Another moonlighting thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Norzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

R2 here. Looking at moonlighting next year given my crushing debt. A quick search found SSA disability evals from AMCE Physicians Group or doing "Health Risk Assessments for Medicare Advantage members", which appear to be open to multiple specialties.

Anyone able to share their experience or knowledge on these things? Pros? Cons? Tips? Other things I haven't thought of? Other ways to moonlight as a resident next year?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

R2 here. Looking at moonlighting next year given my crushing debt. A quick search found SSA disability evals from AMCE Physicians Group or doing "Health Risk Assessments for Medicare Advantage members", which appear to be open to multiple specialties.

Anyone able to share their experience or knowledge on these things? Pros? Cons? Tips? Other things I haven't thought of? Other ways to moonlight as a resident next year?

Thanks in advance!

You need to check with your PD and program first, see what their rules entail (ACGME is strict on moonlighitng and duty hours) and if they have any internal opportunities which would be easiest to navigate (malpractice coverage)

To be honest, unless you absolutely need the money and are living paycheck to paycheck its probably not worth it. The amount of money you will make is literally a drop in the bucket and will not even cover a significant portion of the interest. (I've heard of some programs that may be exceptions where you can make a significant amount but these are rare if they even exist anymore) Once you start making an attending salary you will probably look back and realize this. It's probably best to spend the extra time and learn learn your craft and/or enjoy the free time.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, unless you absolutely need the money and are living paycheck to paycheck its probably not worth it. The amount of money you will make is literally a drop in the bucket and will not even cover a significant portion of the interest. (I've heard of some programs that may be exceptions where you can make a significant amount but these are rare if they even exist anymore) Once you start making an attending salary you will probably look back and realize this. It's probably best to spend the extra time and learn learn your craft and/or enjoy the free time.

I’ll second this. There is a crap ton of liability being an independent physician. I did urgent care with a few years of being a primary care physician under my belt, and it was still nerve racking. I was pumping through about 30-40 cases a day, and I’d send a few patients to the ED per shift. Simply put...people with internship training to fall back on have no business working in that type of environment. Not only does the average PM&R physician (especially resident for that matter) know dick about that type of medicine, but the flow can be overwhelming. If I was a PD I wouldn’t allow it, or at minimum strongly discourage it. You’d really have to be in the absolutely ideal set-up to make it work without tremendous liability, including low acuity, good clinic set-up, support from board certified physicians if needed, and a slower pace. Also...absolutely no Peds. Don’t want some random internship trained PM&R resident killing my kid.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

lots of people want to moonlight however not infrequently there is little time in residency particularly initially. doing disability evals can be soul crushing, some places allow you to do what you state above however a number of them require you to go to patient's homes - i would not do that. you also need a full license, your own malpractice. internal moonlighting is best. i would suggest income based repayment for now and going from there. what's your debt if i can ask/

I moonlighted as a PGY 4. It was overall a good experience. I worked doing night/weekend coverage, first at a local drug rehab then at an unaffiliated IRF. The drug rehab was actually interesting and exposed me to some different meds and concepts that I still use now and then. The IRF was like call but less busy. Money was good and allowed me to save for my fellowship year. I had a daughter that year because I knew I'd have more financial flexibility. Also since the bulk of my hours we just coverage, I did a fair amount of board studying.

You need the right situation. Everything said above is correct about PD permission and insurance (provided by the hospitals in my case). Additionally, you need tail coverage and sometimes a DEA. All together the licenses might cost $750-$1000 to get started but you'll probably make that in one 12hr shift. Technically all the hours you work must fit into your duty hour restrictions for residency. That means that really you should only work Friday to Sunday but this seems to be overlooked many places. Most residencies you do little or no call as a 4 so moonlighting can fill that void.

To each his own.