number of transcripts, interfolio, and LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSheWrote

Seeking Serenity
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of probably silly questions, but they're driving me crazy, so here goes.

Do I have to send in only one transcript for each college I have attended (in this case, 3), or one transcript for each college I attended for every school I'm applying to (i.e., 3 schools times 10 or so)?

Also, being the non-trad I am, it sounds like Interfolio is the way to go for LORs. Can someone clarify for me that I would direct my recommenders to mail their letters to Interfolio and the company then sends copies wherever they need to go? Is there a way to put your PS and resume, etc on Interfolio so the recommender has that info? (I realize giving those things in person is a better idea, I'm just curious.)

Oh, now that I'm thinking of it, it's possible that I can try to get in touch with my undergrad pre-med committee, but I don't know if it would be worth it. Am I correct in assuming that, if the college accepts it, only the committee letter is needed vs. three or so LORs?

Admittedly, I wish I had an advisor. It's tough doing this alone.

Thanks for your help,
~Cal

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorSheWrote said:
I have a couple of probably silly questions, but they're driving me crazy, so here goes.

Do I have to send in only one transcript for each college I have attended (in this case, 3), or one transcript for each college I attended for every school I'm applying to (i.e., 3 schools times 10 or so)?

You need to send your transcript into AMCAS once. Then you need to fill out the AMCAS application with your grades. Once AMCAS have processed it, they will forward the application to all the med schools you listed. So make sure to get your 3 schools to teach send in your transcript.

DoctorSheWrote said:
Also, being the non-trad I am, it sounds like Interfolio is the way to go for LORs. Can someone clarify for me that I would direct my recommenders to mail their letters to Interfolio and the company then sends copies wherever they need to go? Is there a way to put your PS and resume, etc on Interfolio so the recommender has that info? (I realize giving those things in person is a better idea, I'm just curious.)

Oh, now that I'm thinking of it, it's possible that I can try to get in touch with my undergrad pre-med committee, but I don't know if it would be worth it. Am I correct in assuming that, if the college accepts it, only the committee letter is needed vs. three or so LORs?

Admittedly, I wish I had an advisor. It's tough doing this alone.

Thanks for your help,
~Cal

I feel very strongly about this: USE YOUR UNDERGRAD PREMED COMMITTEE.

I applied to 20+ schools and the process is sooooooo much EASIER when you have a premed committee to write your letters. The reason was because med schools don't have strict stipulations about what type of recommendations you will need to do your LOR if you do the committee letter route. When your applying to 10 or 20 schools, trying to fulfill every single school's LOR requirement for individual LORs is a PAIN and an added burden to an already stressful application!!!!

Otherwise, if your school's being an idiot...use interfolio.

However, take advantage of your school's premed committee if possible. Having a school to back you up in this process is very helpful. I know some people would disagree, but my experience has been that it is a far less taxing process if you have a good premed committee to sort through some of the crap.

One example is the fact that Northwestern almost screwed me over with their insistance that we send in our LORs within a few weeks of receiving their secondaries. Since that wasn't possible for those of us that sent primaries in really, really early since some of us were waiting until August to get our school to sign off on our committee letter, our school's premed committee put in a call to Northwestern and they automatically exempted all students from our school from that strict timetable.

Good luck. :thumbup: