nursing school as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alizarin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I went through one year of nursing school, and I'm looking for a way to mention my clinical experience on my amcas app (one semester at nursing home, one on med-surg floor). Do I list it as an EC under "other"? Even though it is curricular? Not a paid job, not volunteer work, but definitely clinical and definitely relevant. Hmmm...Also this was several years ago and I have no idea about the hours. I could call the Nursing Dept and ask what the hours for those rotations were, or just leave it as "semesters".

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'd list it under extracurricular activities, and definitely mention what specifically you did (direct patient care, etc.).

I would first like to say I am long winded tonight and sorry for the long post....

I would definitely tell them about the clinical experience that you were exposed to as a nursing student and maybe even talk about some of the things you witnessed (leaving out the gross stuff unless asked, lol).

My clinical experience just for paramedic training was intense with its ups and downs, just like being a nurse or a physician you can go from working a cardiac arrest on a child, to helping grandma, to taking care of the regular type of drug seeking or drunk patient. The only thing different between the titles are the education, training, and job description.

I have been told that they look at any hands on real clinical experience as a plus because hopefully you know what you are getting yourself into, and they really WANT you to have a good grasp of this understanding.

I have talked with a lot of people and many of them feel that they wish they had a better grasp of what taking care of the sick was like.... some felt that if they had known they might have gone a different career route.

Plus it may be the difference that sets you apart from other applicant. Think about this, you never know but this is a possible scenario: you and another applicant have the same awesome MCAT scores, GPA, interview, and overall application but you have real clinical experience and the other does not..... many people have told me that they feel it helped them get in but there are never any guarantees.

The only thing I would suggest is to be prepared to explain to them why you dropped your nursing program (ex. wanted more in depth learning, love for science, ect...)

Hope this was helpful and good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say you can take it one step further. What you classify your clinicals as isn't AS important as what you tell them. As a nursing student myself, I can tell you that it would probably be more important to mention how you connect nursing to medicine. I don't know if your clinical was in a teaching hospital where they do rounds with residents, but where I work, the residents look at the big picture and describe to the attending not only the physical/clinical exam, but also what labs showed, where we are in terms of the progress toward discharge, what medications are we changing. A good nurse is able to anticipate all those things, maybe not everything, but many things. You could mention that you could have suggested a and b if they weren't mentioned in rounds. That you helped the physician collaboratively to do such a such. Such thinking shows that you can think beyond the nursing task-oriented model and that you are more mature than an average nurse who looks at the orders without questioning them and does what she is told.

I would also keep in mind that you never know what kinds of experiences the person interviewing you has had. My mom's chairman was a former nurse and she would always ask about the physician's experiences with nursing, sneakingly asking if they liked/disliked working with nurses on purpose to test for that collaborative streak. I'm pretty sure if you were interviewing with her, she would know exactly what your clinical rotations were like in terms of the work load and patient complexity.

So I would definitely play on your clinical experiences and turn them perhaps into a more thinking direction than task-oriented, diaper-changing, medication-giving routine that essentially they are.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks everyone who responded. This is definitely taking up a big chunk of my PS because of its relevance in terms of clinical experience and motivation. It was the pathophys and A&P classes required by nursing, the OR and post-op experiences, the talking over pt's diagnoses and disease etiologies with the more patient and friendly physicians that helped me realize I wouldn't be happy staying with nursing, even advanced practice nursing, (which had been my original plan). We didn't round with the residents or have anything other than incidental contact with med students or doctors. Nursing students are kind of at the bottom of the totem pole, and most of my time was spent doing..."patient hygiene", giving meds, and writing redundant and useless care plans with those (often ridiculous) nursing diagnoses...although I did get a feel for the hospital and exposure to some of the ethical issues doctors face. I won't be mentioning in my PS the bottom-line, superficial kind of thinking that my program encouraged (only care about it if it's on the NCLEX), although that factored in as well in my decision to get out. This kind of emphasis makes sense when you have just a few years to cram in all that info and clinical technique, etc, and it obviously has its place, but I'm a big, over-analytical nerd , so it was incredibly frustrating for me. When I took a couple of basic science summer courses to feel things out, I felt like I was home--finally, explanations! Reasons! Maybe you can relate, blueflower.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll list it as an EC even though it was school, technically.

my time was spent doing..."patient hygiene", giving meds, and writing redundant and useless care plans with those (often ridiculous) nursing diagnoses...although I did get a feel for the hospital and exposure to some of the ethical issues doctors face
lol... I just started first semester nursing and Im doing some of those, I dont like it.
Actually those care plans help me on the exams =/.