Nudge me in the right direction.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Round4

Med School Dreams
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched and searched SDN for about an hour now looking for some kind of guide that shows exact steps to be ready for the Med school application process. I know what the pre-req's are I'm just curious as to what the perfect way to get ready. Such as how much shadowing, volunteering jobs and so on...Thanks in advance guys.

Members don't see this ad.

There's no set amount of anything. Just do some more searching and compile your own list of things YOU would like to do.

I have searched and searched SDN for about an hour now looking for some kind of guide that shows exact steps to be ready for the Med school application process. I know what the pre-req's are I'm just curious as to what the perfect way to get ready. Such as how much shadowing, volunteering jobs and so on...Thanks in advance guys.

60-80hrs of shadowing
150+hrs of patient contact volunteering over 1-2 yrs.

Other good ECs...tutoring, leadership, research.

Non-med volunteer - soup kitchens, helping underpriviledged kids, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like it has been said before, there is no set amount of "things" you need to do. However, check out some MDapps to get a feel of what others do for extracurriculars. Some of the most common are volunteer work (both medically related and non-medically related), research, sports/hobbies, clubs, paid work, leadership positions, etc.

As far as how much of each you should do, it is debatable. Really just do as much as you feel is adequate (or however much you want to do).

get really really involved in things you like. If you like a club, get an exec position. If you like volunteering, do lots of it. If you like research, work hard and often on it.

If you can't talk about it passionately, you're wasting your time

The main thing to keep in mind when shadowing and volunteering is that you need quality exposure to doctors and patients. If you're in a small room sorting papers all day then that will count very little. What most adcoms ask themselves is basically "does this guy know what he's getting himself into, or does he think that medicine is like gray's anatomy where everyone's makeup is perfect and their teeth are brilliant white." If you do good shadowing then ask about sleep deprivation, long hours, debt....you know, the 'ugly' side of practicing. This way the adcoms will know that you are perfectly aware of what you are getting yourself into and won't quit halfway through med school.

me donch like you >.<

me likey peeepol that do things from bottom of heart :(

bad bad you.

just look at what dubby said, what he said is good enuff.

me donch like you >.<

me likey peeepol that do things from bottom of heart :(

bad bad you.

just look at what dubby said, what he said is good enuff.

How strange...:confused: