Number of Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dominator39

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to find out how many people have applied to medical school this year? I know there has been a downward trend for the past couple years, but perhaps all of this confusion with AMCAS caused some people to wait until next year or not apply at all. Do you think this will improve the chances of those of us who toughed it out and applied this year? Just some food for thought.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about this year. But, last year's application cycle had approx. 35,000 applicants. The trend over the past few years (since 1997, I think) has been toward fewer applicants per year (as you stated). Hope this helps.

If you go to the "Good site for AMCAS info" that someone posted, it tells how many have applied thus far. I think it was about 12,000.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify, AMCAS says that as of last weekend they will have shipped about 12,000 summaries to the schools. Meaning that at that point they were only sending out the 1 page summaries. I would assume though that this must be at least a rough approximation of the number of apps submitted.

Does anyone know how this compares with the usual number of apps at this point in the process from years past?

Homer J.

A very useful book to check out is the MSAR (medical scholl admission requirements) It's put out by the AAMC and has all types of good info on each medical school. ie # of applicants (in state and out,) # of interviews granted, ave GPS and MCATs, type of ciriculum, grading system etc. You can buy it at the aamc web site, but I found a copy at my university library.

Just under 25000 people took the MCAT in April...

Let's not forget those who are taking the August MCAT and will be applying later...

And those of us who took it last August and are applying this year . . .

thanx for speaking up for us "minorities" grasshopper! :D

Just to throw another variable out there...not everyone who took it in April will be applying. Some will get their scores and realize it's not worth it, and plenty of people like to give standardized tests a go just to get a feel for it. (Why anyone would want to take the MCAT more than once is beyond me.)

Bumping this up.

Anyone know what the current number of apps is?

Some of the articles that have been written state that AMCAS is expecting 33,000 applications this year. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 33,000 is awfully optimistic given this debacle.

Actually, i'd say the scary thing is- even if less people decided to submit this year due to AMCAS problems - who do you think toughed it out? I'd say mostly people with high stats, motivated, who want to get in and start in 02. The kids who'll put in the work as they have the stats behind all the effort. Although exceptions may exist, i'd say in general most of the students with lesser stats would wait it out. So even tho less people applied, I'd hazard to say the average applicant is much better this year than in years past.

Oh, have a heart, Trek! We really didn't want to hear that!

come on now, SMW, you know it hurt me to write it! Unfortunately, i'm not in that 'upper echelon', so it's a tough pill to swallow here too!

**Off-topic**

Trek_OCLV? I'm guessin' you're a Lance Armstrong and/or U.S. Postal fan, and if you are, how about that Stage 10 to Alpe d'Huez? or Stage 13 to Pla Adet(sp?)?...exciting stuff!!

Originally posted by SaucyAZN:
•**Off-topic**

Trek_OCLV? I'm guessin' you're a Lance Armstrong and/or U.S. Postal fan, and if you are, how about that Stage 10 to Alpe d'Huez? or Stage 13 to Pla Adet(sp?)?...exciting stuff!!•

I have been a fan for 16 years (through the LeMond and Hampsten years) I have never seen anything quite like Lance's performance.
Very Merkx like indeed.

To win the time trials, the yellow jersey, and Le Alpe d'Huez...Impressive...

Ya Know, Lance's backup plan was to become an Oncologist if he failed to turn the racing career around after the cancer.

Interesting...

to be honest i don't think the AMCAS problems are going to affect the number of people applying at all. people who intend to go to med school are by nature very motivated and driven (of course, there are exceptions, but i'm talking about the majority). i highly doubt that someone is going to take four years-worth of killer science classes and then take the MCAT, not to mention the other stuff that goes into med school applications, and then suddenly decide to completely put their future on hold because they don't like the way the application works. sure, this year is especially bad with the new application, but the fact is, AMCAS has always been extremely inefficient--it's just the reality of applying to med school. every med student before us had to go through AMCAS. if you want to go to med school, you just deal with it--that's just the way it is.

if there *is* a population of people who do indeed decide not to apply this year due to the app, i'd say it's most likely the less-motivated applicants, not necessarily those with lower stats. there are plenty of people with high numbers who apply to med school simply *because* of their high numbers, because they see med school as a sure thing, a safe career, not because they're interested in becoming a doctor per se. i've seen it. you could argue that those with lower stats may be even MORE motivated than many of those with higher stats, because getting into med school is way more of an uphill climb for them yet they're persevering anyway.

just my thoughts.

sandflea,

Bravo! I couldn't have said it any better! What are you, a mindreader? ;)

I bet that there will be fewer applicants (I am not going to get into "quality" here, although I tend to agree with Trek). How many people get there materials in at the last minute in a given year? The number may not be that high given the nature of premeds, but I think that it will probably make a noticable difference.