nursing or PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitethunder10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been researching...

And I know:
1. You shouldn't pursue a degree you aren't sure about
2. PT and nursing are different jobs
3. try to be passionate about it

So I think in gerenal I might like the PT aspect more than the nursing aspect. But I'm looking at the numbers.

It looks like nurses make as much as PT's, and school is easier to get into and cost mush less.

I try to imagine myself in each job. But really it is hard. I mean even if I become a doctor, that might suck and then I'm stuck as a doctor cause nothing else will pay off my loans.

So I was thinking... Do the nursing program. See if I like it. Since PT has now become a big pain in the ass to get a degree in maybe nursing would be a smarter move based on finances. I mean, it looks like I could pay of school in one year if I really wanted too. Then maybe I could go back and become a PT if I learned more or talked to more PT's or the payoff became worth it...

What do you all think? The thing I'm sure about is that working in a field where they don;t absolutely have to have you sucks. You are under appreciated and you have no control and there is no reason for the higher ups to be nice to you...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Welp, I wrote several posts about this issue. Nursing is the most flexible job you can get and now with a huge shortage hospitals, clinics, nursing homes are begging for nurses. I found sooo many scholarship sites and committment places for 2-4 years of your life and get your expenses paid. You have to weigh in the good and bad.

Plus I had a much easier time getting accepted into a nursing program than PT.

If I would of known this back when I was 18 years old, I would of just changed my major and worked in the field. Now at 25 almost at 26, Im living like a bum~lol.

I really dont care for how much I earn. Im happy with 60k. Just as long as I can work when and where I like. Plus, Im more of a night vulture who stays up all night. I love sleeping when everyone is at work =).

You can avoid most rude doctors and admins working night shift.

Plus nursing is one of the faster degrees out of PT, MD, Dentist,Pharmacy etc. After your BSN, try nurse practitioner or nurse anesthtist. They make great cash but more responsibility. If you dont like one setting then change to another.

If you do nursing and the career doesnt work out then try PA or PT =].

My suggestion is to go to allnurses.com.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not a PT. I got accepted to two DPT programs but there is no way Im paying 800.00 per credit hour for a private school..Do the math LOL.. }+Room and Board, books, food, car etc extra ----EEEEEEEEK. If I had a school accept me under about 60k then yea I would go do it but shi* that is a lot of freaking money in loans and paying that back I might as well bend my head into my A##.

Im enjoying my summer now and waiting until I start my accelerated program in the fall. The program I am in is about 40k out of state for EVERYTHING. It has 40 years experiance in traditional nursing and 15 yrs experiance in accelerated nursing. You got to watch out b/c there are tons of new accel programs everywhere who have screwed up admins and education sux. Currently I am applying for scholarship and committment hospitals to see which will pay then I will work for them.

This reminds me of a story couple months ago when I was getting interviewed at a school in Henderson Nevada. I met a Physical Therapist who was going back to school to be a nurse then become nurse practitioner.

I really need to send some of these posts to some of my faculty friends. I never considered how DPT programs and their costs might influence the decision to enter the profession.

I earned my MPT at a reasonable cost and feel good about it. I could certainly understand how paying $60K for a DPT might put folks off a bit, particularly when comparing these programs to PA or nursing. Put in this light PT may have some real issues they may not even be considering right now.

I guess we'll need to see how this plays out.

I really need to send some of these posts to some of my faculty friends. I never considered how DPT programs and their costs might influence the decision to enter the profession.

I earned my MPT at a reasonable cost and feel good about it. I could certainly understand how paying $60K for a DPT might put folks off a bit, particularly when comparing these programs to PA or nursing. Put in this light PT may have some real issues they may not even be considering right now.

I guess we'll need to see how this plays out.

I respect the field of physical therapy. For the past 3 years, I exposed myself to this field and learned so much, but paying to become one can be rediculous. Yea I should of gotten better grades or a better GRE score, but I at least tried my hardest. My grades were not that bad. I wrote about it to give people information b/c no one wrote their experiances in trying to get into the school. Plus I have some friends who are applying next year and they can come to this site. Especially you brian :laugh:.

My professors and physical therapists who wrote letters of recommendations are pissed at me in a way that I put all this effort into trying to get accepted in the school (which I was) and then saying no to the school. I didnt even tell my parents about this issue b/c I didnt want to see their reactions. They knew that I wanted to do this but I had to make a difficult choice in life. Pay that much money and enjoy working the field along with the debt or find another opportunity.

Would I go into physical therapy school if it was less than 60k~YES but over 100k is like comparing to medical school. Yet, medical doctors can pay that off. I would be a grandfather and still paying the school off with my social security check.

I respect the field of physical therapy. For the past 3 years, I exposed myself to this field and learned so much, but paying to become one can be rediculous. Yea I should of gotten better grades or a better GRE score, but I at least tried my hardest. My grades were not that bad. I wrote about it to give people information b/c no one wrote their experiances in trying to get into the school. Plus I have some friends who are applying next year and they can come to this site. Especially you brian :laugh:.

My professors and physical therapists who wrote letters of recommendations are pissed at me in a way that I put all this effort into trying to get accepted in the school (which I was) and then saying no to the school. I didnt even tell my parents about this issue b/c I didnt want to see their reactions. They knew that I wanted to do this but I had to make a difficult choice in life. Pay that much money and enjoy working the field along with the debt or find another opportunity.

Would I go into physical therapy school if it was less than 60k~YES but over 100k is like comparing to medical school. Yet, medical doctors can pay that off. I would be a grandfather and still paying the school off with my social security check.

What about going to a Public University and getting a Masters instead.. wouldnt that cost much less. I was able to get my PT education for less then 20k.

I applied to numerous (public/private) programs but got rejected. Ironically the two programs that accepted me didnt even interview me LOL. It may be me but like the saying goes one door closes another one opens. Maybe I wasn't intended to do PT or life gave me a better option.

RIP Chris Benoit