I agree that NPs should stay as NPs, but that's not what they want, they want to be FPs it seems. I'm not arguing against NPs being allowed into FM residencies, I'm arguing against the idea that NPs should be able to practice as FPs WITHOUT an MD residency.
The issue here, and I think you'll agree with me, is that the educational background - regardless of experience and their position in the NP program - of a nurse practitioner is deficient to practice medicine. The amount of training they have in medical management is quite limited. As a non-physician, I do not feel qualified to state that there is a difference in the difficulty of training, but when I look at reasonably objective measures of clinical and scientific knowledge, namely the number of hours of pharmacological training, coursework in physiology and pathophysiology, as well as the pass rates for the USMLE Step 3 versus the DNP "Step 3" that the NBME determined was not equivalent to the test administered to physicians, it it quite apparent that NPs should not have the near-unlimited independent practice rights without a residency, and perhaps even with residency training.
In terms of medical knowledge necessary for the practice of medicine, it seems to me, again, a non-physician, that the amount of said knowledge has increased over time. If nurse practitioners expect to continue to do what is essentially the practice of medicine without medical training or supervision, then they are certainly not providing the highest standard of care possible. Give it some time. Once NPs start performing procedures far beyond the scope of nursing and their training, or, rather, in the grey area where medicine and nursing overlap, attorneys and public interest groups will have a field day.
To address the legal distinctions between nursing and medicine, I'd like to cite Sermchief v. Gonzales, a 1983 case from Missouri, in which the court ruled that the state's nursing practice act protected the nurse practitioners from the charge of practicing medicine without a license since it was covered by the nursing practice act. The court further stated that there is a limited division between nursing and medicine, due to the great degree of overlap. Still, state-by-state distinctions are quite important to NP practice.