What’s the right course of action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDR467

Reaction score
Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pending my MCAT but I hope to knock that out the park!

3.48 Cgpa 3.43 Sgpa

2000+ hours of clinical experience as a physical therapy technician, Ophthalmic Technician, and probably getting a job as an anesthesia tech soon

1 year as a general chemistry lab TA

100+ hours shadowing 3 different physicians

5 publication’s

8 presentation’s

1 semester in SEA-GENES laboratory in collaboration with Howard Hughes Medical institute doing research on bacteriophage.

4 years as a member of pre-med club

1 year as president of an ethnic student association.

50+ hours as a hospital volunteer

Students for orphan relief

Volunteer at local Mosque

Shooting for DO since GPA isn’t that hot

Here’s the caveat I went to optometry school for a quarter and realized that it wasn’t what I wanted, but during my time there I received an academic probation ( lifted after remediation of practical) for initially failing a clinical practical (I got a 78%) due to timing issues. I got an ADHD diagnosis which helps explain my issue with timing but I’m concerned ADCOMS might completely rejects my prior accomplishments due to the one practical. Optometry grades were as follows

A-
A-
B
B
B-
C ( dropped from B- due to the remediation)

Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated !
Come back with an MCAT score for useful advice.
I’m concerned about the history of leaving optometry school as you did, that you might not be ready for the heavier course load of medical school

Reactions: 5 users
I appreciate the insight if I do well do you think that’s enough to prove that I’m capable or would you suggest trying to do more schooling ?
If you do well on what, the MCAT?

If you withdrew from optometry school in good standing (it sounds like you did, since your academic probation was lifted after retaking the practical) I don't think the academic part will be a factor moving forward.

More relevant factors will be:
1. you quit a professional school after 1 semester, opening doubts about your motivations and decision making
2. you have very little volunteering in your community, something you must add to before submitting an application to DO schools
3. having experience as an ophthalmic tech should have put you ahead of your optometry school classmates in terms of passing a practical exam, unless you were just "going through the motions" at your tech job without understanding what you were doing. Take time to reflect on this, does this describe what happened?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.