Number ******?

antissa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Toronto, Canada
www.mdapplicants.com
    Hi! I'm a Canadian looking to apply to American schools this year. I read in a thread somewhere that Washington U is a real "number *****", and it made me laugh. What does this mean?
    What are some others schools that are number ****** and will take Canadians? I have a good GPA and MCAT, but I didn't always know I wanted to be a doctor, so I haven't been accumulating a lot of volunteer/shadowing hours thoughout my undergrad, unlike some premeds I know :(

YzIa

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jul 16, 2004
      antissa said:
      Hi! I'm a Canadian looking to apply to American schools this year. I read in a thread somewhere that Washington U is a real "number *****", and it made me laugh. What does this mean?
      What are some others schools that are number ****** and will take Canadians? I have a good GPA and MCAT, but I didn't always know I wanted to be a doctor, so I haven't been accumulating a lot of volunteer/shadowing hours thoughout my undergrad, unlike some premeds I know :(

The highest incoming MCAT scores at US schools are:
      Wash U - 36.?
      Duke - 35.?
      Columbia - 35.?
      U Mich- 34.5

So to think of a school with a reputation for "number whoring" as a benefit you better have a high 30's MCAT and a 3.8+.

About the Ads

antissa

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Aug 9, 2004
      Toronto, Canada
      www.mdapplicants.com
        Oh wow, but some of those are schools I've heard of all the way up here, with my ears packed in snow and all. That must mean they're top notch, and probably recruit people who, in addition to having awesome numbers, also have everything else going for them too. Intimidating...
        I have a 3.9ish GPA and 38 MCAT but a terrible personality. No, I'm jking but it's true that I got started late and I didn't know I was "supposed" to be accumulating volunteer hours because I thought keeping the GPA up was the only really important factor, so I've only done some stuff for fun - playing with kids and seniors, nothing longer than two months or so. I thought maybe there'd be some places that'd forgive my own number whoriness. Or count internet surfing as an extracurricular activity... :laugh:

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Nov 14, 2004
        Down House
          antissa said:
          Oh wow, but some of those are schools I've heard of all the way up here, with my ears packed in snow and all. That must mean they're top notch, and probably recruit people who, in addition to having awesome numbers, also have everything else going for them too. Intimidating...
          I have a 3.9ish GPA and 38 MCAT but a terrible personality. No, I'm jking but it's true that I got started late and I didn't know I was "supposed" to be accumulating volunteer hours because I thought keeping the GPA up was the only really important factor, so I've only done some stuff for fun - playing with kids and seniors, nothing longer than two months or so. I thought maybe there'd be some places that'd forgive my own number whoriness. Or count internet surfing as an extracurricular activity... :laugh:

Volunteer hours don't matter. Just find something you are passionate about and throw yourself into it. Perfunctory participation will not be appreciated.

dr.z

15+ Year Member
          Jul 3, 2004
          Detroit, MI
          1. Fellow [Any Field]
            CanadianPre-Med said:
            What US schools should a Canadian applicant apply to with a 40 MCAT and a 3.85 GPA with decent extra-currics (i.e. few clubs, leadership, couple summers of research)?

Any private schools (Ivy league ones and some others). Some state schools which will take foreign applicants, but I don't see that you would have much problem anywhere.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jun 27, 2004
            1. Medical Student
              antissa said:
              wow looking at your mdapplicant, Canadian schools are tough! You are young too, see the thread on young applicants. That may be your most greatwest problem. Your numbers are great and you do have research and some volunteer/shadowing. Concentrate on doing more of that to show you have the maturity to handle medical situations. Best of luck!

FloridaMadame

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jan 30, 2005
                antissa said:
                Antissa, you are VERY YOUNG. Have you given any thought to taking a full year off, doing extensive (full-time or part-time) research and maybe some hospital volunteer work, shadowing, working in a Dr.'s office, or mentoring on weekends or evenings before you apply again? Actually, you can start doing this stuff now and you will be able to put it all on your AMCAS application this coming summer, and you can state that you are continuing this work throughout the year. I think this might help. Good luck. BTW, all the numbers ***** schools will provide you with an excellent medical education but each of them has their own issue that you can research (ie, location, gunners, possible loss of accreditation, etc.) so don't just concentrate on them. There are MANY great schools out there. :luck: (In honor of St. Patrick's day)

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.