Number of programs to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ixitixl

Step 1 studysaurus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see what people think...

Step 1 - 220/91
Step 2CK - 244/99
Step 2CS - pass
basic science research with pubs.

I have absolutely no geographical preference. With nearly 250K worth of debt, money is of course always an issue. Any suggestions on how many programs to apply to given the subpar Step 1? I'm curious to see how many programs people with similar scores who matched ENT applied for--this info wasn't available from our dean's office.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the research in ENT? If not, you'd better have some strong letters and good grades your clinical years. I'd apply to 40-50 programs. Don't limit yourself early. You need interviews.

Just curious to see what people think...

Step 1 - 220/91
Step 2CK - 244/99
Step 2CS - pass
basic science research with pubs.

I have absolutely no geographical preference. With nearly 250K worth of debt, money is of course always an issue. Any suggestions on how many programs to apply to given the subpar Step 1? I'm curious to see how many programs people with similar scores who matched ENT applied for--this info wasn't available from our dean's office.

Yeah, your step 1 is marginal but you showed good improvement on step 2. If you have good M3 grades, you should still be in decent shape. If not, it's a bit more dicey, though by no means out of reach. I'd focus on 1. getting some sort of ENT research written up (quick chart review study or case report) and 2. getting good LORs from ENT faculty. Talk to your ENT faculty advisor about this, he/she knows you better and should be able to give you better advice than us internet folk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, your step 1 is marginal but you showed good improvement on step 2. If you have good M3 grades, you should still be in decent shape. If not, it's a bit more dicey, though by no means out of reach. I'd focus on 1. getting some sort of ENT research written up (quick chart review study or case report) and 2. getting good LORs from ENT faculty. Talk to your ENT faculty advisor about this, he/she knows you better and should be able to give you better advice than us internet folk.

M3 grades were decent, but not fantastic. Honors in surgery and psychiatry, high-pass in everything else. All 6 pubs were ENT - 2 clinical, 4 basic science. LORs are from well-known faculty and from the little I am allowed to know about the letters (I signed a waiver), they are ones that I should definitely use. I have sought advise from 3 ENT faculty, and have been told 3 completely different things. 1. I can probably get by with 20-30 applications 2. I need to apply broadly...somewhere between 30-50 and 3. I need to apply to all of the programs (96 total) with a very good backup plan. It's hard to tell whose advise to follow because one is the department chair, another is the vice-chair and was department chair at another school and the third is the program director. A 4th opinion I received from non-ENT faculty tells me that ENT is completely unpredictable: people who have failed step 1 manage to match while people with 260+ on step 1 and 2, extensive research, stellar grades and good LORs still find themselves scrambling.

So far, the best advise I've received is from a fellow medical student...go with my "gut" feeling.

Given your below average Step I score and your below average grades, you should be applying to closer to 50 programs. Your letters will help you quite a bit, and the research will be a big plus.

i also received wildly disparate advice about how many programs to apply to, ranging from 15 to "all of the programs in the US". i think the bottom line is that there isn't a "real" answer because you can only know in retrospect whether you applied to enough programs. if i were in your shoes i'd probably apply to around 50-60 programs. the only downside to applying to a lot of programs is the cost. if you are like most med students you are already in debt, and adding a few hundred dollars to that is probably an investment worth making. if you end up getting a ton of interviews you can always turn some down, but if you apply to too few programs up front you don't leave yourself any wiggle room.