Number of interviewed applicants it takes to fill a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

username456789

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Table 17 in the document below shows that the "Average Number of Ranked Applicants Needed to Fill Each Position" for Derm last year was 4.1 (and 2.3 in 2008, FWIW). So if I understand it correctly, on average a program with 3 spots each year would end up going down to its 12th (or 13th) ranked applicant in order to fill?

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2011.pdf

I'm just curious about it, and I know it'll obviously vary form program to program (some of the more highly coveted Derm programs/locations surely don't have to dip into the double digits to fill their spots), but I wanted to be sure I was reading the data correctly. Thanks.
 
i agree with your interpretation of the data. as you probably know, most programs interview and rank approx. 10 applicants per position.

it's interesting the average has gone up... it partially reflects that the number of derm applicants has decreased in the past few years, but also implies that programs are interviewing and ranking highly more of the same individuals.