Nurses working in Heath Behavior/Preventative Health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rennur505

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated 6 months ago with a BS in Exercise Science and I would like to work in something that has to do with health behavior, health promotion, preventative health, etc. I am seriously considering going back to school for an accelerated BSN, as I think that it will give me more opportunities to work in this field. My question is: what types of jobs are out there for nurses working in these fields, and I if anyone has any personal experience I would really appreciate some input. Also- I am curious about other types of jobs that nurses can have outside of inpatient hospital work. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated 6 months ago with a BS in Exercise Science and I would like to work in something that has to do with health behavior, health promotion, preventative health, etc. I am seriously considering going back to school for an accelerated BSN, as I think that it will give me more opportunities to work in this field. My question is: what types of jobs are out there for nurses working in these fields, and I if anyone has any personal experience I would really appreciate some input. Also- I am curious about other types of jobs that nurses can have outside of inpatient hospital work. thanks!

Many public health departments have plenty of job openings for BSN prepared nurses where you would find some opportunities for doing what you describe. In my area, they are practically begging new grad BSN's to work for them.

I agree with all that was said. One of the good things about being a nurse is that there are a lot of different types of work you can do. Hospital (ICU to surgery), nursing home, clinic, health department, home health, hospice, school, I think they have some legal nurse consultant stuff too, and you can also do management with very little to no actual nursing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many public health departments have plenty of job openings for BSN prepared nurses where you would find some opportunities for doing what you describe. In my area, they are practically begging new grad BSN's to work for them.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have an idea of what type of salary they are offering for these positions? Also, would you mind telling me what general area you live in, since you said there are quite a few of these jobs where you live.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have an idea of what type of salary they are offering for these positions? Also, would you mind telling me what general area you live in, since you said there are quite a few of these jobs where you live.

I would contact your local nursing schools and/or local health departments. Salaries vary widely from region to region, as does demand.