Nursing Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riverdance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do grades from Nursing Assistant training courses count toward my GPA? And is anyone a CNA? How do you like it?
Thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

All classes taken at a college or university are counted in your GPA. I was an Immediate Treatment Assistant (NA who can draw blood and do EKGs) and I am now a Medical Assistant. Why on Earth are you in a CNA program??

All classes taken at a college or university are counted in your GPA. I was an Immediate Treatment Assistant (NA who can draw blood and do EKGs) and I am now a Medical Assistant. Why on Earth are you in a CNA program??

I don't know, it seems like a good experience and training is very minimal. Why? Do you think there is something wrong with being a CNA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a CNA and it was a great experience. Many pre-meds go through CNA programs and get their clinical experience this way.

I was a CNA and it was a great experience. Many pre-meds go through CNA programs and get their clinical experience this way.
]

...to the great monetary benefit of the CNA programs.

A CNA program is sometimes necessary for someone with NO education to get a job as an NA. I know many many people who have gotten jobs as NAs while in nursing school or in college as pre-meds. You do NOT need a CNA cert.

Reactions: 1 user
Illegallysmooth, I read that other thread and it seems like you got to where you are without a formal program because you worked your way up or around. I don't have any healthcare experience and I highly doubt anyone will land a position just because they are pre-med. Nursing students actually learn how to care for people, pre-meds just take science classes. Anyway, thanks for your responses. That thread was pretty interesting.

My question for anyone who has done a CNA program, is it remotely rigorous?

Nah, the CNA program I took was really, really easy. If you made it through elementary school without being held back (and maybe even if you did), then you won't have a problem.

Nah, the CNA program I took was really, really easy. If you made it through elementary school without being held back (and maybe even if you did), then you won't have a problem.

Hahaha thanks, maybe I will take it during the school year.

Illegallysmooth, I read that other thread and it seems like you got to where you are without a formal program because you worked your way up or around. I don't have any healthcare experience and I highly doubt anyone will land a position just because they are pre-med. Nursing students actually learn how to care for people, pre-meds just take science classes. Anyway, thanks for your responses. That thread was pretty interesting.

My question for anyone who has done a CNA program, is it remotely rigorous?

I don't know a single NA in my hospital who has a CNA. Some of them have GEDs and nothing more. The others are all in nursing school (but don't know anything yet) or pre-meds. We're not talking about rocket science here.

But hey, take the class if you can't find a job without it in your location. I just think you should look into it more. I was told by my hiring manager than I was hired as an ITA because I was pre-med, and the other person she was considering was in nursing school and had been working there as an NA for a year. But she choose me.

I don't know a single NA in my hospital who has a CNA.

I got a job, with no hospital/medical experience, as a Nursing Assistant. I work alongside people who actually got their certifications and we do the exact same thing...only I got paid on the job training and they had to shell cash out to some school.

I don't know a single NA in my hospital who has a CNA. Some of them have GEDs and nothing more. The others are all in nursing school (but don't know anything yet) or pre-meds. We're not talking about rocket science here.

But hey, take the class if you can't find a job without it in your location. I just think you should look into it more. I was told by my hiring manager than I was hired as an ITA because I was pre-med, and the other person she was considering was in nursing school and had been working there as an NA for a year. But she choose me.

Yeah, I've read more about nursing assistants and it definitely doesn't seem like rocket science. But I've really tried looking for jobs, just can't find any. Maybe Arizona is just different.

I work in a hospital as a CNA and, at my institution, a liscence is required with the only exception being first year nursing students who have completed the first semester of nursing school. I think that its an excellent way to work in a clinical setting.

Obtaining a CNA liscence was a walk through the park and kind of annoying. I'm not sure I learned anything, but it was a necessary step because the hospital would not even look at my application until I had my liscence. It was a little time consuming (it required 80 hours during an already busy semester the number of hours may differ by state) Also, my CNA course was for credit but pass/fail. It shows up on my transcript, but does not affect my GPA. It may be different at other schools.

I would recommend it, but only a certain type of people could do this job. There are many unpleasant tasks required of a CNA.