Letter of Rec. question, number of letters etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B506234

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a little stuck on whom to choose to write my rec letters.

I originally planned to ask:
  • My undergrad PI.
  • One science professor who taught 2 of my classes (of around ~120 students); did exceptionally well in both classes and frequently went to office hours.
  • One science professor who taught a seminar class (~15-20 students). Did very well on assignments and made an A. Frequently went to office hours.
  • My current PI (I work in a small lab, so we communicate every day).
  • Two humanities professors, both English:
    • One was Intro to Fiction; I was probably the closest to her of all of my professors. Extremely complimentary of my work.
    • One was Lit. and Cultural Diversity in America (basically literature and race in America); complimentary of my work, improvement, and understanding of race issues in the US. Frequently went to office hours and made an A.
My Undergrad PI and the two science professors all wrote recommendations for the post-bac program I am currently in. My current PI and I are rather close and I developed good relationships with my English professors.

I doubt letter quality is an issue here but is this a good list of letter writers? Are there too many letters?

I also volunteer at a hospital and at a food distribution organization but I don't think I'm close enough to the people in charge for a letter.

I apologize that I'm overthinking this a little bit. Any input is much appreciated.

Thank you so much and best of luck to anyone applying this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.