Nurses in Med. school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please, I would like to find out if it is possible for a nurse to work a few hours while in med. school or during the summers. Anyone knows if nurses have any advantage based on experience in med. school?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a girl I know in the class above me who is a nurse. I think it is definately possible to work summer shifts between 1st and 2nd years but I'm not sure how realistic it would be to do it during. Most people do not have time to work a job during med school but that depends on the school and the individual.

As to being a nurse being useful I would definately say it would be beneficial. Anything that has given clinical experience is useful. I have a friend who is a PA and she is the one everyone goes to for advice on clinical stuff. She is pretty ahead of the rest of the class when it comes to anything like that.

There is a nurse in our class who works at the Charity ER on the weekend. He seems to have no problem with it. Of course, i think he's only working about 16 hrs a week. More than that would be tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
bess said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please, I would like to find out if it is possible for a nurse to work a few hours while in med. school or during the summers. Anyone knows if nurses have any advantage based on experience in med. school?

Well of course you can. But it will also depend on some other factors.

1. How well organized you are
2. How intelligent and efficent at studying you are
3. You can't work more than tops 4 shifts per month, but realistically can do 1-2 per month
4. Depends on how good grades you want. If you want top grades, you typically would want to study more, which would make work much tougher.
5. It would be pretty eazy to work during christmas vacation, or spring break.

So bottom line its possible.

bess said:

What do you think this is....ER??

One of my friends (we are 1st years) still works on a contingent basis in a telemetry unit. She can study as she sits there with all the moniters. I guess it just depends on what kind of work you're doing, and how flexible the schedule is.

One of my classmates works at least once a month on a PRN basis.

i'm an MS4/ICU RN who has worked during med school...mostly on weekends/breaks during 1st/2nd year and some this year (helps pay for the interview trail). It can be done, but i agree with others who say focus on your academics and don't depend on this income (take out plenty of loans). I used my summers to pursue other interests (research, studying for step I, etc). There may be a small edge to an experienced RN early in the clinical years, but there are MANY very smart people in med school, so it all kind of levels out in the end. Good luck.

Home health care agencies usually have a tough time filling weekend shifts. If you can find a good one, all you do is sit there all day and maybe work and hour or two. My wife does 36hrs/week (fri, sat, sun) and is bored to tears.

Thank you all for the replies.