Nucynta question once again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few months back I posted a question about Nucynta -

I have been curious about this drug for some time - and after reading that recent article about opioid metabolism ("The Metabolism of Opioid Agents and the Clinical Impact of Their Active Metabolites" in Clinical Journal of Pain Dec 2011), it became clear to me that I needed to start using it.

Since then, I have given it to 4 people. I heard back from the first one today. It was for chronic groin pain. Anyway, he said it worked better than percocet with much less side effects. That is kinda what the drug company funded studies show as well.

Anyway, my question is this.

Even though the drug is schedule II and hits the mu receptor, I didn't treat it like I do other opioids (i.e...opioid contract signed by him and his PCM, pee testing, etc). DEA scheduling is a joke (how you have a drug in 3 different schedules based on what it is mixed with is BEYOND ME) so I don't really care much about that - but I am worried about patient safety and all that.

So...

When starting Nucynta, are you guys doing the whole opioid contract and huge opioid talk and all that?

Parenthetically, I started my first patient on Opana ER today. We will see how that goes. I think it is a 3rd cheaper than oxy at our institution - that is why I thought I should try it - in addition to the metabolism reasons mentioned above for nucynta.

Members don't see this ad.

You are confusing the science of medicine with medicolegal requirements. Nucynta is C2 and you need to treat it that way. Just because a substance has low mu affinity does not necessarily make it less abusable. Look at cocaine and meth - no mu and highly abused.

DEA says C2 so you say ICAT and UDS.

I do the same, only because it is schedule 2, I have not as as of yet heard of any abuse. Make sure that long term you put them on the extended release form, because the copay coupons on the IR are only good for 3 months and most (all) of my patients cannot afford the copay on this drug.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS it usually takes several years to become aware of abuse and other problems with a drug. Many on the forum have been in practice long enough to remember when oxycontin was marketed as non addictive. There was a tremendous push by purdue, speakers and dinners, drug reps bringing lunch and slides,reps who basically never left your office because they were trying to convince you that oxycontin was the greatest thing ever. Then the abuse cases came to light, then all the tragic deaths. All new drugs are on probation with me for 5 years, thats about hoe long it takes for unseen complications to come to loght. Anybody remember Vioxx?
About the Nucynta I have had some good results with it for those esp who don't like feeling "high" and some cases of dysphoria and nightmares. The company has coupons so that the patient does not have to pay more than $20 or so, they can't use it if on Medicare or Medicaid and nobody can afford this drug without the coupon

I do the same, only because it is schedule 2, I have not as as of yet heard of any abuse. Make sure that long term you put them on the extended release form, because the copay coupons on the IR are only good for 3 months and most (all) of my patients cannot afford the copay on this drug.

When in doubt about opioid abuse, go where to pros go to learn how to abuse opoids, opioiphile.org! Here are a few comments on Nucynta from the junkies themselves:

http://forum.opiophile.org/printthread.php?t=37072&pp=30&page=1

Nucynta?
Printable View
09-15-2011 03:13 PMx31966
Nucynta?
Anybody know anything about these? Are they good? If so what's the street value?
09-15-2011 03:16 PMDr. McKay
Re: Nucynta???
I heard they suck for both pain and euphoria . No street value at all. Maybe a few bucks if someone is desperate and is in withdrawal maybe !
09-15-2011 03:45 PMSpork
UTMFSE.

Just since you're a girl, I'll give you some answers, lol.

It's weak, and has weird norepinephrine reuptake inhibition, so it causes a strange wired feel.

Did I mention it's weak?

I'd steer clear.
09-15-2011 04:32 PMx31966
Thanks you guys! And a special thanks goes out to spork for not sporking me.

My friend got these at the doc today and thinks she's about to get rich.. gonna break the bad news.

What would you compare them to? Tramadol? Can anyone compare them to anything more common. Thank you!
09-15-2011 04:37 PMSpork
Hey, that's mean, I might want to spork you, depending on how you look :D.

Tapentadol is stronger than tramadol, and lacks significant serotonin reuptake inhibition, however, they are most frequently compared with tramadol.

While tapentadol is considered "potent" as far as pain relief goes, we all know, this doesn't make for euphoria.

Compare fentanyl and oxycodone, clearly the oxycodone is more euphoric, even if it is weak.
09-15-2011 05:37 PMsourcecod
**** Nucynta.

When I was buying them, I pretty much feel like I was ripped off,
as most of the people I intro'd them to did not become repeat buyers...
unless they were sick as **** and desperate (ie, not looking 4 recreation value per dollar)

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthrea...hlight=nucynta
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 AM.
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.1.1
Copyright © 2011 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Advertise On Opiophile!
© 2011-2012 Opiophile.org

TAPENTADOL IS AWESOME
Printable View
10-08-2011 08:05 PMSynack
TAPENTADOL IS AWESOME
So I've recently started a trail of tapentadol - and I have pretty large tolerance (120mg intranasal oxymorphone on top of a 100mcg/hr fent patch every 48 hours). I can snort 120mg of opana er and barely feel a damn thing - but 100mg of nucynta has me feeling pretty good. 200mg has me nodding out.

It's not the best opiate high in the world - and a bit speedy, but it's the only opiate high I seem to be able to get..
10-08-2011 08:14 PMDr. McKay
Re: TAPENTADOL IS AWESOME
This is nucynta correct ?
I was told the pills had no recreational value at all.
My doc even told me the stunk, buut told me he would put me on it if I wanted.
Can they be crushed up or do you have to take them orally only ?
10-08-2011 08:20 PMryan5892
I'd assume your getting high off these because they aren't really like most "normal" opiates, so less cross-tolerance and what not.

