Number of Applicants for 2004-2005 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bth7

It's worth it in the end . . .
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there's any data around for the number of applicants to med school this year versus last year?

I've heard its up substantially.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard it was around 36,000 applicants compared to 2003's 34,500.

I may be wrong, so anyone with accurate numbers please correct me.

Thanks, where did you get this number?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah heard a similar # as well

Ambs said:
I've heard it was around 36,000 applicants compared to 2003's 34,500.

I may be wrong, so anyone with accurate numbers please correct me.
36,000 applicants are competing for how many spots approximately?

you can look up all this stuff at the aamc's website
they have numbers accepted and applied for the last 10 or so years

FloridaMadame said:
It's hung pretty steady at roughly 16000 seats. If I were to actually get up and get the MSAR I could tell you the real number, but I'm really comfy as is. So I won't. phtbtbt.

FloridaMadame said:

For approx. 16,000 seats. I heard all these numbers at my Boston U. interview from Dean Witzburg.

Even though the number of applicants is higher this year, everyone applying to U.S. allopathic medical schools should still be thankful. Back in 1976, there were around 15,000 first year seats and nearly 40,000 applicants (source: Kenneth Ludmerer, Time to Heal (Oxford University Press: New York, 1999), p. 272.)

From my understanding about this year's pool, the increase was about 1500 extra applicants. However, the big difference this year was the fact that the average number of schools that people applied to went up so the number of total applications went up considerably. This just means that we all had to apply to more schools to make sure we get into that 40% that gets in.

scattered said:
Even though the number of applicants is higher this year, everyone applying to U.S. allopathic medical schools should still be thankful. Back in 1976, there were around 15,000 first year seats and nearly 40,000 applicants (source: Kenneth Ludmerer, Time to Heal (Oxford University Press: New York, 1999), p. 272.)

Yeah, at face value that's true, but there are a lot of factors underlying that. First off, that does not mention anything about accepted stats. And it also depends on your demographic as well. Back in 1976, male applicants outnumbered female by about 3:1, and interestingly, accepted students basically maintained that ratio...i.e., almost as many male applicants were accepted to med school as total number of females who applied. So this was a clearly a different time. But yes, those are scary numbers.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/2004summary.htm

The worst year in recent history to apply was 1996, when almost 47,000 people applied for 16,201 spots; the best recent year was 2002 when less than 34,000 people applied for 16,488 spots. Last year there were 16,648 first year class spost, but they seem to add 75-100 students (nationally) per year.