MD Number of Volunteer & Shadowing Hours for Medical School Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waltenba

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping to gather a general consensus on the amount of volunteer hours, shadowing hours or clinical hours you would recommend to get acceptance into medical school.

While I know that these hours are not the only things that medical schools look at (MCAT, GPA, etc.), it has just been something that I have been thinking about this summer.

I recently graduated with a degree in business this past May, but I have decided to try to gain acceptance into medical school after I complete the rest of my science pre-reqs this Fall and Spring semester.

Right now my GPA, without the rest of the sciences, is 3.95, and I plan on taking the MCAT next August. This summer I have been shadowing a neurosurgeon, and volunteering at two local hospitals in the E.R., radiology department and recovery room.

My questions are:

1) What type of volunteer work do medical schools prefer and how many hours?

2) What type of clinical experience do medical schools like to see and how many hours?

3) Any other tips/suggestions I should be doing right now to bolster my application when I do apply? I am trying to get into the best medical school I possibly can, and my dream, although I know its very difficult to get in, would be to attend Johns Hopkins.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions,

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Am I on the right board

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're treating this too much like a checklist. Do some looking around on the MDapps website and some other threads on "What are my chances" to get an idea of what a successful candidate looks like. Don't do things because med schools will like, do them for yourself. Whether the clinical experience is scribing, hospital volunteering, or becoming a medical assistant, etc is up to you. Whether you volunteer at a homeless shelter, an assisted living home for the elderly, or tutor kids is completely up to you and what you prefer to do.

Thank you for moving the thread, I posted under the wrong category.

To your response Carmiche, I am just trying to take in as many people's experiences and opinions as possible. I am not trying to get exact numbers, just a general idea of what it would take to get into a top notch school like Hopkins. I have read many other forums, and haven't gotten clear cut responses. Trust me, I've done plenty of research on this type of stuff, as I am so new to it, switching from a business major.

So far I've learned a lot in just shadowing a neurosurgeon and volunteering the hospital. I didn't know if medical schools preferred different types of volunteering and clincal experience, so I wanted to make sure that I was doing everything I possibly could to make myself competitive. I do not want to have any regrets down the road like "I should have done that," or "I shouldn't have done that."

Again, I appreciate all feedback and comments.

> 100 hrs of clinical volunteering, so you can show us that you know what you're getting into, and that you really want to be around sick people.

> 100 non-clinical volunteering, so you can show off your altruism and humanism.

Shadowing a doctor(s) for > 40 hrs. This so you can show us that you know what a doctor's day is like, and how different doctors approach Medicine.
2) What type of clinical experience do medical schools like to see and how many hours?

Dig up my "guide to the app process" in the pre-Allo forum.
3) Any other tips/suggestions I should be doing right now to bolster my application when I do apply?

> 100 hrs of clinical volunteering, so you can show us that you know what you're getting into, and that you really want to be around sick people.

> 100 non-clinical volunteering, so you can show off your altruism and humanism.

Shadowing a doctor(s) for > 40 hrs. This so you can show us that you know what a doctor's day is like, and how different doctors approach Medicine.

Dig up my "guide to the app process" in the pre-Allo forum.
3) Any other tips/suggestions I should be doing right now to bolster my application when I do apply?
What type of non-clinical volunteering would you recommend?

I have a high regard for Habitat for Humanity, TFA, tutoring or reading to low-income kids, being a Big Brother/Sister, and helping out at local schools. Check with your local houses of worship for opportunities.