NSU vs. UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting another one of these, but I'm having a pretty hard time deciding between these two. They each have their own pros and cons. Is anyone else deciding between these two schools? -or- Is anyone a current NSU or UNECOM student and had the same choice that I currently have? If anyone could shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would have picked UNE. It was my second choice because of the small class size, which afforded opportunities such as 4 students per cadaver (no A/B groups), no monstrous lectures with 300+ students, and a community feel. The Biddeford/Saco area is great because you don't have to deal with the headaches associated with city living (i.e. traffic in the Davie area), but Portland is only 20 minutes away and a fantastic city (makes me wish I could eat at Duckfat again). The rotation sites were key for me because I would be allowed to rotate in my hometown. But what I liked was the mix of large tertiary centers with small community programs. Also, the clinical prep at UNE seemed outstanding, with Essentials of Doctoring spanning both preclinical years. Also, the new block scheduling was something I liked.

My $0.02. Hope it helped a little. PM me if you want to pick my brain some more and hash out your decision.

Personally, I would have picked UNE. It was my second choice because of the small class size, which afforded opportunities such as 4 students per cadaver (no A/B groups), no monstrous lectures with 300+ students, and a community feel. The Biddeford/Saco area is great because you don't have to deal with the headaches associated with city living (i.e. traffic in the Davie area), but Portland is only 20 minutes away and a fantastic city (makes me wish I could eat at Duckfat again). The rotation sites were key for me because I would be allowed to rotate in my hometown. But what I liked was the mix of large tertiary centers with small community programs. Also, the clinical prep at UNE seemed outstanding, with Essentials of Doctoring spanning both preclinical years. Also, the new block scheduling was something I liked.

My $0.02. Hope it helped a little. PM me if you want to pick my brain some more and hash out your decision.
Right on. PM'd you Boner.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get far more opinions with a poll!!
No reasons, but opinions, for sure.....
Everybody likes to vote!! :laugh:

Go with New England, I believe you said you had friends there too! Also, go with your gut instinct.

Best of luck Mr. HemaOncoDoc

:luck:
Thanks Cat. Like I said before, you're awesome! Psst, click on the bottom link and vote!

Go with New England, I believe you said you had friends there too! Also, go with your gut instinct.

Best of luck Mr. HemaOncoDoc

:luck:

Whoops! What if his gut instinct is different to chosing UNE?! :confused:
It is a tough choice, my friend! :luck:

honestly i dont think u can go wrong with either school..ur in a lucky position where u can pick which school to go to :) Agreed with others..go to the school that you will be HAPPY at.. or see urself being happy at..

honestly i dont think u can go wrong with either school..ur in a lucky position where u can pick which school to go to :) Agreed with others..go to the school that you will be HAPPY at.. or see urself being happy at..
for the most part go where you will see yourself at, in medical school and later on practicing in the area. If you do, it's probably a good indication of your gut feeling. :)

Hi HemaOncoDoc-
I interviewed at UNECOM last week, but even if I do get an acceptance there, I think I will still go to NSU.
I do have family in the area, so that's a plus.
Also, the area is more metropolitan and diverse (two things that are super important to me).
Good luck with making your decision :)

Hi HemaOncoDoc-
I interviewed at UNECOM last week, but even if I do get an acceptance there, I think I will still go to NSU.
I do have family in the area, so that's a plus.
Also, the area is more metropolitan and diverse (two things that are super important to me).
Good luck with making your decision :)
Thanks for your input indynshrty. I had the same initial thought, but when I got my acceptance from UNE, it changed my opinion. When you have an acceptance letter in your hand, it makes a difference.

Thanks for your input indynshrty. I had the same initial thought, but when I got my acceptance from UNE, it changed my opinion. When you have an acceptance letter in your hand, it makes a difference.
That is true, but at the same time, Maine definitely isn't as diverse as Florida, and that definitely makes a huge difference for me.
There were also some other things that will probably deter me from UNE, but most are included on your list.
The class the size doesn't really make a difference to me, as I went to Ohio State and the larger class size isn't a huge problem.
I've also been accepted to a couple of other schools, but unless I get into the University of Cincinnati or Wright State, I'll most likely to go NSU.
Again, good luck. :)