painfree23

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
inherited a patient on nucynta..100mg ER q12h and IR100mg q12h for breakthrough. Continued it last visit as it is helpful for him. Been on it for a year. Now patient says it's too expensive for him, how would transition him? Slow taper off and add tramadol at the same time? I don't want to escalate to norco or other narcotic, but if I did, what is the equivalent? Couldn't find much online about it

Thanks in advance

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I would rotate to tramadol as you are suggesting and have done this successfully in my practice

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

About the Ads

kstarm

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I will have to consider the tramadol rotation. Just tapering has been really difficult for one of my patients, I'm currently trying to just reduce by changing some of her ER to IR and going down slowly.

clubdeac

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Last I knew, 50mg Nucynta is comparable to 10mg oxydodone so Tramadol ain't gonna touch it

Reactions: Tapspatellas

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
as club mentions there's a significant change in comparable OME so I have weaned down the Nucynta and then flat out told the patient Tramadol is their only other option (this was a patient who had regular insurance and then had to switch to 'caid). he's doing fine.

Reactions: painfree23

clubdeac

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
When I was in pp I inherited a patient who was on oxycodone 10mg qid for chronic post traumatic headaches. I hated the fact that he was on oxy for this indication and finally got him to rotate to 100mg Nucynta tid. Still hated prescribing that and left the practice before I was able to wean him off. Private practice suuuuuuucked.....so many **** patients like this that I had to somewhat appease in order to keep my "numbers" up. Bull****....

Reactions: painfree23

PapaDosh

15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
PA
Status
Attending Physician
See if your state's medicaid will cover levorphanol for something of equal analgesic value with neuropathic coverage. I know NJ and DE are starting to, but you have to pretty much use mail order pharmacies as its otherwise is impossible for the patient to find it/get the PA for it.

Ducttape

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Reactions: Jigsaw

lobelsteve

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Canton GA
www.stevenlobel.com
Status
Attending Physician
Nucynta mu binding is 1/50th of morphine in published data and 1/17th morphine in unpublished data.
The meq of 40Nucynta = 100ms04 is nonsense.

IN2B8R

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Put on bid to tid low dose methadone and call it a day....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

About the Ads