Number of Shadow Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused2626

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am setting up some shadowing hours, and the coordinator has asked me how many hours I would like to shadow.

What would be a good number? 8? 16? more?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this all with the same physician or with separate physicians?

I'd say at least 8-12 with a single physician, or in multiples thereof if you want to shadow different people.

Is this all with the same physician or with separate physicians?

I'd say at least 8-12 with a single physician, or in multiples thereof if you want to shadow different people.

Yes, it'd be the same physican/department (radiology). I also have about 8 hours in the emergency department doing a formal shadow (excluding my volunteer hours)

Is this enough? If I do 12 + 8, thats about 20 hours of formal shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about 10-14 days? ~4 hrs/day. Gives you a fairly good experience.

What you're suggesting is okay as well.

Last edited:
i have a question on this...How do you go about shadowing a physician with the HIPPA laws?? What do you ask them when you want to shadow? Ive had one family physician turn me down due to the privacy laws.

Volunteer at a hospital.
Ask the shadowing coordinator, if there is one.

I would say try to shoot for 40. Maybe 20 hours with a single physician for a long term experience, and then 2-3 other docs for a shorter amount of time.

I would say try to shoot for 40. Maybe 20 hours with a single physician for a long term experience, and then 2-3 other docs for a shorter amount of time.
I think this is a good goal also.

i have a question on this...How do you go about shadowing a physician with the HIPPA laws?? What do you ask them when you want to shadow? Ive had one family physician turn me down due to the privacy laws.

What that physician ment to say was that he and his nurse were too lazy to follow the rules. If the doctor has a student shadowing, when the nurse comes in first to the patient room to ask all those repetitive questions, they have to ask the patient if its ok if a student comes in with the doctor (this how its supposed to happen, but I've shadowed multiple docs where this didnt occur). When you first get to the clinic you'll have to sign a HIPPA form stating you wont chat about all the specifics of the fun stuff you saw.

I'd aim for 50+ hours of shadowing/clinical experience. Most of the sucessful applicants I know have 100+ hours.

50 sounds like a good goal.

Also try to make a good impression...you never know what benefits it might get you. I went into a shadowing job at my local hospital 3 years ago expecting 20 hours or so, but I made a good impression and the coordinator allowed me to go shadow in the ER whenever I was home. Now that 20 has turned into over 500! Might as well ask the coordinator about extra hours...the worst they can do is say no :)

This depends on the specialty. You will definitely have to sign a form saying you wont talk about patients to other people. If you are shadowing a surgeon, they will have to get approval from the patient before you can view an operation.

As for questions to ask, it's important to find out what YOU want to know about being a physician. We are devoting our lives to helping people, so you should find out all you can about it. Ask about their medical school days and their training. If you see some procedure that confuses you or witness a treatment plan that you don't quite understand, ask about them.

btw, number of hours is completely irrelevant. it's what you get out of the experience that matters.

nobody will ever ask you how many hours you've shadowed, and you can shadow 5 hours and learn more than you could in 50 hours if you aren't shadowing the right people at the right place or the right time.

btw, number of hours is completely irrelevant. it's what you get out of the experience that matters.

nobody will ever ask you how many hours you've shadowed, and you can shadow 5 hours and learn more than you could in 50 hours if you aren't shadowing the right people at the right place or the right time.

i agree with you, but for the record, AMCAS will ask how many hours you've shadowed ;)

i agree with you, but for the record, AMCAS will ask how many hours you've shadowed ;)

Actually, no, that isn't a question on the application. If you choose to list shadowing on your application, you'll be asked for the inclusive dates (start date month/year and end date month/year) and the average hours per week during that time period. You will be given the space to provide a short paragraph about the activity.

Basically an adcom wants to know if you know what a doctor does on the job and on what experience you base your response to that question. Shadowing is one way to get that experience but not the only way. It is possible to get admitted with no shadowing listed on the AMCAS.

Exactly what I was about to say! Well, said then!

Actually, no, that isn't a question on the application. If you choose to list shadowing on your application, you'll be asked for the inclusive dates (start date month/year and end date month/year) and the average hours per week during that time period. You will be given the space to provide a short paragraph about the activity.

Basically an adcom wants to know if you know what a doctor does on the job and on what experience you base your response to that question. Shadowing is one way to get that experience but not the only way. It is possible to get admitted with no shadowing listed on the AMCAS.

i know, i was talking about putting it in the work/activities section. (i assumed the OP was going to do this; why else would he post the question he did?) then he will have to put the number of hours, as you said.