NSUMD vs DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray_of_Sunshine_MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nova

Pros:

I can still live at home for medical school which saves costs

In SoFlo so there is plenty of diversity and there won't be a focus only on rural medicine

Has an established DO program which hopefully translates well for the MD program too

More research opportunities

Cons:

Tuition

I have heard some not so pleasant things from students who currently go there

It is not yet LCME accredited as it is only three years old (no graduating class to look up to yet)

DMU

Pros:

Students seem very happy here

Well established school

Only medical school in the area

Cons:

In Des Moines which is very far from support system

Tuition

While I don't have any prejudice it is a DO school, whereas I recently got accepted to NOVAMD... Will there be any more barriers this way?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Nova. While it’s a new MD school, it will give you a leg up on any DO school come match time. You also won’t have to take COMPLEX or spend time learning OMM(a pro unless you want to do OMM). That coupled with the ability to stay close to home makes it the best choice. I will say DMU seems like an awesome school and where I’ll be starting in the fall if I don’t get in off any MD waitlists, so I can understand why it might be a tougher decision than most people might think.

DOs do have some barriers to more competitive residency programs, possibly more with Step becoming P/F. As for the accreditation issue, rarely does a school not receive accreditation after graduating their first class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users