Number of Away Electives Allowed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wadigga33

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a 4th yr and looking to do away electives. I am not sure of the info so i will post it. My school allows me 12 weeks of away rotations and i was just wondering if i would be allowed to complete more than 12 and if i did, are there any negative consequences (not recognized by some states, unable to do residency, etc.). I have called my school, some US med schools and am waiting to hear back from the Bureau of Hospital Services in NY but dont have anything concrete yet. A fellow student from my school said that if you go over 12 weeks you might become inelgible for residency in some states (NY). If anyone has any information or advice on this please drop me aline..thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno... my school normally only allows 8 weeks, but if you have "extenuating circumstances" they will sometimes let you do all of fourth year away... if it's at a licensed US school, I don't know why it would be a problem (of course, that doesn't mean it has to make sense).

Hi. I am a 4th yr and looking to do away electives. I am not sure of the info so i will post it.
It's a little late when it comes to getting aways as long interviews. But if you want to be in the states, places will take you.
My school allows me 12 weeks of away rotations and i was just wondering if i would be allowed to complete more than 12
Your school would know that better than us
and if i did, are there any negative consequences (not recognized by some states, unable to do residency, etc.).
There are no rules about keeping you out of residency, or rotations not being "accepted." If your school gives you a degree, it doesn't matter what you have taken (although most residencies would like you to have done maybe 1 rotation in what they are, if not more).
I have called my school, some US med schools and am waiting to hear back from the Bureau of Hospital Services in NY but dont have anything concrete yet. A fellow student from my school said that if you go over 12 weeks you might become inelgible for residency in some states (NY). If anyone has any information or advice on this please drop me aline..thanks.
The fellow student isn't making any sense to me. I did 12 weeks of away rotations. Unless your school says you won't graduate if you do that much, then it shouldn't matter in any states.