Nurse to MD..help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bouncing siomai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am so happy to come across this forum, because i get to see that i am not alone with my dreams and hopes to become a doctor.

i am 21 years old, a fresh graduate of nursing in the Philippines and is currently waiting to take my NCLEX here in california, i am scheduled to take it around jan. or feb.
i really want to pursue med school but i have no idea how, like what classes to take before qualifying, what schools are good here, and how much debt will i have in pursuing my dreams...

i am planning to try out being a nurse first and see how much i will like it, or just save enough money to pay for my med school dreams ( can i earn that much to pay?) and also, some people say that why would i go all through the trouble of studying again if i can have a good paying job as a nurse...

and how old are people usually when they enter med school here in the US? are US schools accepting foreign graduates of pre-med courses like me?

any information you could share with me will be very much appreciated, since i really have no clue how to start.... and any opinion too. thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it, do let no one stop your dream , your lucky because you young and your a nurse already.

i am planning to try out being a nurse first and see how much i will like it, or just save enough money to pay for my med school dreams ( can i earn that much to pay?) and also, some people say that why would i go all through the trouble of studying again if i can have a good paying job as a nurse...

well, i bet i'm not the only one here...

i am thinking the same way... that's why i shift from psychology to nursing.. and i plan to save money too for my med school..

but i'm still a 2nd year college student.. i still got a long way to go.. well, goodluck:)

buy the MSAR. It will answer all of your questions. You can find it on amazon (or directly from the aamc).

One challenge for non-citizens is the financial aid issue. Some (all?) schools require money up front, and non-citizens are generally not eligible for loans. That makes going to a private school that will cost 250K rather difficult.