NUIG affiliation with North American schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popeyespinach

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here, either someone attending NUIG or not, was aware of a list of schools affiliated with NUIG. I have received an offer of acceptance from their 5-year program and my concern is that if I want to come back to practice in Canada/US, how I would be able to set up visiting electives, especially when many schools in USA only allow visiting electives from visiting students from their affiliations.

Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here, either someone attending NUIG or not, was aware of a list of schools affiliated with NUIG. I have received an offer of acceptance from their 5-year program and my concern is that if I want to come back to practice in Canada/US, how I would be able to set up visiting electives, especially when many schools in USA only allow visiting electives from visiting students from their affiliations.

Any help is appreciated.

I can ask one of my NUIG colleagues if they have any affiliations but, to be frank they don't really mean a whole lot. Affiliations tend to change year by year and the majority of Irish students set up their own visiting electives anyway. The AFMC portal has now been running for 2 years and has given out tons of electives to Canadians Studying Abroad. The U.S. is a little less formal but, most Americans I know (including myself) had no issue setting up 3+ U.S. electives at non affiliated schools. U.S. programs will often say on their visiting electives page which schools they have an affiliation with so you can look at that if you want.

I can ask one of my NUIG colleagues if they have any affiliations but, to be frank they don't really mean a whole lot. Affiliations tend to change year by year and the majority of Irish students set up their own visiting electives anyway. The AFMC portal has now been running for 2 years and has given out tons of electives to Canadians Studying Abroad. The U.S. is a little less formal but, most Americans I know (including myself) had no issue setting up 3+ U.S. electives at non affiliated schools. U.S. programs will often say on their visiting electives page which schools they have an affiliation with so you can look at that if you want.

Really? I ask because I looked into a few schools for their visiting electives and they all required that they offer visiting electives to their affiliated schools only (the ones I looked into were Columbia, Cornell, Kentucky, Virginia). Of course my first choice would be to come back to Canada without a doubt but I think given the sheer number of spots in US residency compared to CaRMS makes it a no-doubter to apply to US as well and from what I have read and heard, it seems like for US spots, US recommendation letters carry a lot more weight than Canadian ones.