NSU vs Pikeville help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsudoc82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to both NSU and Pikeville. Although the two campuses are very different and offer different things, I am drawn to both. I am having a tough time choosing one. I am wanting to specialize in orthopedics and trying to pick the best place for me. I love the fact the Pikeville is a small school and more contact with faculty and students, and also like that NSU may offer more opportunities with organizations and networking. I am from LA and would like to return to this part of the country whenever possible. Any input on your school would be great, such as tests, location, friendliness, notes, strength of program, etc. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to Pikeville too...I guess the thing that worries me the most is that I might not want to go to one of their four hub spots. It doesn't sound like there's much opportunity to break out of those hubs.

However, they were the NICEST people.

iwillbesoon said:
I was accepted to Pikeville too...I guess the thing that worries me the most is that I might not want to go to one of their four hub spots. It doesn't sound like there's much opportunity to break out of those hubs.

However, they were the NICEST people.

Four hub sites?!? Bad info, we have 33 sites to pick from this year. I would give you a list but it is a fluid document. That is to say the school is frequently adding sites and removing ones that are not working out. So the list we have this year may look very different from the one you get. When it comes to choosing a school, think hard about the town, you will be there for 2 years at least. Pikeville is VERY small, only 6000 residents in the “city” limits. It can be a drastic change if you are from a large city. IMHO, any medical school can give you the information you need to be a good physician. All schools will have strengths and weaknesses. Here at PCSOM we have both ends of the spectrum. What sold me on the school was all the stuff they pay for. This laptop I am using now, ALL my books, OPP table, the list goes on. If you have questions on PCSOM feel free to PM me. (We have exams the 8th and 9th so give me some to get back to you)

E-

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, eadysx is correct, we have multiple clinical rotation sites to choose from. We are actually opening 3 or 4 up this year. They are not all in the Appalachian region either. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Aaron

The only problem with pikeville, is that there aren't many opportunities for someone who has to bring family along. I loved the people and all but I have to decline my seat based on lack of job opportunities for my sig other.

I was accepted to both Pikeville and KCOM. I chose KCOM because of distance from family. I liked Pikeville alot. The class size was small and the faculty/staff were all pretty cool, especially Angel in the library. I did alot of research into both locations. Job posibilites for my wife, crime statistics, socio-economics, cost of living, and even political flavor (red county vs. blue county). I would advise you to do a little research and talk to some current students at both schools. Find out as much as you can. I am actually looking into rotation opportunites out there. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know about the rotation sites for Pikeville in Foley AL, Gulfport MS, and New Orleans? Are they strong? Do these sites offer ortho residencies? I would like to have my core rotation site at a hospital that offers ortho residency. I would love to talk with someone who has been to these, or knows anything about them. Thanks.