Number of applicants for each school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what those of you who have interviewed in this cycle 2003-2004 have been told at those schools concerning the number of applicants they have had or are projected to have when all is said and done.

I heard Boston area schools(with the exception of Harvard)falling around 2000-2500 applicants which is beginning to sound like they are up to the stratosphere. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I was told Nova had 2000+ :eek:

I hope this tops off soon because it can't be going on like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the school that rejected me mentioned in the rejection letter that they had a unprecedented amount of applicants this year. I think UOP has on of the largest may be due to the three year program. I think next year will be more.

BU last year had actually a drop from 2400 the previous year to 2100. This year looks like it has spiked back up. Not to go off too much on a tangent but from people who are eyeing pharmacy are reporting that Mass College of Pharmacy and Northeastern are also reporting the same spike.

Columbia claims that 1 in 4 or 5 applications for all AADSAS apps have Columbia on it.

Could the weak job market have something to do with the spike? Perhaps application rates will drop when the economy picks up.

ToothMonkey said:
Could the weak job market have something to do with the spike? Perhaps application rates will drop when the economy picks up.
You're right on. Graduate school applications rise clear across the board during economic troubles, and fall when the job market is hotter. Applications dropped precipitously in the 90's when the tech market was booming, and jumped back up when the last recession hit.

Tufts received 2000-2500 applications for the Class of 2008.

aphistis said:
You're right on. Graduate school applications rise clear across the board during economic troubles, and fall when the job market is hotter. Applications dropped precipitously in the 90's when the tech market was booming, and jumped back up when the last recession hit.

Yep, it's all cyclical. And its not JUST dental school, but last I heard med school, law school, and pretty much ALL graduate school applications are up relative to what they were last decade. So Bill is correct.

More and more college seniors are opting to continue their education rather than jump into a dismal job market. The job market has not been kind to new graduates over the past few years, so this trend is very understandable. Then you have the career changers, those who got laid off, etc......which all adds up to a VERY competitive applicant pool!!

Boy, I sure am glad I'm gonna be a DS1 next year. Hats off to the future applicants. It's a jungle out there!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else?

NYU recieves well over 2000 applicants!

Are applicants applying for more schools or due to an significant increase in number of applicants?

Cos I was thinking to apply to 6 schools, but changed my mind to 13 after hearing about all these competitiveness to get into a dental school.

I think UMKC had 800.

Jessica

From what I was told, Temple had 2000+ applicants as well, and they had a much lower attrition rate than they were used to, so I guess people were accepting Temple right away and why many people were waitlisted...

UNLV had roughly 1300 last year, I would imagine the number increased this year.

Of that 1300, only about 90 of them were in-state.

USC received about 1,800 applications last year. In my interview, the officer said they expected more than 2,000 this year.

While the applicants may be dramatically increasing at each individual school, one must keep in mind that the overall number of applicants (total AADSAS numbers) may not be increasing as much. The applicants are probably just applying to more schools to ensure they get in somewhere.

dr_benj said:
While the applicants may be dramatically increasing at each individual school, one must keep in mind that the overall number of applicants (total AADSAS numbers) may not be increasing as much. The applicants are probably just applying to more schools to ensure they get in somewhere.

Exactly. Applications are up across the board, but not by THAT much. Overall about 9000 ppl apply to D-school and 4500 accepted...so on average you have about 50% of applicants getting in each cycle. That's really not too shabby. The problem with ppl applying to so many schools is that while it may increase the chance that competive applicants will be accepted to any school...it decreases the chances of an applicant getting into any one specific school. Quite the pain in the ass in my opinion...filling out all those paper apps back in the stone age really must have sucked...but at least you knew it was better than spinning a roulette wheel.

Arizona received over 2000 applications this year. Roughly 1 in 4.5 applicants applied to Arizona.

For a 2nd year school, that's phenomenal--especially when the other top schools have solid names attached with them: Tufts, USC, BU, Columbia, etc.