Tolerance raises quick from what I hear but I've never even seen one. I'd like to after reading this, most others say they aren't worth a ****.
10-08-2011 08:23 PMjill
That sure is an unusual comment for this forum!
10-08-2011 08:30 PMqwertmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill
That sure is an unusual comment for this forum!
yea, I had to do a double take because at first glance I though this was an attempt at trolling...

But glad you're feelin good! Enjoy!
10-08-2011 09:30 PMPrincess Kitty
My dr gave me a sample and I was not impressed. Even if I took it with some oxy or hydro I couldn't feel it. I told my dr it messes with my heart rate and it's expensive as hell. I don't understand why it's a CII.
10-08-2011 10:39 PMJunkette
I took two 75mg tabs with a little bit of heroin several weeks ago and I couldn't tell in the slightest any effects....

Also you should NEVER snort these, if you do you will have a new definition for the word PAIN. I think they've put something in them to prevent snorting and it burns like mace in your sinuses.
10-08-2011 10:51 PMblinky89
this stuff was horrible for me....it was like the speedy buzz of tramadol doubled, plus a slight opi buzz....but to get enough in you to get the opi buzz to enjoyable levels, you would put the speedy effect waaay to high and it would take away and good effect. i mean, i wouldnt turn it down in wd's, but i def wont be out looking for them either
10-08-2011 11:21 PMSynack
I was amazed at first - tramadol doesn't do **** for me.. I guess it's a body chemistry thing... I'm taking them orally and don't intend to inject them. I'm not judging this strictly on recreational value - while it seems to have some IMO it's working pretty well on this nerve pain.

Yes, this is nucynta.

Has no one else had a good experience with this drug?
10-08-2011 11:39 PMjill
Not by the reports here,...there are several threads on Nucynta or tapentadol (by both names)...and people c/o problems with it or it not working well enough.
12-20-2011 07:19 PMbodytec
i'm hoping for the nerve blocking effects...
just got sciatica from a pinched disc
12-20-2011 07:38 PMDutch
Nucynta is ****ing laffs! That **** is just a terrible drug that should have been shelved from the get go. Everytime I took enough to feel high I also got trippy visuals, dry mouth, and couldn't sleep. Grrrreat.
12-20-2011 08:09 PMChipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodytec
i'm hoping for the nerve blocking effects...
just got sciatica from a pinched disc
You may want to try Epilem (Sodium Valproate) for your sciatica - a great nerve signal attenuator.
12-20-2011 08:23 PMjill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper
You may want to try Epilem (Sodium Valproate) for your sciatica - a great nerve signal attenuator.
Chipper, sodium valproate, in the US is known as valproic acid. It it is commonly prescribed as a preventative treatment to individuals diagnosed with epilepsy. I don't think I have recently seen it used for nerve blocking effects here, but I am sure there is some 'old school' that still may try it. It has dangerous side effects of dropping white blood cells, and the marrow doesn't reproduced so it has been years (like 15) since I have been on it. And it was only a week at that, and I almost died. Did end up in the hospital. Although, I did have relief the first few days before I became very ill.

However, it is also prescribed to individuals deemed to be manic and as a preventative agent in individuals diagnosed with Bipolar disorder.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.1.1
Copyright © 2011 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Advertise On Opiophile!
© 2011-2012 Opiophile.org

You are confusing the science of medicine with medicolegal requirements. Nucynta is C2 and you need to treat it that way. Just because a substance has low mu affinity does not necessarily make it less abusable. Look at cocaine and meth - no mu and highly abused.

DEA says C2 so you say ICAT and UDS.

Umm...

I'm not sure what I am confusing, but....I am confused most of the time so not surprising.

But I don't agree that the DEA/FDA have ANY authority on what has abuse potential. The FDA is probably the most ******ed worst run/shady organization in the government. Marinol is still classified as a scheduled substance, despite there not being any case report, self report, or clinic reporting a SINGLE case of abuse.

When in doubt about opioid abuse, go where to pros go to learn how to abuse opoids, opioiphile.org! Here are a few comments on Nucynta from the junkies themselves:

http://forum.opiophile.org/printthread.php?t=37072&pp=30&page=1

Nucynta?
Printable View
09-15-2011 03:13 PMx31966
Nucynta?
Anybody know anything about these? Are they good? If so what's the street value?
09-15-2011 03:16 PMDr. McKay
I heard they suck for both pain and euphoria . No street value at all. Maybe a few bucks if someone is desperate and is in withdrawal maybe !
09-15-2011 03:45 PMSpork
UTMFSE.

Just since you're a girl, I'll give you some answers, lol.

It's weak, and has weird norepinephrine reuptake inhibition, so it causes a strange wired feel.

Did I mention it's weak?

I'd steer clear.
09-15-2011 04:32 PMx31966
Thanks you guys! And a special thanks goes out to spork for not sporking me.

My friend got these at the doc today and thinks she's about to get rich.. gonna break the bad news.

What would you compare them to? Tramadol? Can anyone compare them to anything more common. Thank you!
09-15-2011 04:37 PMSpork
Hey, that's mean, I might want to spork you, depending on how you look :D.

Tapentadol is stronger than tramadol, and lacks significant serotonin reuptake inhibition, however, they are most frequently compared with tramadol.

While tapentadol is considered "potent" as far as pain relief goes, we all know, this doesn't make for euphoria.

Compare fentanyl and oxycodone, clearly the oxycodone is more euphoric, even if it is weak.
09-15-2011 05:37 PMsourcecod
**** Nucynta.

When I was buying them, I pretty much feel like I was ripped off,
as most of the people I intro'd them to did not become repeat buyers...
unless they were sick as **** and desperate (ie, not looking 4 recreation value per dollar)

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthrea...hlight=nucynta