This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runsdeep

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all first time poster, long time lurker. I'm currently a LPN in the SouthEast I honestly do not know where to get started on this long road ahead of me. I will have all my prerequisites completed to gain entry to LPN to ADN program this summer. I basically do not have any of the science prerequisites for MS. Is it just best for me to complete my BSN with my pre-med courses on the side or will it be smarter to just change my major and power through? My cumulative gpa 2.5.

Members don't see this ad.

So I definitely understand your struggle. I was an LPN and did a bridge ADN program then went to get by BSN. What I would advice you is to look at your science gpa. You will still have more classes to take as far as pre reqs for pre med goes but the most important thing is for you to figure out how you would like to proceed. There is no cookie cutter path. The road is long wether you do ADN to BSN then post bac prerequisites or do ADN and transfer to do a different major that encompasses all you premed prerequisites. The choice is up to you but no matter what you do choose a path and continue with it. Don't try to dibble and dabble your premed stuff along with nursing classes. Your overall gpa and science gpa does matter for premed so make sure that you can find a plan that can help strengthen that as well. Goodluck!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
So I definitely understand your struggle. I was an LPN and did a bridge ADN program then went to get by BSN. What I would advice you is to look at your science gpa. You will still have more classes to take as far as pre reqs for pre med goes but the most important thing is for you to figure out how you would like to proceed. There is no cookie cutter path. The road is long wether you do ADN to BSN then post bac prerequisites or do ADN and transfer to do a different major that encompasses all you premed prerequisites. The choice is up to you but no matter what you do choose a path and continue with it. Don't try to dibble and dabble your premed stuff along with nursing classes. Your overall gpa and science gpa does matter for premed so make sure that you can find a plan that can help strengthen that as well. Goodluck!!!!!

Thanks I have been on the fence for awhile. I guess I've been holding myself back with self doubts. The good news is that I'm still somewhat young lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow LPN here too!! :) been one for 7 years. I realized nursing wasn't for me after getting my LPN and decided against the RN bridge program and just graduated recently with my BS in Biology. If I were to do it again, I would've went for my BSN and took the necessary pre-req for the sole fact that I could be making more money as an RN than with a BS in biology, while studying for the mcat etc. Good luck, you got this!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Fellow LPN here too!! :) been one for 7 years. I realized nursing wasn't for me after getting my LPN and decided against the RN bridge program and just graduated recently with my BS in Biology. If I were to do it again, I would've went for my BSN and took the necessary pre-req for the sole fact that I could be making more money as an RN than with a BS in biology, while studying for the mcat etc. Good luck, you got this!!!

If I choose not to go the bridge route it will take me about 2 years to complete my bachelors degree with the prerequisites. I'm still in the fence would it be worth it to get my RN first or not

If I choose not to go the bridge route it will take me about 2 years to complete my bachelors degree with the prerequisites. I'm still in the fence would it be worth it to get my RN first or not

The only benefit to get your RN first is that if life happens, you have a good degree to fall back on. Other than that, it's extra headache trying to fit in pre-med classes and having to explain to the nursing dean why you want to swap out your gen chem / bio classes for science major courses. Plus, it's hard to take those class and lab depending on clinical schedule.

Another thing you can consider is that if med school doesn't work out, with a random BS or BA degree you can do an accelerated BSN program in 1.5 years etc.

Reactions: 2 users
If you get your bachelors and do all the prerequisites for medical school and then for whatever reason you don't end up matriculating into medical school, isn't there an accelerated nursing program you could do at that point?

Oh wait sorry, just realized the comment above mine stated the exact same thing. My bad.

I'm curious how med schools would view clinical experiences of LPNs vs RNs