Nursing home moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GamerTheRock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently a PGY3 resident in pm&r. I was looking to moonlight at a nursing home. I do have my medical lisence. They are offering 40 per note & will cover malpractice. Any thoughts? I'm not sure what's a normal value.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

that's not bad. I would consider it. Almost impossible to do it solo as a PGY3 unless with a group. Most large groups don't even offer moonlighting.

Reactions: 1 user
It is with a group. Is that normal price for per note? Anything I should watch out for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what's normal because this is not something that is done often. Lots to watch out for. Make sure you get trained on how to document and bill appropriately and they are not making you bill the highest levels.

Reactions: 1 users
They are taking at least half your pay. But you’re also a resident and they are covering malpractice. I am not doing SNF so I don’t know exact amounts on collections and am just guessing. If you see 4 patients an hour then you are making 160 an hour which is pretty good. Could easily see more if you are really good.

You can always try negotiating to get more. Is that what your asking? 45, 50, 60 per note? I doubt they are going to give you much more, but you can always ask. Could ask for 100% after first 10 patients. But again your not going to have a ton of negotiating power. Also don’t know how much time you are planning on doing per day/week.

Also make sure you won’t owe anything later on a tail depending on the malpractice set up. If you do then may not be worth it. Again I don’t do SNF, but my tail after 2 years is about 14-16 K. If it works differently as a resident, I don’t know.

Reactions: 1 user
How much medical management are you expected to provide?