Nursing for Associate degree and then bachelors.

Jul 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi. I am high school senior now, and I am trying to decide my next education career here. I would like to be a medical missionary, and in order to be a medical missionary, I would like to go to med school and be a doctor.

And my plan is like this; I will go to nursing school and graduate from there in two years (this is possible if I push myself really hard since I have some quite a few of college credits from high school dual credit program.) and then go to college while I am working as a nurse. So... basically it takes five to six years before I get into med school.. The reason I would like to do this is because I can get into mission field earlier if I be a nurse and go to college(i can have mission trip during summer.) Plus, as a pre med, being a nurse for four years before go to med school will help me out a lot.
Also, extra time to study mcat.

What do you guys think about this?

Paseo Del Norte

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2009
Land of Sand
Status
Non-Student
If your goal is medical school, forget nursing school IMHO. Get straight into a solid pre-med programme be it chemistry or biology. Concentrate on grades and the MCAT. While nursing may be tempting as a stepping stone or a foot in the door, nursing and medicine are totally separate fields and I think you would be better off hitting med school as soon as possible.

This is IMHO as a nurse.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi. I am high school senior now, and I am trying to decide my next education career here. I would like to be a medical missionary, and in order to be a medical missionary, I would like to go to med school and be a doctor.

And my plan is like this; I will go to nursing school and graduate from there in two years (this is possible if I push myself really hard since I have some quite a few of college credits from high school dual credit program.) and then go to college while I am working as a nurse. So... basically it takes five to six years before I get into med school.. The reason I would like to do this is because I can get into mission field earlier if I be a nurse and go to college(i can have mission trip during summer.) Plus, as a pre med, being a nurse for four years before go to med school will help me out a lot.
Also, extra time to study mcat.

What do you guys think about this?
Is there is a really strong reason why you need to work as a nurse while in college? Also, how much were you thinking to work? If you need to support yourself as a nurse while going to college, you might find it difficult to build up the grades and resume needed to get into medical school.