Number/Percent of Ophthalmologists By City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baller2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious if there is a source online that describes/details the number of ophthalmologists that a particular city currently has. This would really help with private practice and understanding saturation in each city.

For example, what is the actual number of ophthalmologists in Orlando, Atlanta, Albuquerque, Denver, Nashville, Salt Lake, Portland, Austin? Sure one can google "orlando ophthalmologists" but I don't think it would be very accurate. What is most saturated? Where are places to grow? Are some of these places more saturated in retina vs. comp?

Are these places just as saturated as NYC, SF, LA, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Not entirely accurate but you can look through abo website. Also important to look at optometrists as they will be competing for patients as well.

I think you can’t really consider this question just by looking at the raw numbers of providers. You really need to consider other demographics.

The number of ophthalmologists needed in a young college town like Amherst, MA is going to be less per capita than a retirement community in Florida or Arizona.

Another factor to consider is anticipated population growth over the coming decade or two in a given geographic area. Demographics are critical.