Nurse to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You did your prereqs at a community college? I thought med schools don't allow that.

From what I understand, and for the nontraditional student as well, they're okay. I suppose for the student that goes from high school to college and then applies to medical school, that may not be the best route. However, that route is not one that many can follow (life circumstances, etc).

Personally, I feel that the GPA and exposure to patient care outweighs where one takes the course.

Members don't see this ad.

ED nurse with BSN with three years experience starting medical school this summer. The experience was amazing and challenging. I also did a DIY post-bacc for the basic courses (bio, chem, o chem, and physics) part time over two years. Decent GPA, okay MCAT. Accepted allopathic and osteopathic.

Curious, did you ever think about flight nursing? The autonomy is quite similar to that of the physician.

Curious, did you ever think about flight nursing? The autonomy is quite similar to that of the physician.

That was actually my back up plan. It does offer a lot of autonomy but I don't know if making it a long term career would have been best for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was actually my back up plan. It does offer a lot of autonomy but I don't know if making it a long term career would have been best for me.

Makes sense. Happy "future" studying!

I am glad I found this thread! Thanks ResQRN144! I am an adult NP since 2004 and RN since 1999 so there are way too many areas to mention. I have done just about everything. I also did a DIY post bacc for the basic courses part time over about 3 yrs. Great MSN GPA, ok overall GPA, not so great MCAT score but I will be attending medical school this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
To all the RNs out there that want to go to medical school- ask yourself why you want it and DO IT!!!

Last edited: