Nurses in Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My fiancee is in nursing school. She will be a nurse when I start. I honestly hope that pharmacy school isn't a whole lot harder that what I've seen her do. I also hope she can help me study.

In the note of the other subject on this thread, we should all be nice to the nurses. We all have the same goal (patient care), and I bet it works best when we work together.

As the final check before the patient, nurses have the greatest opportunity to save the inpatient pharmacist's tail.

Hopefully she'll be good for studying A/P and micro, but I'm not sure how much help she'd be at PK or some of the later courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Nurses are great! But from my experience I have noticed a huge difference between the BSNs and the ADNs. I just don't understand why they are paid the same...

Members don't see this ad :)
Became a nurse through a military school and later obtained my nursing degree through college (obtained a nursing license before college education) and in my final rotation - I involve both bodies of knowledge in the delivery of patient care. Nurses' focus is more as a patient advocate and direct caregiver. My knowledge from pharmacy school is advanced in how medications affect/benefit patients from a physiologic and economic standpoint, but from a therapeutic aspect - my nursing knowledge has been as beneficial as the pharmacy education.
I have been exposed to "nurse bashing" while attending pharmacy school and would suggest that pharmacy students (& pharmacists) explore the possibility that they may benefit from the nurses' perspective, but at the same time I also have knowledge of "know-it-all" nurses. Understand that all professions have "bad apples" and make informed opinions with your individual interactions.
I chose to pursue a pharmacy degree through my interaction with a patient care team member that happened to be a pharmacist - I admired his contribution to patient care and decided to continue my education in a similar direction.

wow!!,
all this vitriol towards the most numerous members of the healthcare team. As a current nurse 5 years+ who has just being accepted to a pharmacy school, I feel l I can weigh in on this discussion. The truth of the matter is that there are good nurses and there are bad nurses just as there a good pharmacists and there are bad pharmacists. For hospital pharmacists and doctors, the nurse is the buffer between them and their mistakes. Unfortunately for the nurse, as the hands-on member of the team, there is nobody btw the nurse and the patient.
good and honest pharmacists will tell you how much they appreciate their nurses and the doctors will tell you the same. Respect begets respect, if pharmacists treat nurses with respect they will get the same, however, a good number of pharmacists adopt a slightly condescending tone when addressing nurses and exaggerate gaps in nurses' knowledge.
You will be surprised how much nurses have to know a little of everything and it comes into play everyday. They are out in the fore, dealing with patients and addressing problems that may arise. Please lets bury this nurse-pharmacist hatchet, it belittles both parties and is a disservice to the larger goal of optimum patient care.

peace and out!!

It's hard to draw apples to apples, since you know, we don't deal with patients as caregivers, and they don't see thousands of medications and dosing regiments. Hell, I think nursing is much more stressful depending on where you are, like a med/surg RN vs hospital pharmacist, as opposed to a cushy MD's office taking BP vs an RPh at CVS doing hundreds of scripts with 2 techs...not to mention this is all subjective. As far as school goes, I think getting graded on putting in a catheter is a lot harder/stressful than making suppositories that don't melt in lab.

A lot of basic science in my school's BSN program are crap ("orgo", micro, general healthcare based classes), but the most relevant ones like A&P were great. Besides, any decent PharmD program will make you retake everything or bring you up to speed on stuff fast...

Nurses are great! But from my experience I have noticed a huge difference between the BSNs and the ADNs. I just don't understand why they are paid the same...

For a staff nurse, sure, but I would think a BSN has a faster track towards critical care/nurse manager/adminstrator positions, whereas RNs compensate by seniority/experience. But enough about nursing talk...this a pharmacy forum...