)
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Wisconsin
Yale
NYU
Suny Downstate (5)
Maimonides, NY
Metroheath, OH
Temple, Philadelphia, PA