Nurse practitioner student need advice from you med schoolers ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NursePractitionerStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
Are there any student nurse practitioners/medical students/physician assistant students out there? I need your advice.
So I am currently about to start my 2nd year of Family Nurse Practitioner School! YAY! Slowly but surely getting there (feels it is going by slow),anyways I need advice from you all.

I am about to start clinical and I feel I don't have enough educational experience in regards to diagnosing…….All you med students don't judge me hehe
Therefore, my question is what can I do to prepare BEFORE clinical and DURING clinical. I know there will be moments where I don't understand but I am at the point in my life where I want to get up and keep going and not be immersed in negative thinking! Are there any tips from you all who are in school ? When you see a patient yourself and perform an physical exam, how do you make your plan and recommendations? What is important? How do you as a student come off as truly wanting to understand and absorb knowledge?
What is a book or guide that I can carry and refer to in clinicals? I have the summer to study so I want to !

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry, you have a whole year to prepare you for practice.

One whole year.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello All,
Are there any student nurse practitioners/medical students/physician assistant students out there? I need your advice.
So I am currently about to start my 2nd year of Family Nurse Practitioner School! YAY! Slowly but surely getting there (feels it is going by slow),anyways I need advice from you all.

I am about to start clinical and I feel I don't have enough educational experience in regards to diagnosing…….All you med students don't judge me hehe
Therefore, my question is what can I do to prepare BEFORE clinical and DURING clinical. I know there will be moments where I don't understand but I am at the point in my life where I want to get up and keep going and not be immersed in negative thinking! Are there any tips from you all who are in school ? When you see a patient yourself and perform an physical exam, how do you make your plan and recommendations? What is important? How do you as a student come off as truly wanting to understand and absorb knowledge?
What is a book or guide that I can carry and refer to in clinicals? I have the summer to study so I want to !

Thank you in advance

I'd start with first aid for step one. After that try and power thru first aid for step two. Also the uworld question bank.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many specialties (all?) have guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of their "bread and butter" conditions (I'm most familiar with peds so stuff like sinusitis, strep, ADHD, etc). I think many of them are googleable. While this can be a little formulaic I have also found it helpful for making some basic diagnoses and also sounding smart to attendings ("I think Patient X has bacterial sinusitis because they meet the criteria of A, B, and C"). The bread and butter stuff might be more relevant to NPs too.

I think a lot of it comes with experience though, you will get better as the year goes on.

I just do my thing and then watch to see what my seniors do. I also try to read on my patients on the chart and their conditions