number of rec letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

new applicant

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'm planning to apply this year but I have a couple of questions about the applications process. Many of the programs don't specify how many letters of rec they require, and a few don't even have any info at all about who to contact, etc. So what are we supposed to do? Assume that all programs just want 3 unless they say 4? Can we send more than 3? More specifically, does anybody have any info for UCLA, Loma Linda, or Beaumont? Thanks 🙂
 
Hey guys, I'm planning to apply this year but I have a couple of questions about the applications process. Many of the programs don't specify how many letters of rec they require, and a few don't even have any info at all about who to contact, etc. So what are we supposed to do? Assume that all programs just want 3 unless they say 4? Can we send more than 3? More specifically, does anybody have any info for UCLA, Loma Linda, or Beaumont? Thanks 🙂

At least 3 is pretty standard. I sent 4 to everyone. Worst case scenario someone only wanted 3 and didn't read one of them, but my guess is it makes no difference.
 
I agree with yeasterbunny, I don't think there is any harm in submitting 4 letters...I think the only places I submitted 3 to was the few programs who sent out reminders that they had early deadlines (Colorado and UTMB-Galveston come to mind) and that was only bc I didn't have my final rad onc letter yet.