Number of DPT program applicants still fairly high?

Started by lmccoy10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lmccoy10

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious, are the number of DPT program applicants as a whole still as high these days?
 
in AZ 700-800 is what admissions is telling me.

but keep in mind that that number can be very deceiving (especially if you're a guy). while that might reflect the number of applicants, several of those "applications" might be thrown out due to being incomplete. keep in mind that for some programs (NAU for example) only about a fourth of the applicants are male and of those as many as 13% (in NAU's case) can be called in for an interview. once called for an interview, your chances of being accepted as a guy are nearly 90%. these are some things to keep in mind.

and even if you aren't male, the intimidating 700-800 applicants is in fact smaller than you think and if you're a highly qualified applicant, you stand an excellent chance of being admitted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nailey posted "once called for an interview, your chances of being accepted as a guy are nearly 90%. these are some things to keep in mind. "

I guess I need a sex change!!!!! 🙂
 
So there are way more female applicants than male these days?

I just did a quick head count for the school im going to (Touro College-Bay Shore) and there were more guys than girls in my class starting in August. Guys:24 Girls: 12 Unknown: 1 (name could be a guy or girl lol)
 
women outnumber men in practicing physical therapists 3:1, and current student enrollment reflects this same number.
 
Our entering class last fall had 78 students...16 were guys.

And I think I heard from a UIC adcom member my cycle year (fall 2010 entrance) that they had 600-700 applications, and I think NU is about the same.

So yeah, it's still pretty freaking competitive. But at the same time, class sizes are increasing. UIC increased their incoming class by at least 10-20 this past year I believe, and NU had 65 I believe the year ahead of me (if Akiramay reads this she can correct me if I'm wrong since she's a year above me), which increased to 78 this year, and I think they're around 85-90 for next year.
 
Nailey posted "once called for an interview, your chances of being accepted as a guy are nearly 90%. these are some things to keep in mind. "

I guess I need a sex change!!!!! 🙂

At TWU, they look at credentials over sex. My starting class has 15/50 guys, so being male is NOT a sure thing. They look at grades, GRE and LOR, before sex. They want people who are going to be successful, not just male.
 
sometimes I wonder if there are so many female applicants to the DPT programs is because of run-off from nursing and other med programs that are typically female dominant jobs.